This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry he dosen't speak English.

I had a patent and his father in my office. The family is normal, both parents are locally employed and they have commercial insurance. They're very American, so I assumed that the child, about the age of 4 spoke English. I have been speaking to the child but he hasn't been answering me so I figured he was shy. When I went to give him a bracelet his father says,"Oh he only speaks German and Japanease." I gave him a puzzled look and continued and he added," Teaching a child different languages increases their I.Q." ...

Well do you think that maybe a 4 year old should know the language of the country he lives in? The kid could be Einstine, but he's not going to do well here unless you teach him English!

Sorry, I just found that competely stupid of my customer.

To quote Bill Watterson:
    "How can a kid know so much and still be so dumb?"
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Sounds like the kid was put in a couple of immersion schools.

I wonder how the parents communicate? Does one speak Japanese, and the other German? If so, how come they haven't taught him English? I'm perplexed.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You see, the pages in the "Raising Genius Children for Dummies" handbook were stuck together, so they missed the part that said, "teach them foreign languages in addition to their native language."

I would say, for a 4 year old to be fluent in German and Japanese only, makes him pretty smart.

They must also be fluent, or how do they communicate at home?
        Just wonder why English wasn't considered 'classy' enough for the child to learn.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'd say all it does is make him bilingual, and that's not a bad thing, but, knowing more than one language isn't indicitive of IQ or intellegence, any more than only knowing your native language is indicitive of a moron.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It's great that at four years old, he knows how to speak those two languages, but when he goes to school & almost everyone around him is speaking English, I would think he's going to have alot of problems.
            "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
            ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

As a former french immersion student, I can attest that learning the language young is much better. Something about the brain not being fully developed makes it easier to learn. But unless they're planning to move w/ their child to Germany or Japan he's gonna have problems. Even in immersion school, us kids spoke a LARGE amount of english (at lunch, recess, music, art, gym, in line, pretty much when ever we could get away with it ) If this kid can't speak english he will have to hope of socialization even in an immersion school.

Comment

I"m curious to know what languages the parents speak at home. The kid should be picking up english from them and other sources, like the tv and interactions with baby-sitters and other random people during the day...

I bet he does at least understand it.

Comment

Oh, joy.more people trying to make their kids prodigies. Why isn't Spanish being taught w/ the growing Hispanic population, Spanish seems like a solid choice for everyday life, along with English of course. I guess Spanish isn't very classy either. Also, maybe the father was joking, and the kid's tremendously shy. I dunno.

Comment

Quoth 0oAmericanGirl View Post

Sorry, I just found that competely stupid of my customer.

Let me get this straight......an American dad (lol) has a 4 yr old son who only speaks Japanese and German...and is American? LOL.....wtf?: eek:
                    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      I'd say all it does is make him bilingual, and that's not a bad thing, but, knowing more than one language isn't indicitive of IQ or intellegence, any more than only knowing your native language is indicitive of a moron.
                      I think the concept was more along the lines that teaching a young child another language stimulates the learning centres in the brain, helping intelligence to grow and form. By the time you're an adult, you can learn another language, and you'll be bilingual, but you won't change your intelligence.

Not saying that's possible, just that that's how I interpreted it, not "speaking two languages means you're smarter".

Comment

This is actually very common with Chinese immigrant parents that I know (I'm a Chinese-Canadian) as they have just arrived to Canada with a very young child and throw them right into French immersion before they even know English.

Their logic is that English is already all around them so the child will eventually learn it anyways but other languages require more intensive learning... I'm not commenting on the whether it even makes sense or not but I can understand the chain of thinking..

Comment

Working...
                        X