This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old "I bought it from you" crap.

1. We don't support that version. End of story.

The big box store we answer support calls for sells two versions of Big 3 antivirus software: our store-licensed version and the retail version. The difference basically is that you have to go to the vendor for support on the retail version (the big benefit is we're open 24x7, they're open Mon-Fri 9-5).

Most customers are fine when I tell them they have a retail version and to call the vendor. Some are not, like this guy....

Me: I noticed that you have a retail copy, because of this the vendor does not authorize us to provide support. You will have to contact [vendor].

SC: But I bought it from you, not them!

Me: Right but as I said, we are NOT authorized to support the retail version. I can give you there number....

SC: I demand you help me. I did not buy it from them, I bought it from you!

Me: Again, you must contact the vendor. I could actually get in trouble for supporting a product we are not authorized to support.

SC: So you don't want to help me because you don't want to get your wrist slapped, is that it?

Me: No sir, but as I said....

SC: I'm going to hang up and get someone with more willingness than you. Bye.

*Click.*

I read the next tech's notes: "Per previous tech product is a retail version, told cust to call vendor, client got upset and hung up."

2. Comparing a TV recall to an infamous car recall is a bad idea....

The big TV vendor we support starting with S had an issue with some of their projection TVs where the screen would start turning with green, yellow or both. The issue was so bad S had to issue a manufacturer recall on the sets.

This SC had such an issue, and the TV was out of warranty and he had no service plan from us. In order to take advantage of the recall he had to contact S. Easy, right? Nope....

Me: If you want us to repair the set it will be $150 to diagnose it then the agent will tell you the price for parts and labor (I have to tell him our repair option first)....

SC: Wait a minute, this TV was recalled by S for this problem. You will not be charging me!

Me: That is a manufacturer recall, as such if you want to have the set repaired for free you will need to contact S.

SC: That is not really fair. I bought it from you, not S!

Me: Right but again, manufacturer recalls will have to be dealt with the manufacturer.

SC: Do you remember the Ford Firestone Tires recall?

Me: Um, yeah?

SC: Did the Dealers tell the customers to contact Ford or Firestone? No! They ate the cost and replaced the tires at the dealer, the place that sold them the cars!

Me: *Thinking: don't mess with someone who grew up around cars and whose father raced.* In that case the dealers had a contract where Ford and Firestone replaced the tires at the dealer at their expense. We have no contact with S to replace the recalled part at their expense, therefore we cannot do the repairs for free, nor can we call them about this. You would have to contact S, there is no easy way to say it.

SC: Okay, just like Ford had to fix a potentially dangerous problem with their cars you need to work with me to get this potentially dangerous problem with my TV fixed!

Me: *Thinking: Now he's done it. I don't care if I failed an audit.* No offense sir but the most dangerous thing about the TV issue is that the screen will turn green, yellow or both. Ford's issue caused lives to be lost and that's why they were replaced at the dealer at Ford's and Firestone's expense. It's a bit of a lopsided comparison.

SC: Take it however you want but I am not being punted to S.

Me: Sorry sir, but I don't know what else to tell you. You will need to contact S, let me give you their number....

SC: I'll just get someone else who understands my needs better, goodbye.

*Click.*

A tech on the next row got him, where the tech told him the same thing as me. It became a SUP call and the sup who took the call told him the same thing. Sup had to hang up on the guy because the SC started cursing him out.

I had a SC like this a few days ago. They asked me to do something that was against policy that first time it's done is a automatic write-up, no warning.

Me: I'm sorry, but that is against policy and I can not do that.
    SC: But other employees do it for me.
    Me: I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I am not risking my job over this.
    SC: Your worried about you job over helping a custoemr!!!???
    Me: Strange how i don't want to get fired. Isn't it.
    SC: I'm reporting you. Then you will get fired for not helping me!
    Me: ok.

The SC did complain to my manager, who told her to get lost as they were not going to get in trouble either. All just part of the don't take NO for a answer because i'm special mentality.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      The SC did complain to my manager, who told her to get lost as they were not going to get in trouble either. All just part of the don't take NO for a answer because i'm special mentality.
      Actually, I think it's a "don't take no for an answer because some television pundit or another said to keep calling back until you do get the answer you want" mentality.

Of course, everyone knows: if you see it on TV, it HAS to be real!
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
        I had a SC like this a few days ago. They asked me to do something that was against policy that first time it's done is a automatic write-up, no warning.

Me: I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I am not risking my job over this.
        SC: Your worried about you job over helping a custoemr!!!???
        Me: Strange how i don't want to get fired. Isn't it.
        SC: I'm reporting you. Then you will get fired for not helping me!
        Me: ok.

I love it when people try that approach.

Me: Thank you for telling me this. I now have to write up a report to my management regarding the ones who did. Do you have their names, dates/times it was done and/or reference numbers?
        SC: (hestitates) No..
        Me: Whoever "they" are, "they" are putting their employment in jeopardy. I refuse to do so.
        SC: (Backs down and complies)
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

One of my CW's had this type of customer last week. His issue was he lost his license code for the video editing software he bought.

Said CW told him to call the vendor. SC started screaming at him, "I bought it from you! Don't sell it if you're not going to support it!" CW told him for this issue it would be impossible to help him as he has no record of his license code, SC demands to speak to a sup.

My sup tells him "we are the reseller, not the vendor. For this issue you will need to call them." SC reportedly tells him "now that you sold it we are washing your hands of the product and that's not right" and "Your service sucks" etc etc before hanging up.

Wanker.
          Last edited by sld72382; 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

When i get calls like these, I just tell them that I don't have access to that info for security reasons... I can *technically* get it if I really need to, but only for established clients, and even then, I gotta charge for it as part of a support call. Nobody less than a region rep will even consider giving that info to us.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X