No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am presently reading A Higher Call by Adam Makos. A fantastic WW2 true-life story.

CNN Article

Prior to that I read Noir: A Novel by Christopher Moore.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      There are currently 6 books in the series as well as a Novella and a 7th book due out this November.
      Don't forget the comic series, which has a handy graphic novel anthology.

Quoth Seanette View Post
      You might like Kevin J. Anderson's "Dan Shamble, Zombie PI" series. In a world where "unnaturals", such as zombies, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, etc., are an accepted fact of life and there's no masquerade in play to hide them, the title character does things like solve his own murder, and can be rather amusing in the process.
      Ooh, that sounds fun. Thankfully it's on Kindle (lately I've been having trouble reading black-on-white text, so most of my reading has been on my phone/tablet where I can set it to sepia).

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
      At the moment I am re-reading Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series, Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series and Anne Bishop's whatever I can find at the second hand shops.
      I used to enjoy the earlier Anita Blake books, but they kind of devolved into badly-written BDSM. I gave up on the series when the blurb on the back of the book had a really interesting plot, but only most of the first chapter and most of the last chapter even mentioned it. The rest of the rather large book was devoted to Anita's relationships and sex scenes. As I pointed out to a friend who also read the series, if I wanted to read badly-written BDSM I could get it for free on the internet.

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      I just reread through the majority of the Dresden Files since there is the new short story anthology coming out soon.

*snip*

For our Urban Fantasy fans, I would recommend checking out RL King's Alastair Stone series.
      Dresden files was good, but I haven't re-read it in years, and I know I don't have the last 3-4 books in the series as it stands. Maybe if the optician can do anything about this black-on-white issue I have I'll be able to have another crack at it.

The Alistair Stone series sounds interesting. I've just downloaded a box set of the first 4 books on Kindle Unlimited. Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do!
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

What I'm currently reading...

"Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions".
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I stumbled across a book series recently when I signed up for Freebooksy.com's deals.

The first in the series (by Jane Steen) is House of Closed Doors. I'm currently on the 2nd book in the series, Eternal Deception.

This trilogy follows the life of a young woman named Nell Lillington, who was born into a prominent family in the late 1800s. In the first book, she became pregnant out of welock and, in defiance of the day's convention, refused to name the father and have her baby on her own. Her stepfather (who was a political wanna-be) sent her away to a poor farm to hide her out of sight.

In this one, she's working as a seamstress in a boy's seminary school in the middle of the Kansas prairie a couple of short years later, with her baby and a friend from the poor farm (who she had taken under her wing) in tow. And things aren't what they seem there, especially after the President of the school dies unexpectedly.

I've been on a kick of reading books on my Kindle app that's on my phone and I've found some really good deals through Amazon. Got the entire North and South trilogy a few months ago for a few dollars.

Next project is to go back and download the 4th and 5th books in John Jakes' Kent Family Chronicles . . . . I plan to have the rest of that series pretty soon (8 books in all IIRC.)
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post

The Alistair Stone series sounds interesting. I've just downloaded a box set of the first 4 books on Kindle Unlimited. Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do!
            I think the first book was a little weak compared with the rest. I don't think she had quite got the full grasp of the universe she wanted yet. The first is very Cthulhu-esque in some respects. That sort of outside type being is pretty absent for most of the rest of the series, but she has some very interesting concepts and even better, she has been putting out a book every 6-9 months like clockwork.

Comment

Not counting way too many stories on FimFiction, I'm currently reading The Eads Bridge which is about the first bridge connecting St Louis to Illinois designed by James Eads.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I'm currently re-re-re-reading Jack Chalker's Well World series. I'm in the middle of the final book, Ghost of the Well of Souls. Not sure what I'm going to read next. Probably the user manual for my cab.
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  I used to enjoy the earlier Anita Blake books, but they kind of devolved into badly-written BDSM. I gave up on the series when the blurb on the back of the book had a really interesting plot, but only most of the first chapter and most of the last chapter even mentioned it. The rest of the rather large book was devoted to Anita's relationships and sex scenes. As I pointed out to a friend who also read the series, if I wanted to read badly-written BDSM I could get it for free on the internet.
                  Which is why I've started at the beginning where she is still kick ass and will probably stop when it gets to be more sex scenes than kicking ass. I do like Edward, so I mostly just re-read the later books that have him in them.

When Anita got to be all whiny about relationships, I wanted to Gibbs' slap them all. It got even worse when Laurell couldn't move the characters past the angsty crap even after 2-3 books. 'We are all going to therapy... whine whine whine.....' 'Why can't person change everything about themselves for me? whine whine whine' Just give get back to solving cases with zombies, vampires, witches and were-animals.

I now actually have sections marked in my books so I can skip the annoying scenes and just read the solving the 'case' scenes.

But all of the above is possibly why I love Ilona Andrews & Patricia Briggs so much. Witches, vampires, weird-ass magic and the relationship stuff is not the main part. It's there, but it's not whine whine whine.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

This...over your shoulder
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      ... my computer screen ... CS ...
                      Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                      There is always one.
                      Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      This...over your shoulder
                      And there's the other one...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulu, the Deadly Dimensions.

There's some chapters with written-out cockney accents harder to understand than a drunken Redwall mole. Thankfully those chapters are short...but unfortunately also rather violent. There's killings aplenty and Holmes refusing to believe there is not a scientific explanation for everything. Lots of mention of this dangerous machine and Dagon. Not so much Cthulu but the garbled R'lyeh speak is all over the place in ritual chapters.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I'm currently reading the third book in the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The first two were Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising. This third one is The Last Command. The first book was very slow, but the pace has picked up some in the second and third. The series is now considered Legends, and it's fun seeing where the story doesn't match up with The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

https://reddit.com/r/HFY

Beware, there's more content posted here *every single day* than most people can possibly absorb. And the number of amazing stories in the archives is phenomenal.

Comment

Seanan McGuire is also a reliable read. I've been reading her Incrypted series (undercover ecologist!), though I haven't gotten all of them. There are some nonhuman relationships involved, but generally not central to the plot, and she doesn't gloss over the "issues" thereof. She has another, elf-based, series that I haven't gotten to yet. And then there's her New Thing -- taking portal fantasy and going meta with it. (Centered around a Home For Young Wanderers...) Both books of that (Every Heart a Doorway, Beneath The Sugar Sky) are flat-out amazing. (Note to self: reclaim those books from my niece. ) She also writes as Mira Grant, and won a Hugo with that trilogy.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                                There are currently 6 books in the series as well as a Novella and a 7th book due out this November.
                                Whoa ... I have really fallen behind!

greek_jester: I had no idea there was a comic series associated with this series.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                                I very much enjoyed 'Kenobi' which is like a Western set on Tatooine while Ben tries to figure out what to do with himself while the Lars' raise Luke. It was a fun read.
                                That was one of the ones I just finished. Very well written, I thought! Right now I'm reading "Jedi Twilight" which occurs very shortly after the massacre of all the Jedis. One who escaped is now making a meagre living as a private investigator in Coruscant's Blackpit slums. It has VERY few of the original trilogy characters in it (Vader is there, as is the Emperor, but that's about it) and I'm having some trouble keeping the characters straight but I suspect that's just me. I'm still really enjoying it.

Quoth mjr View Post
                                What I'm currently reading...

"Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions".
                                Never heard of it. But it does sound quite intriguing. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Quoth Ghel View Post
                                I'm currently reading the third book in the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The first two were Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising. This third one is The Last Command. The first book was very slow, but the pace has picked up some in the second and third. The series is now considered Legends, and it's fun seeing where the story doesn't match up with The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
                                I've seen that trilogy but haven't started on it (yet).

I do like the inconsistencies between the books, though. A few authors took the characters off in one direction, then some others come in and take the characters off in a totally different direction ... pick a plot, any plot.

Also reading "Slave Ship," the second book in The Bounty Hunter Wars. I'm finding it a bit slow, but I'm not that far in, so we'll see how it goes.
                                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X