X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his backyard

With a shotgun with birdshot...

"Tough guy" owner of the drone and 3 of his buddies showed up, and backed off when they saw the guy had a 10mm on his hip...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ken...ard/ar-AAdGg2x
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

WTF? Drone owner thinks it's OK to hover over someone's backyard and videotape them? Also, stupid to show up with a bunch of his buddies looking for a fight - after all, he already knows 2 things about the guy he's going after: he's pissed off at drone owner, and he's armed (after all, he did shoot the drone down).
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This was on the local news the other day and the guy says he has two young daughters that like to sunbathe in the pool. Heck yeah I'd be concerned about a drone with a camera hovering over my backyard with two underage girls living at home. There really aren't any laws on the books about flying drones in residential areas, but come on. Guy did what he had to in order to keep his family safe.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

yeah... not nessecarily a brilliant response ( if you missed, where would the bullets go) but overall, the guy was within his rights to shoot the drone down, considering he was concerned about pictures being taken of his underage daughters. ( and honestly, if the drone owner reacted like that, I would be suspicious of what teh drone owner was doing with the pictures taken)

edit- oh, reading the article, the guy had considered the risk of hitting someone. I'm not sure he's 100% correct- even with how small birdshot is, it probably can injure someone- but he's right that it wasn't really something to make an issue over. as for the drone owner, I hope HE as a big checkbook, since I can't see any civil reason why he could win a lawsuit for the cost of the drone.

ultimately, this is a case where the drone owner was being an asshole, and suffered the consequences. Oh, and I don't know why the drone owner expects to be able to force the gun owner to pay for the cost of the drone.
        Last edited by sstabeler; 07-30-2015, 11:16 PM.

Comment

From what little info I could find online, it seems that aside from "critical weakpoints" (eyes effectively), if fired straight up, shouldn't do much.

Apparently it's common in crowded dove/duck hunting areas to occasionally be hit by birdshot.

And hey, just checked with my brother who does both and he said, "it hurts, won't kill you though" and "doesn't feel good, but (shrug)". Don't know why I didn't check with him first.

So, legally a bad idea, safety.. not really either, but the risk was minimal.

Plus, they deserved it.
          Last edited by Tee; 07-31-2015, 04:52 AM. Reason: Damn you autocorrect!
          I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

With projectiles, the smaller it is, the faster it loses kinetic energy. That fine-grained shot may be devastating at point-blank range, but is a mere annoyance at any real distance. Shot raining back down after being fired UP at something is unlikely to hurt small animals, much less humans.

And yes, if the property owner had used pistol/rifle rounds, shotgun slugs or larger shot pellets, THAT would have been endangering the populace.

Still, so as not to upset the neighbors, I might start out with a water hose as a warning, and proceed from there. Maybe a nice salt-water loaded supersoaker...

Comment

Dang it, people like that idiot are going to make it so that I can not buy a drone.

I mean, if I took a camera and started filming in your yard, you would be upset. Same principle applies here. Private Property (that you do not own) keep flying. Public Property sure, fly around there, just show some respect and do not spy on one or two people.

I think the operator probably also blew his chances at a lawsuit. Showing up with four guys, trying to intimidate the property owner... maybe, I give the suit a 30/50 chance against (20% to settle out of court or dropped the case). Depends more on the lawyers and the judge, rather than the evidence, at that point.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Idiot's real mistake was launching the drone after the neighbor yelled, "PULL!"
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                  yeah... not nessecarily a brilliant response ( if you missed, where would the bullets go)
                  Birdshot if aimed at you at close range can injure you.

But by the time it comes down after being fired into the air, it's about as harmless as a handful of sand thrown into the air.

Being so small, the pellets have a really large surface area to mass ratio and thus slow rapidly from air drag.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Idiot's real mistake was launching the drone after the neighbor yelled, "PULL!"
                    I laughed aloud, and startled a student who was walking by. XD
                    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      the guy says he has two young daughters that like to sunbathe in the pool
                      Sounds kind of pervy to me.
                      There really aren't any laws on the books about flying drones in residential areas
                      IANAL, but every state has trespassing and stalking laws.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                        Birdshot if aimed at you at close range can injure you.

But by the time it comes down after being fired into the air, it's about as harmless as a handful of sand thrown into the air.

Being so small, the pellets have a really large surface area to mass ratio and thus slow rapidly from air drag.
                        Also, they have less mass/terminal velocity than a bullet.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          IANAL, but every state has trespassing and stalking laws.
                          True, but I don't think those laws take drones specifically into account. Some kind of legislation is bound to come out of this.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

True, but I don't think those laws take drones specifically into account.
                            Most stalking laws mention photography and video surveillance, so the drone operator is screwed.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              Most stalking laws mention photography and video surveillance, so the drone operator is screwed.
                              Depends on if they can get his videos. Hopefully, Idiot lives up to his title and has not destroyed the evidence.
                              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X