This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska pictures

I finally got around to making a photo bucket. Here are a few of my better pictures this season. http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/TeysaN/library/Alaska
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

I saw the time lapse video you post last year(?). Your train in now on my bucket list.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Judging by the cruise ship and the fact that you've got the Alaska RR with it, I'm guessing somewhere near either Juneau or Portage (though that seems much less likely, Turnagain Arm didn't have any ports in that area that I knew about).

Beautiful pics. Beautiful state. Can't wait to visit it again

Comment

The train and cruise ship together was actually in Seward. The cruise ship by itself was in Whittier. The train I work on takes cruise ship passengers from Seward to Anchorage and back or from Whittier to Talkeetna and back. We do go past Portage but nowhere Juneau.

It really is an absolutely beautiful ride. I have a lot more pictures on my facebook page. If anyone wants to see those, PM me and I'll add you as a friend.

Comment

Really! I didn't think that the waters at Seward were deep enough for a ship that large. Then again, it does have a noticeable dry dock there (that I just remembered I have a photo of), so I was obviously quite wrong.

I thought I might have recognized Whittier area, but then also thought "That's just wishful thinking" since I haven't been to Alaska since 2006.

Personal recommendation for anybody visiting: A cruise is nice, but Alaska has over 600,000 square miles of land. Make very sure to spend time in the interior. You'll see some of the most beautiful nature in the world if you do.

My next trip, I'm going to make sure to be above the Arctic Circle just to get a picture of me, outside, at midnight, with the sun above the horizon. Probably 2017 from the looks of it right now.

Comment

Seward sits on Resurrection Bay, which is a major harbor. Several cruise ships dock there during the summer. And I agree completely with your recommendation. Conventional wisdom too is if you do combine a cruise and land tour is to do the land tour first. That way, after a week of being herded hither and yon, you have a week to sit by the pool and drink margaritas.

Comment

Working...
            X