This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Office Blues

Every now and then I have to go to the post office to drop off PO BOX's that UPS won't ship. I hate doing it because the post office, 80% of the time, is a nightmare. This time was no different, but it is almost never the post office workers faults.

Never shipped before?

I was 4th in line and this girl walks up with one of the post offices pre-made boxes.

Woman: I need this shipped here please
    Postal Worker: this box isn't taped shut.
    W: I need to tape it shut? I thought you do it.
    P: no, no. Here, you can use this tape. You're mailing it priority right?
    W. yup, I believe so.
    P: ok then this tape (with Priority written all over it) will do.

When I am next in line she shuffles back to the register (I didn't get mad for cutting because the worker told her to just come up when ready and I was in no rush).

W: here you are! all done!
    P: where is the address?
    W: huh... oh... I taped over it... (that's right... she taped up the box so much she taped over the address.
    P:.... ok, well here is a sticker, just write it real quick.

She writes in relatively quickly and by this time I am being helped by another Clerk beside her.

P: there you are. Ok, priority will be $****
    W: Oh no, I wanted this Parcel, I don't have enough for priority.
    P: but you said that was how you're sending it... and the tape says priority all over it. Including the label I gave you to rewrite the address.
    W: well I didn't know! I need a new box!

By this time I was on my way out... Thank god.

No you can't flatten a book

Another time I was at the USPS a woman was trying her hardest to fit a 4 inch high book into an envelope, then into one of those A2 sized bubble letter bags. Each time she was refused and the Clerk kept repeating "you can't ship this book in anything but a box. it is too high to be shipped any way else. Those are the rules". She attempted, I believe, 4 times before the clerk came around and picked out a box for her to ship it in.

Shipping via Miller Light

I think one out of ever five times I have been to the post office someone has tried to ship something in a box that should never be shipped. Sometimes it's a beat up box that USPS refuses to take since insurance would be a waste. But most of the time it's some idiot who packed their stuff in a beer case box. Not the thick kind you would get 24 bottles in found at a large beer distributer. the smaller thin kind you would get at a grocery store that has to be folded oddly to even resemble the shape of a box. It's usually taped up with duct tape and scotch tape. And nearly every time I see that the person is shocked, SHOCKED I say, to hear that it is not a box the USPS will take.

Quoth Mottom24 View Post
    No you can't flatten a book

Another time I was at the USPS a woman was trying her hardest to fit a 4 inch high book into an envelope, then into one of those A2 sized bubble letter bags. Each time she was refused and the Clerk kept repeating "you can't ship this book in anything but a box. it is too high to be shipped any way else. Those are the rules". She attempted, I believe, 4 times before the clerk came around and picked out a box for her to ship it in.
    thats odd ive even mailed even text books in envelopes. the only ones i would not envelope mail would be like an over sized art book.....

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      thats odd ive even mailed even text books in envelopes. the only ones i would not envelope mail would be like an over sized art book.....

it may have been more than 4 inches. whatever size it was, it was struggling to even stay in an envelope. it was far too large to put into any of their flat packaging.

Comment

If the envelope can't stay closed with it's own flap it can not be used.

Comment

Quoth Mottom24 View Post
          W: I need to tape it shut? I thought you do it.
          I've done this before. One Christmas, a cashier at the main postoffice was reinforcing and taping over everyone's boxes, including mine. The employee seemed concerned about my tape job (I'd taped the sucker quite well, actually) and I assumed that was standard practice at the post office. I found out the truth the next Christmas when the cashier made me go buy tape for my open package.

Quoth Mottom24 View Post
          Shipping via Miller Light
          Recently saw a guy shipping using a beer case box that obviously had been saturated in the brew. The box reeked from many feet away. At least I hope it was the box...
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

OT, but regarding the boxes like beer cases, at least with the big sturdy ones, if they're not too smelly, you can just turn them inside-out. Voila, instant shippable box!

I recently shipped something in a shoebox (sturdy one), but covered the shoebox labelling by wrapping the whole thing in kraft paper and taping it up securely. I love that trick.

Re: Priority Girl...oh, suck it up and deal, or pay attention the first time. I've had to ship something Priority before when I wasn't planning to because I grabbed the wrong envelope. Oops.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              All of my college text books that I kept are less that 4" thick. Even the Big Physics Textbook of DOOOOM (1200-1300 high gloss, high clay content, pages, used for all the physics classes from 100s through 300s [$80 used in `93]) is about 3" thick. Maybe some medical texts, or possibly the annotated side-by-side translated bibles for the divinity school got bigger than 4".

Considering 4" is just about half as tall as a 20 oz (592mL) soda bottle here in the states, you may be overestimating your texts. Lord knows they all feel about a foot thick and made of lead when I had to haul them back to the dorms after classes.
              Last edited by Geek King; 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM. Reason: wrong conversion. tired math fail.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Four inches does make a damn big book. The heaviest book I can find in my collection is about 1.5" thick (it has a very large page size), though I think I have one or two paperback story collections which are 2" thick.

Such a book would be ineligible for letter post purely by weight, never mind size.

Comment

Working...
                X