This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probable sighting at vid store

I didn't see what transpired, all I heard was the SC's remark.

Hubs and I were at the video rental store to get something to watch for the night. We were on our way up to the check-out counter, while a family (our neighbors) were walking away.

The woman shot a look at the clerk and practically shouted to her offspring, "It doesn't matter, she's obviously retarded and doesn't know anything."
    Given how loudly the remark was made, I'm fairly certain it was directed at the clerk and meant to be overheard.

The clerk at the counter had a "holding it together" look -- mouth was smiling, but eyes were clearly pissed off.

Methinks the clerk just didn't give the SC the answer she was looking for. I've always found the staff at this location to be extremely friendly and helpful. I didn't witness what led to that remark, but I have a hard time picturing them doing something to deserve the remark. And given past encounters with this neighbor (getting into fights with another neighbor, shooting the evil-eye at everyone who drives past), I think I'm going to have to throw her into the SC category.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

As a former video store manager, I know for a fact that statement could have sprung from anything. My top guesses would be:

1. Clerk told customer he/she had a late fee when clearly the customer had an oh-so-important reason for the movie being late.

2. Clerk told the customer that super-hot new release was out of stock. Bonus points if this took place on the first weekend after the movie was released.

3. Clerk told the customer that the video didn't carry some obsure older title. Bonus points if the clerk didn't have to look in the computer to know that.

This is stirring up some old memories...may have to post some stories later.

Comment

4. Customer is insisting the name of the movie she's wanting is something so far off that there's no way it's right, but is still demanding that the store *must* have it in stock!!1!ELEVENTY11!!!

5. Clerk made the mistake of correcting the CS about what famous actor/actress stars in said movie.

6. Clerk made the mistake (even though she was asked) of giving an honest opinion of a movie they were renting (and the opinion conflicted with the renter's). Damn her for having an opinion! /sarcasm

I can't wait to hear some of those stories, Coasterchick! to
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

7. Clerk didn't know what the SC wanted when she described it as "that movie with that guy in it, you know who I mean, it came out several years ago and it also had this woman in it..."
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

8. Clerk advised SC that it was still in theater, and not out on DVD yet

Comment

9. Clerk told SC that film isn't suitable for kids, especially when kid brings it to the counter. (HOW can my kid be wrong?????)

Comment

Y'know, I've never understood why people get funny about late fees. When I was in college, I had a video out when a big ice storm blew through. When I went to take the video back the next day, I found my truch tire frozen to the ground in 5-6" of ice. I was parked in the back lot, so there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I just called the BB I had rented from and told them to not bother with the call about the video, I'd be in when I could break the truck free. I paid the fee, too. Without the drama about it.

Now, I have fought late fees before, usually when I did get the video back, but some SNAFU caused it to not get checked back in. However, I was always polite, and didn't take it out on the employees.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

10. The movie is soooo old that the lady's lucky if it is even still available in VHS, much less been re-released in DVD format.

11. If it was a certain BB vid store, the lady may wanted the clerk to access their account to print out/write down the coupon code for whatever juicy freebie BB gave them that month. How dare the clerk imply that it's the customer's responsibility to bring any coupons with them to the store?!?!
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Only time I have ever asked for a late fee to be forgiven was right after BB went to their "pay by the day" late fee thing. Where they charge the dollar a day? Didn't tell me when I checked them out. Now, granted, I was late. But I was within their old system of "no late fees if turned in within the next five days".

Irritated me, but the next time I rented a movie, I paid the late fee anyway.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I guess I've been doing it all wrong....
                    1. When a new movie is out...bitch up a storm...Might get free stuff
                    2. Explain what I want in vague terms and then berate the cashier when they can't figure its Star Wars I want to see...You know that movie with all those guys dressed in white and that one guy dressed in black and that drug addict playing some sort of nobility....
                    3. Decide that I want to watch Albanian Movies (I think that is obscure enough) and then berate the Video Store because, "this is the worst selection of Albanian movies I've see...It's not like that store in Tirana".
                    4. Look at some other customer getting "Ishtar" and commenting on how that is the worst movie ever. Bonus points if it's Dustin Hoffman renting hte movie.

Comment

You still have video rental STORES near you? Damn, all of them went out of business last year around me.

Comment

Working...
                      X