This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ain't got no money!!

The past 2 weeks are the the roughest busiest time of the year for people in the health care industry. People are trying to have procedures done and tests before their insurance rolls over and they're again left with their deductable to meet. So, to let you know, I've been working way more hours than I'm accustomed to and I'm very tired.

I had a patient in for a cardiac procedure the other day.... I called her name and in walks this huge woman with bleached blonde har and exposed dark roots. She was dressed in sweat pants and a t-shirt and stunk of cigaretts. She sat at my desk and I noticed that not only did she have a ring on every finger, that she had 2 rings pushed together and then rings on the middle sections of her fingers as well. She was grumpy and I could barely understand her mix of country/ghetto slang when she talked. I'll say this, I knew that she was going to do somthing to remember for a while.

I verified her information... that's a whole different story , and then I went over the amount due for her surgery which was a petty $3.00 co-pay for her medicaid. Keep in mind that we don't force anyone to pay, we even tell them that before we explain the cost. After I told her about her survey, she took the pack of cigaretts she had been palming and slammed them on the desk yelling, "I ain't got no money!, don't ya'll know that!! I'm on damn medicaid because I'm poor!" I know that every person in that office including patents just heard her because the whole place was dead silent.. I could hear my bosses pop up from their chairs somewhere behind me. Before I knew what I was saying, the phrase " At least it's cheaper than a pack of cigaretts and you can pay for this later if you wish"...oops... But I can assure you it was in the friendliest tone.

She started yelling again about how she needed the cigaretts to live and how it would be killing her for the hospital to force her to do without them (I kind of think it's a bit backward here). At that time the big boss comes in, 2 of the 3 area team leaders come in, and a few co-workers are hiding just around the corner. They tried to calm her down and when she saw the opportunity, she tried to get them to "cover the bill" (you know, like how you might be at a resturant and your steak is bleeding when you asked for well done and you get it for free because of the mistake). God bless the big boss because he was calm, even if she being a complete idiot. Eventually they got her out of the office only after asking her if she needed to make a payment plan and they could set that up for her and they gave her the card for the department that gives assistance to the people who can't pay their bills.

I never got in trouble and nobody ever talked to me about it

Oh man. Wow. I really don't know what to say...well, kudos to you for pointing out the cigarette thing - she can't pay $3.00 - THREE DOLLAR copay but she can pay $5.00 for cigarettes because she NEEDS them? Well, hopefully she'll be dead soon and you won't have to deal with her sorry ass anymore.

I know, harsh, but c'mon - she's bitching that she can't afford her co-pay because she's poor and on medicaid - yet she can afford cigarettes and rings to fill every one of her fingers - twice - yeah, the human race can do with out leeches like this!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I wish I had a $3 copay. That would rock.

I'm surprised that she didn't go out to the other customers and take up a collection.

If she did take the payment plan option, I wonder how that would work out. "Let's see, how about .25 a week for 12 weeks. We don't accept cash. Checks, credit cards and money orders only."
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Wow...as a former smoker, I can tell you that while cigarettes were something of a priority (I'm glad I quit smoking, believe me), they weren't more important than a doctor's co-pay. Talk about a cheap bitty with messed-up priorities.
        Last edited by Phone Jockey; 12-30-2006, 05:20 PM. Reason: I misspelled the word "or" heh heh
        The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

WTF? I should stop working and go on medicaid... (kidding!) I can't afford health care and this lousy lump of flesh calling itself a human has a co-pay of $3 for surgery? But she can't pay THAT?! That's completely F-ed up. I weep for the species
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

My favorite medicaid people are the ones that drive up in an uber nice, late model mercedes or BMW, blabbing on their Razr phone, and toss their CareOregon card at me.

I also like the people that whine when they don't cover a whole lot of cosmetic stuff, or brand name medication. Sorry bub, you get what you pay for.

However, there is one poor guy right now that's fighting with them to cover fentanyl patches and a muscle relaxer, and it's been going on 2 weeks and they still haven't capitulated. THAT guy I have sympathy for.

Comment

I know, harsh, but c'mon - she's bitching that she can't afford her co-pay because she's poor and on medicaid - yet she can afford cigarettes and rings to fill every one of her fingers - twice - yeah, the human race can do with out leeches like this!
              Ditto on the cigarettes. I'd rather spend my money on things that will not eventually kill me. I never got the attraction of smoking anyhow.

As for the rings, well, pumping quarters into the vending machine at the supermarket does get expensive after a while.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post

I also like the people that whine when they don't cover a whole lot of cosmetic stuff, or brand name medication. Sorry bub, you get what you pay for..

My insurance dosen't cover name-brand drugs at ALL. So I either get generic (dosen't matter anyway) or I have to do without.. mind you I pay $75 a month for the damn inusrance.

Some people need to be a bit more thankful for the help that they recieve.

Comment

Wow . . . I've got a $15 co-pay and I thought that was cheap . . .

It makes me wonder if the SC drove herself down to your office even . . . I hope she felt like an ass, requesting a payment plan on $3 . . .
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

not likely; she sounds much like the welfarees who demand 'what's owed them.'

here's what's owed you....*boot in the ass aiding their quick propulsion out the door* NOW GET A DAMNED JOB!
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Cigs are only 5 dollars down there?? Even the cheapest ones are at least 9 up here, 11 if you want the good ones (I used to sell them at the corner store)

Comment

Quoth 0oAmericanGirl View Post
                        My insurance dosen't cover name-brand drugs at ALL. So I either get generic (dosen't matter anyway) or I have to do without.. mind you I pay $75 a month for the damn inusrance.

Some people need to be a bit more thankful for the help that they recieve.
                        Dang. I pay $74 a PAYCHECK (twice a month) out of my meager salary - but at least 'scripts are only $15 no matter the type in most cases.

Comment

I have a wonderfull idea.

There should be a job called a "Jerk Job" It would be unpaid, but the time spent could be tax deductible. You would then get to go and sit near where SC's have to talk to employees. The "Jerker" would then be able to tell the SC to STFU and not be a pain in the butt. Generaly, the "jerker" would say what needs to be said to a SC. Since they don't work for the company the SC can't accuse the company of anything. Heck, I would spend some of my off time manning such a position.
                          "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                            Dang. I pay $74 a PAYCHECK (twice a month) out of my meager salary - but at least 'scripts are only $15 no matter the type in most cases.
                            That sounds about right. I pay about that twice a month and it's only me!
                            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

damn...my insurance is only 56 a check and i have 10 copays...plus cigarettes are at most 3.50

Comment

Working...
                              X