This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just shut up and pay attention!

Saw "127 Hours" with Hubs the other day. ('Twas a very good movie, though I left the theatre clutching my arm tenderly and feeling a bit queasy. Hubs took great amusement in teasing me about it.)

One thing I could have done without, though, was the woman behind us. Throughout the film, she was constantly barraging her boyfriend(?) with questions of...

"What's happening? What's going on? Why is he doing that? What is that? What is he drinking? Who is that? What's going on?" About every five minutes, throughout the whole freakin' movie!!!

I wanted to turn around, smack her, and tell her, "Why don't you shut up and pay attention, and maybe you'll find out???"

When the guy gets his arm stuck, she asked her BF "Oh my God! How is he going to get it out?" Um....you do know what the whole premise of the movie is, right? You do remember when the story (that the movie is based on) broke and was in the news big time? No? Well, aren't you in for a nice surprise then....

I really hate people who talk during movies, especially when they have nothing smart to say.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post

I wanted to turn around, smack her, and tell her, "Why don't you shut up and pay attention, and maybe you'll find out???"

Next time, do just this. People like this are counting on everyone else being too polite to speak up. Sometimes, polite behavior is overrated. Like in this instance. "We didn't pay twenty bucks to listen to you run your mouth, so shut up!" works pretty well, too.

I wouldn't smack her, though. Well, actually, I would, but I wouldn't do it till I was hit first.

I hate being the only one pissed off.

Comment

Oh my God, I HATE people who do that at the movies. Double points if it's because they've been playing on their phones and that's why they can't follow the plot.

Unfortunately, my bf asks all those annoying questions, but it's because of his ADHD. Weirdly enough, mindfuck movies like Shutter Island and Inception keep his attention and he can follow the entire thing, but any old movie, even the most predictable of plots, he can't follow to save his own life.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That drives me nuts; even worse is when it's a guy narrating some action film to his GF because she can't grasp the storyline.

'OMG Brad, why is that guy, like, shooting that other guy!?'
        'Because babe, that guy is the psycho criminal mastermind that murdered the cop's son on the carousel at the beginning of the movie...'

DIE PLAY-BY-PLAY MOVIEGOERS, DIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

i have been known to turn around/lean forward and say loudly, in my best schoolteacher voice "Will you PLEASE stop talking, we are all trying to watch this film", and it ALWAYS works You need a good schoolteacher voice!
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            Oh my God, I HATE people who do that at the movies. Double points if it's because they've been playing on their phones and that's why they can't follow the plot.

Unfortunately, my bf asks all those annoying questions, but it's because of his ADHD. Weirdly enough, mindfuck movies like Shutter Island and Inception keep his attention and he can follow the entire thing, but any old movie, even the most predictable of plots, he can't follow to save his own life.
            Hubby and I are the same way, especially if one of us knows the story better or like I had to use the bathroom or something like that.

However, we never go to a packed movie, because of this reason.
            Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
            http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I havent been to a movie theatre in a few years,cause of this very reason. I cant take it. And last time I went to a movie my whole drink got spilled on me by teenage girls rough housing in the lobby. I cant do it. Same reason I cant go to walmart. Too many morons. Or as my hubby calls them unwashed uneducated masses.

Comment

My mom is like this, although thankfully not in the movie theater -- just when we're watching at home. The worst is that she always asks questions about stuff that hasn't happened yet! Dude! Just watch the dang movie and you'll find out; I don't KNOW why so-and-so is doing such-and-such!

Obviously it drives me nuts. :P

Comment

My mom is terrible about that at home as well.......she doesn't even sit and watch the entire movie or TV show, she cooks or cleans or goes upstairs to go online....then randomly walks into the livingroom and asks Dad what's going on, why is this person dead, wait is that person still alive? Did the baby come yet?

I don't live with them anymore, but on holidays or times where I have to spend a day or two there......ye gads, it's so annoying. If you don't even plan on watching or trying to watch and understand, don't ask questions and annoy everyone.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                    My mom is terrible about that at home as well.......she doesn't even sit and watch the entire movie or TV show, she cooks or cleans or goes upstairs to go online....then randomly walks into the livingroom and asks Dad what's going on, why is this person dead, wait is that person still alive? Did the baby come yet?

I don't live with them anymore, but on holidays or times where I have to spend a day or two there......ye gads, it's so annoying. If you don't even plan on watching or trying to watch and understand, don't ask questions and annoy everyone.
                    THIS this is my mum exactly. And if she misses the ending, OH NOZ!

except I still live with my parents.
                    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

bleh.
                      spoilers in case someone doesn't know what happens in the movie (i went to wiki myself cos... yeah bleh)
                      (just the thought of self amputation creeps me out. i mean it's one thing to have a doctor do it when you're unconscious but to have to do it yourself... *shudder*)

Comment

My mother was always saying "what did they say"...and it drove me fucking nuts. My bf does it now too and I just shrug and do an automatic I don't know. Thank god now at least with the dvr I can rewind if I miss something cause he can't just shut up.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Marszenka View Post
                          The worst is that she always asks questions about stuff that hasn't happened yet! Dude! Just watch the dang movie and you'll find out; I don't KNOW why so-and-so is doing such-and-such!
                          Mine too! Except she does it at the movies, too. So annoying. Mom, seriously, I have no idea. Ask me at the end of the movie if you still don't understand.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

My daughter does this too. Biggest difference? She's four. She kind of has that whole "at that asking-questions-about-everything stage." Still bugs me and I usually have to respond with "What do you think?" just to get her to pay attention instead of asking me why-this and why-that.

Adults doing this, in a theater? Please, for the love of Pete, just hush up and watch. You can ask your questions afterward.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Of course, back in the silent movie days, this kind of thing was the norm.

Recent immigrants, who couldn't read English yet, would go to the movies with their kids who'd learned English in school, and every time an intertitle would come up on screen, from all over the theater you'd hear in Yiddish, Italian, Russian and twenty other languages, "WHAT DOES IT SAY!"

Comment

Working...
                              X