Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$55 in store credit isn't enough, I want to commit coupon fraud (& bonus story)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $55 in store credit isn't enough, I want to commit coupon fraud (& bonus story)

I want free items. So we have a deal on diapers that if you buy 2 of a certain kind, you get a $10 merch. credit good at our store. This woman got 3 of those. Then, there was a coupon that allowed a $25 one because she spent enough in that dept. That's really generous, but it is valid and it came out fine. The problem came when she had 3 manufacturer coupons that allowed her to buy one, get a large amount off the other (or free, don't remember, but it was a large amount--expensive diapers you know...). I wasn't even sure I could take them, but I scanned them knowing that they would require an override because of the amount, so if I couldn't the sup. would let me know. He did. He read them and saw it was one coupon per customers. She wanted all 3, on top of all the other discounts. She argued that the other store had done it. So? They do a lot of things they're not supposed to.... Sup. said "That's not us." He wasn't even going to entertain that; love him. He did offer her the option of doing them in separate transactions, which we didn't have to do, but oh no--she wouldn't get the merch. credits. She was put out and tried to argue one more time that we did it at our store. I immediately asked if she knew who that was, since they were breaking policy and we needed to address that. She didn't know, of course. I think she scrapped it altogether because I didn't see her in the store again.

and almost outright fraud: Guy had a picture of a raincheck on his phone and I decided to scan it anyway. I figured if it wasn't ok the system would let me know, and it did, with a big red screen. We don't take those. So I called Boss Lady over and she had a convo with him. She asked where he'd gotten it from and he said his friend. She told him that we don't take electronic ones because people pass them around to each other and take advantage. He was unhappy that he couldn't get $25 off for just showing a picture of a raincheck. He asked "Who should I say I talked to when I call corporate?" She told him and even offered to get the number for him. Ha! She's not afraid of him. He declined, saying "I'll find it." Go ahead, dude. Complain that she wouldn't allow your shady practices. I'm sure corp. will love that.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Ugh, crazy couponers. For those that abide by the rules of the coupon, I wish them much success and congrats on getting an awesome deal. And then...the others. Yes, you have to buy what the coupon tells you to buy, and no, you can't decide that only portions of the coupon are applicable. *sigh*
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Exactly. As in you can't use a "get $3 off when you buy 2" manufacturer's coupon AND a "buy one get one free"manufacturer's coupon for the 3 bottles of shampoo you are buying. First of all, you have to buy all the same brand to use the same manufacturer's coupons. Second of all, for the second coupon, you have BUY one of that type to get one free. Third of all, no one can use two manufacturer's coupons on the same products.

So, no. You can't buy 3 bottles of shampoo, use the first coupon to get $3 off, and then use the second coupon to get one free. ESPECIALLY when they are not all the same brand!!!

The sad part???? This was a co-worker

Comment

"They do a lot of things they're not supposed to...."

Man, this "They" guy, who was working "last week" has gotta be the world's worst employee, but somehow manages to work everywhere and get fired nowhere.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          Man, this "They" guy, who was working "last week" has gotta be the world's worst employee, but somehow manages to work everywhere and get fired nowhere.

they're ninjas, and why custys pester people that obviously don't work in the store, it may be one of the retail ninjas that give great deals just because you ask!
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

We had this couple who would get a bunch of trial sizes and try to use coupons for them. They could speak perfectly good English until you pointed out to them that the coupon said no trial sizes. Then all of a sudden they didn't understand.
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

When I was a military commissary cashier we had a certain latitude about accepting coupons: Take it or leave it. Plus, we had the right to ban people for a period of time or forever. That was nice, as our hierarchy didn't tolerate a lot from the customers. Oh, people tried. I had a female (can't call her "lady") who came through my line with a huge package of ribs that had somehow been labeled with "$0.00." Now, it was posted all over the place that the meat came from a contractor and as such didn't fall under the rule of "You get it for the marked price". Since this was a customer who had caused me no end of grief on other occasions I didn't even bother trying to explain, I just bellowed for the store manager. Our store manager was great - very nice lady, but nobody messed with her. She told the customer flatly that there were signs posted all over the place about the meat prices, so we'd reweigh it and rewrap it for her if she still wanted it. Well, she backed down, so the manager sent me back to the meat department with the package. I handed it to the meat supervisor and told him what had happened (cue laughter for me referring to it as "a whole xylophone of ribs - I was young then) so he reweighed and rewrapped it. She tried to get close to $15 dollars' worth of ribs for free at 1984 prices. Now, I've been told that we should have let her have it for free since it was marked that way, but it was posted all over the place that the meat didn't fall under the "price marked" rule. This happened several times, but the rest of the customers it happened to had the sense to bring it to someone's attention. I'm sure this would have been a major disaster in a civilian supermarket.

Comment

One time I was buying stuff that had a posted "buy X amount, save X on your next purchase." Since it was non-perishables that I will always need (garbage bags) and they were already on sale I bought a bunch. The cashier saw what I had and nervously said that the discount would be on my next purchase. I'm like, yup! I think that was nearly a year ago and I haven't run out yet.

I do use coupons, but I don't abuse them, which is what SCs don't understand. They feel like they should be able to pester the cashier and get their way. After all, they have a coupon. Plus, they read an article someplace in the interweb that told them that stores are ripping them off! So they aren't doing anything dishonest, they're just getting what they're owed!
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh Jesus does THIS thread bring up memories & none of them good

Back during my service in the CVS trenches we had the "couponers" who would come in with huge binders FULL of 'em & hold up one register (usually manned by yours truly) for over an HOUR OR MORE trying to get their total as close to 0.00 as they could

But in particular we had this particular group who were Middle Eastern & they'd try to slip past expired coupons, coupons for stuff they didn't buy & coupons that they'd clipped in such a way that they'd cut the expiry date off. Plus they'd have me scan everything, then scan the coupons & if they didn't like the total they'd make me start voiding crap off.

Finally, it got to the point that the store manager, who was nice but DO NOT FUCK WITH HER type passed the decree that the next time they came in & tried to pull all this crap. That I was to tell them BEFORE I rang ANYTHING up that once I'd scanned it, there would be NO VOIDING WHATSOEVER, once I'd scanned it they're were paying for it END OF STORY, which btw, I was only TOO HAPPY to tell them 'cause frankly I was sick of these people trying to screw it up for everyone else. And yes before anyone jumps down my throat, they KNEW FULL WELL what they were doing

It finally got to the point that if they even SAW the SM in the store before they even got into the store, they'd do a complete 180 & would leave

And then we were once running a big sale on CVS brand stuff, I think it was BOGO free..Anyhow, we had another couple who strolled in at about 8:30 one night & when they saw the sale in our flyer, they grabbed 2 or 3 buggies & CLEARED OUT WHOLE SHELVES of CVS brand stuff, I mean the buggies were OVERFLOWING. Well at about 9pm (we closed at 10pm) the assistant manager who was as strict about limits as the SM saw them & told them that there was a limit (and it's been so long now I don't remember what exactly the limit was) but they ended up ditching all of it & leaving us with all that SHIT to put away at an hour to closing..Which btw, it was just myself & the manager on duty & the majority of the stuff they had was too far away from the front end for me to put away so the manager & I had to stay late after closing to put it all up

So yeah, I feel yall's pain..been there done that got the frigging t-shirt
                  "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

I kept getting folks using coupons for say $1 off two or more of a specific item. So the custy would bring up a 2-pack of toothpaste and insist I had to take their coupon. A two-pack is packed in a single package with a single barcode, and the coupon required scanning two separate barcodes. I would explain I had to scan two separate barcodes in order to use the coupon, and people would get angry, because "it's the same thing?!?!". No, it isn't.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      I kept getting folks using coupons for say $1 off two or more of a specific item. So the custy would bring up a 2-pack of toothpaste and insist I had to take their coupon. A two-pack is packed in a single package with a single barcode, and the coupon required scanning two separate barcodes. I would explain I had to scan two separate barcodes in order to use the coupon, and people would get angry, because "it's the same thing?!?!". No, it isn't.
                      Sure about that? Sometimes the barcode on the coupon works with any and all products made by the manufacturer issuing the coupon. This is how a scammer can use a coupon for a full-sized product on a trial-size item. Then they say "You have to take the coupon if it scans!"
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                        A two-pack is packed in a single package with a single barcode, and the coupon required scanning two separate barcodes. I would explain I had to scan two separate barcodes in order to use the coupon, and people would get angry, because "it's the same thing?!?!". No, it isn't.
                        If the coupon says it can't be combined with other offers, you can say that the 2-pack is inherently discounted.

Comment

My favorite (not) is people who try to use a $1-off-two coupon when it's already BOGO. The system sees that you're only paying for one, so it rejects the coupon as the quantity isn't satisfied.

In theory I could force it through but I've become extremely protective of my SCO card (my name, my responsibility to explain any override actions). I just tell them I can't do anything and to go to the desk with the receipt...depending on who's driving the desk they may get their way

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                          So, no. You can't buy 3 bottles of shampoo, use the first coupon to get $3 off, and then use the second coupon to get one free. ESPECIALLY when they are not all the same brand!!!

The sad part???? This was a co-worker
                          Ugh. There's one CW like that here; some of us suspect--but can't prove--that she's pocketing the "$X off your next purchase" coupons that print at the register as she uses way too many of them. She'll only try her coupon shenanigans (various types of fraud) at SCO, and only when I'm on. I've started just sending her to the desk to cash out as I have enough toddler tantrums to deal with.
                          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-26-2016, 02:31 PM.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            but can't prove--that she's pocketing the "$X off your next purchase" coupons that print at the register
                            That's technically naughty at my store--they consider that the customers' property--but sometimes if they are laying around management will collect them in a box for us to rummage through. It's a mixed message.

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post

So yeah, I feel yall's pain..been there done that got the frigging t-shirt
                              There's a T-shirt? Nobody told me there was a T-shirt!
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X