Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth morgana View Post
    "Bimbos of the Death Sun", Sharon McCrumb
    Hahaha, I remember that one. Mom picked it up somewhere, amused by the title, and how non-indicative of the plot it actually is. I've read it several times, and still find it quite amusing how it dips into con culture.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Speaking of books, every Valentine's Day I tweet Tad Williams to tell him how much I hate him for killing off my favorite character in -series redacted for spoilers. This is the third year now. I like to think it isn't Valentine's Day for Tad Williams until I I form him how much cheaper I still hate him for that.

Shouldn't have killed her off, Williams.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• A biography of Teddy Roosevelt.He's my favourite president l think-he was one of the elite New York families(one of the few that Lady Astor would allow to attend her balls-and she wouldn't even invite the Vanderbilts...) and yet he'd been out working rodeos and ranches with the working folk.For a President he was reassuringly human-after his wife and mother died on the same day all he could put in his diary was a black X and the phrase 'All the light has gone out of my life.'He was a military fighter with the Rough Riders but still had a guinea pig called Fighting Bob Evans' �� He stopped the Russians and Japanese from waging war but he loved his nephews and nieces and still on occasions had to be called down from their treehouse where he was playing with them because a minister had turned up for a meeting. And despite being a great militarian,there were still some problems he couldn't tackle..as he said about his daughter'l can be President of the US or l can control Alice.l can't do both' ��
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• I finished the Phryne Fisher books. All were excellent.

I am now half-way through The City & The City by China Miéville. It is murder mystery with a very unusual twist.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Son: We finished reading Stone Fox in school.

Me: So who cried?

Son: Well, me for one.

Me: Me for two, baby.

What's the saddest book you ever read?

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              Charlotte's Web, hands down. I sobbed.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, easily. Damn, now I want to put down the book I'm currently reading to read it again.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• It was a short story titled "The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin. No matter how often I read it, I still end up in tears.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I finished The City & The City and am now read a collection of short stories, The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

I also found out that the BBC made a miniseries based on The City & The City. Unfortunately it's not available on DVD yet.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Mishima's Sword, where the author tries to discover what happened to the katana Yukii Mishima used to commit seppuku in 1970. And Color Mage by my friend Anne Marie Lutz, which I am enjoying an awful lot.

Comment

• Just finished re-reading Moon's Deed of Paksennarion, and now on to Moon Flights, a collection of her short stories.
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• I'm re reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• Some really annoying shit on Facebook.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant ...

I'm rereading In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith. It's a mystery series set in Botswana and the main character is Mma Precious Ramotswe, who owns and runs the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which is also the name of the book series (19 books as of 2018). I think I've got half a dozen of the books so far.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• If you like Jane Austen-style period writing and magic, there's "Sorcery and Cecelia: Or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot" by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. The first book started more or less as a game between the two of them (the letter game) and eventually got turned into a book.

"Since they were children, cousins Kate and Cecelia have been inseparable. But in 1817, as they approach adulthood, their families force them to spend a summer apart. As Cecelia fights boredom in her small country town, Kate visits London to mingle with the brightest lights of English society.

"At the initiation of a powerful magician into the Royal College of Wizards, Kate finds herself alone with a mysterious witch who offers her a sip from a chocolate pot. When Kate refuses the drink, the chocolate burns through her dress and the witch disappears. It seems that strange forces are convening to destroy a beloved wizard, and only Kate and Cecelia can stop the plot. But for two girls who have to contend with the pressures of choosing dresses and beaux for their debuts, deadly magic is only one of their concerns."

I liked the original book the best; the sequels were still good (and did tie up some plot lines) but I didn't feel as emotionally connected to them as I did to the first. I still re-read them every so often, though.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• 1637: The Polish Maelstrom - Eric Flint
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X