This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm, I think I may be retired...

So, I lost my job late last year. The typical Silicon Valley Shuffle, I think, where they lay off about 10-20% of their workforce to hire more later, or to acquire a company with its workers.

I was able to use that to pry a partial distribution of my grandmother's estate from my uncle. Turns out that, together with our savings and retirement accounts, is a pretty good amount. My wife tells me she likes having me around--and not constantly stressed-out from work.

So, pending further discussions with another financial adviser, we may actually be able to make this work! The prognosis after the first discussion that it seemed likely we could make it work, but the big unknown is insurance.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it....
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Keepin' my fingers crossed for ya ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you're getting retired...

Are you getting the wide white-sidewall ones?
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Congratulations!

Maybe if you're worried about paying for insurance, look into getting a part-time job somewhere (not retail!) It'll also ease you in; some people really struggle with going from working full-time to being retired, and up until this point it sounds like you may have been expecting to go back to work.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Yeah, the part-time job is something to keep in the back of my mind. Right now, we're getting platinum-plated COBRA from my wife's last employer, to the tune of an absurd amount of money per month. (But worth it, since we both have chronic health issues and are both a bit older.)

I've been trying to decipher "California Care" (my state's implementation of the ACA) without much success as yet. We have several months to figure that out, though.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

So far, so good. Looks like we can get health-care for about double what we're paying for COBRA, though there may be some sort of subsidy we can get for it. Not sure, as those are generally intended for people who are unable to work, not those who have chosen not to. But at least worth a look.

Da Boss and I have been making travel plans. She was astonished (and surprised) that I researched and booked a trip to DC all on my own, without any prompting from her. I'm going back to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, for the first time since I was a kid! I am looking forward to it.

I've been to a local aviation museum (the Hiller museum) again and enjoyed it. I plan on hitting a couple of auto museums in the area as well. And I've been walking again.

This not having a daily grind is very weird, but I could definitely grow to like it!

Of course, the bills are still coming in, and soon I'll have to dig into savings. Spending went up to some extent, what without a daily grind and all, but hopefully it will drop down again.

Comment

Not much left at the Air and Space museum on the mall. Most of it is now at Udvar Hazy museum.

You also need to hit the Air Force museum in Dayton.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm staying out by Dulles, as the primary intent is to hit the Udvar-Hazy. I don't think it existed the last time I went to the Air & Space museum...

I will go to the AF Museum at some point. I actually worked on restoring an airplane that is there now. It's a B-17, and my detailed highly technical task was to hand my grandfather a screw every time he held out his hand. He was screwing metal strips onto the fabric covering the control surface he was restoring...

Comment

Working...
                X