This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowed to cut in line - long

Just a few stories I've picked up from the military.

Lining up by rank
    My last ship did this. They had a "First Class Line" on the aft port messline. (That's the back left line to you land lubbers). Anyone ranked E6 could line up there for chow and get to the food somewhat faster than the people ranked E5 or below.

It wasn't a total "ahead of everyone else" line, just a shorter line for them. One of the mess deck master-at-arms would designate how many from each line could proceed, to keep it from becoming unfair.

Head of the line privileges
    On that same last ship they sometimes granted individuals the right to go to the head of the line. Mainly this applied to chow and liberty call. But it was earned somewhat.

One of my coworkers (S) had a chit, signed by the Captain, that gave him this privilege for 30 days, as a bonus for reenlisting. He LOVED using it for liberty call, cos (we were on deployment) it meant being among the first people off the ship after we moored - and it meant his liberty buddies got it too cos, the ship's rules dictated that you couldn't take liberty in a foreign port alone.

In the chow line he didn't use it as much unless he wanted to piss someone off...

Piss off 1: pretty simple. He just saw an E6 whom he disliked. So even though the E6 was in the First Class Line S, flashed his card and went ahead of that E6 specifically. The E6 groaned and grumbled a little but he knew that S had the right to do it.

Piss off 2: A bunch of low-ranked AO's (aviation ordinance) budged ahead of S in the breakfast line and pulled attitude over it.

AOs: What are you going to do about it?
    S: This. *he flashes the card and budges ahead of them*
    AOs: !!!!!! *furious!*

There was an MA (navy "cop") nearby and the AOs whined to him about S.
    MA: *looks at S's card* His card is signed by the CO. He can cut in line.

I think the AOs were still mad but... heh, S was pretty smug about it. Cos if they had asked him nicely he probably wouldn't have had any issue with them. But since they decided to act like they were better than anyone else (even higher ranking people), he was more than happy to piss them off.

Challenge Coin - Liberty head of the line
    Challenge coins actually have a lot of traditions in the Navy. These coins (not to be confused with purchasable memorabilia coins) are gifted by Commanding officers or other high ranked officers... usually as unofficial rewards for specific jobs, or sometimes as a prize.

Drinking tradition: If you're at the bar and tap your challenge coin on the table, everyone you're with has to pull out their coins and tap them too. The person without a coin buys the next round. Or if everyone has a coin, the person with the lowest ranked coin buys.

Liberty tradition: Some challenge coins allow the bearer "head of the line" privilege. I'm not sure about the chow line but... well at least for liberty. One of the men I knew had an Admiral's coin that he was allowed to use for this.

Base exchange, in uniform, during lunch
    All bases have this rule. If you are in the base store, in uniform, during lunch, you have the right to go to the head of the line. I actually had someone offer to let me go ahead once just because of that, but I declined, stating that I was already off work for the day.

However not everyone really understands this rule. As related to me by my BF this apparently happened on the base here... An officer's wife tried to cut ahead of uniformed military during lunch. When she was told that she couldn't cut ahead, she tried to intimidate them by informing them just WHO her husband was.

So... they called him up and had him come down to the base store. So that he could explain to his wife that his rank did not entitle her to cut ahead in line. And that during lunch, any military in uniform had the RIGHT to cut ahead of her.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    Just a few stories I've picked up from the military.

Piss off 2: A bunch of low-ranked AO's (aviation ordinance) budged ahead of S in the breakfast line and pulled attitude over it.

AOs: What are you going to do about it?
    S: This. *he flashes the card and budges ahead of them*
    AOs: !!!!!! *furious!*

<snip>

So... they called him up and had him come down to the base store. So that he could explain to his wife that his rank did not entitle her to cut ahead in line. And that during lunch, any military in uniform had the RIGHT to cut ahead of her.

Awesome pwnage.

I bet wifey got a second talking to later on in the day. That kind of thing can get officers in trouble, IIRC.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
      I bet wifey got a second talking to later on in the day. That kind of thing can get officers in trouble, IIRC.
      Oh, geez... I don't know who is more hated, the wives who brag about their husband's rank, or the kids.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        Oh, geez... I don't know who is more hated, the wives who brag about their husband's rank, or the kids.

^-.-^
        The husbands who throw their wives' ranks around. Yes, I've seen it. Somehow he thought the fact that a woman got to a high rank meant that people would think she wasn't one to piss off, and hand him the world. Even the dreaded "officers' wives" stereotype hated him when he pulled that.
        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Challenge Coin - Liberty head of the line
          Challenge coins actually have a lot of traditions in the Navy. These coins (not to be confused with purchasable memorabilia coins) are gifted by Commanding officers or other high ranked officers... usually as unofficial rewards for specific jobs, or sometimes as a prize.
          Drinking tradition: If you're at the bar and tap your challenge coin on the table, everyone you're with has to pull out their coins and tap them too. The person without a coin buys the next round. Or if everyone has a coin, the person with the lowest ranked coin buys.
          Liberty tradition: Some challenge coins allow the bearer "head of the line" privilege. I'm not sure about the chow line but... well at least for liberty. One of the men I knew had an Admiral's coin that he was allowed to use for this.
          I REMEMBER THOSE!!! I still have mine! Hee, never went anywhere without them! Awww, I'm all nostalgic now...

But grrr...that wife made me mad!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I REMEMBER THOSE!!! I still have mine! Hee, never went anywhere without them! Awww, I'm all nostalgic now...

But grrr...that wife made me mad!
            Rob still has his challenge coin too

One of my EVE Online sidekicks has a challenge coin from SecNav from a seminar he went to in DC this past fall. He is looking forward to when he finally gets to enlist
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Our rule is if you pull a coin check and everyone has theirs, you are buying the beer or doing pushups. Hubby had a Captain and Command Sgt Maj pushing when they didn't have theirs one day. They were Batt boys, and had even served with him there so they knew better...lol

Comment

i spoke to my BF about the officer's wife. Her hubby wasn't as high ranking as i thought... just an LCDR. (which makes more sense cos usually when officer hits O6 or higher the spouse often has to learn about manners, cos the spouse's actions can really affect the career.)

and you know i like the pushup rule cos... sometimes you can't afford to buy the table a round of drinks.

as for my own coins... i have only one that was given to me, as a thank-you gift for joining the VFW. so for a challenge coin i think it's kinda low-man on the totem pole.

which reminds me... of the episode of NCIS where DiNozzo gets a coin from the SecNav and he commented on never having to buy a drink again.

Comment

All bases have this rule. If you are in the base store, in uniform, during lunch, you have the right to go to the head of the line. I actually had someone offer to let me go ahead once just because of that, but I declined, stating that I was already off work for the day.

However not everyone really understands this rule. As related to me by my BF this apparently happened on the base here... An officer's wife tried to cut ahead of uniformed military during lunch. When she was told that she couldn't cut ahead, she tried to intimidate them by informing them just WHO her husband was.

Oh, I've seen SO many of those officer's wives over the years - and love seeing them get their come uppence, which happens quite often. On the same note, some base shops have parking spaces for those above a certain rank, on the premise that they're time is valuable, during the work day they need to be able to get in and out quick. Always hated seeing those officers' wives, without their husbands, using those spaces (if caught, they got told off, but rarely got caught, darn it).

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

and you know i like the pushup rule cos... sometimes you can't afford to buy the table a round of drinks.
                    Yeah, they started doing that because you get a squad size element of Rangers after being in the field for a week or so and....yeah....

Comment

and love seeing them get their come uppence
                      ya. like one story i heard (through family)...

that there was trouble at the wives' club because of rank-pulling of some spouses upon the others etc...

supposedly it was fixed when a high ranking officer came to one of the meetings and asked everyone to line up by rank. after they lined up according to the spouse's rank the officer informed them that they were incorrect... "You have no rank."

Comment

"You have no rank."
                        Nice. I never did get why people would think that they essentially could pull their spouses rank, I mean if your spouse was a cop you couldn't write people tickets and you couldn't diagnose people because your spouse was a doctor, why should military rank be any different .

Comment

I saw a vet's challenge coin once, while I was still in retail. I was talking about one of the Call of Duty games with my CW Hoss, and the customer I was helping overheard me. Pulled out his coin and explained how it worked. The version he told explains that everyone must pull out their coin as well, you don't have it, you're buying. If everyone present has their coin, then you're buying.

He related a story wherein he saw someone pull that in a bar with some two hundred veterans or other in it, and ended up having to buy for the entire bar.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

All bases have this rule. If you are in the base store, in uniform, during lunch, you have the right to go to the head of the line.
                            DH is former military (disabled vet). As such, both he and I have military ID, and are allowed to shop on Base. I don't care WHAT time of day it is, if somebody in uniform gets in line behind me, I'm going to OFFER to let them cut ahead of me! THEY are the ones currently serving. I can wait!
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

o yeah i forgot about another "head of the line" thing...

at least at the navy exchanges i've been to, disabled patrons get to go in a half hour early. so that's kinda "head of the line" ish...

Comment

Working...
                              X