X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish this wasn't real...

Phone rings.
    "Hi, this is Houdini in the Web Team, how can I help?"
    "Panic panic panic I've lost the CMS!!" (Our bespoke Content Management System - a huge part of our lives, and a bundle of complete shite.)
    "O-k...which application manager are you using?"
    "I'm using Shite2! I can't find it!"
    "Uh...ok. It's always on Shite2. That's how the CMS runs. Are you SURE?"
    "Yes!! It's not on there!!"
    "I'll come down and look at your computer."

Go downstairs. Find user. Sit down. Look at computer. Open Shite2. Scroll down.

And there, hidden at the bottom of the screen, where it always is...is the CMS.

She hadn't scrolled down.
    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

oh god, thats just bad,

i mean I've known similar - a colleague couldn't understand why the file she had saved in a folder wasn't there while I coudl find it from my computer, I went over and found out it was because her folder display had changed from showing most recent at the top to alphabetical meaning it was a whole 4 files below the top (but still on the screen)
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I have a professor that's still relatively new to the Windows world, coming from a Mac.

He's the type that uses his desktop as his My Docs. To give him credit, he does use Folder Marker, so he has some kind of system in place.

Well, of course, yesterday, he couldn't find a folder. So I had to show him (and our AA) how to open the desktop in Explorer to search alphabetically. It wasn't there, but at least I showed them both a new trick.
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Big

[QUOTE=technical.angel;803741]He's the type that uses his desktop as his My Docs. To give him credit, he does use [URL="http://www.foldermarker.com/folder-marker-[/QUOTE]

Had a Mac user order a bigger screen so they could save more files on the desktop ... zero knowledge that folders even existed.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          Had a Mac user order a bigger screen so they could save more files on the desktop ... zero knowledge that folders even existed.
          I just... this...

My brain broke from this. It does not happen often, but... gah!
          "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            What! Folders have been in Macs since 1984! This isn't exactly new. And one of the top items on the finder file menu is to make a folder!

Comment

I stack folders inside of folders, I want as clean and uncluttered a desktop as possible - i happen to like the pic of Stonehenge I have, and therefor would prefer to look at it, than a bunch of icons... besides icons can get lost against my background and then i feel like an idiot when i find it after yelling at the computer.
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Folders, on the desktop, nope not ringing any bells. I have not stored anything localy since I worked ouut how to automaticaly mount NFS shares from my NAS box. ;-)
                "My experience has taught me one thing. A shaved cat is much angrier than an unshaved cat."
                Chester Holiday Apartment

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                  I have a professor that's still relatively new to the Windows world, coming from a Mac.

He's the type that uses his desktop as his My Docs. To give him credit, he does use Folder Marker, so he has some kind of system in place.

Well, of course, yesterday, he couldn't find a folder. So I had to show him (and our AA) how to open the desktop in Explorer to search alphabetically. It wasn't there, but at least I showed them both a new trick.
                  S: WHOA, whoa no no! I can't find anything!, Oh man, I, I had everything exactly where I knew where it was. I knew that our website, our website was at the very tip of the penis. And now I don't know where anything is! Like Mike's Cellphones dot com was on the right testicle, I I'm not gonna be able to find anything, look I got a meeting in two minutes and I need the icons back the way they were.

W: Well I can't go back, there's no way to go back, I can't arrange 'em by penis.

(The fun starts at 8:00)

Comment

I think I just found a new lowest common denominator...
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                    X