Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update to my house post (couldn't figure out how to change title)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to my house post (couldn't figure out how to change title)

ORIGINAL: So my wife and I moved to North Carolina two years and 3 months ago. We couldn't sell our house in Virginia but we were fortunate enough to rent it out. We had a family sign a 2 years lease and all went well. We had it rented out through the agent who sold it to us in 2011. Aside from the once in a while problem everything was fine. They then signed an additional 2 year extension but then less than a month later we found out they were going to back out because they found mold in the house and it was making their daughter sick. We found out they discovered the mold six months beforehand and never said anything until late July of this year. Mainly the mold is next to the fireplace (due to a presumably leaky chimney) and in the basement.

The family ended up having to purchase another house that was newer and free from mold. They looked feverishly to find another place but couldn't find another place that was mold-free so they ended up having to purchase another. My father and I intend to go up to the house to clean it once they vacate, but the soon-to-be ex tenant is really laying it on thick about how most of their stuff will have to be pitched, etc. I think he is trying to suggest that he wants compensation for his stuff, etc.

The thing is, my wife and I lived in that house for five years and we never had any problem with mold. I'm kind of worried we could get sued for this. I'm also worried that we may never be able to sell the place. My realtor (who handled the lease for the house) suggested the tenant is exaggerating and the mold isn't that bad, and is telling me I need to hire an expert to test for mold and that it can be cleaned myself (i've done it before at my parents' house). But I guess with my Anxiety, ADHD and Asperger's, i'm worrying too much about the future. Has anybody had a problem with mold? It sucks having a house 4 hours away that we are trying to sell. We're open to renting it out again but fear that mold could come back. Part of me wishes if I can't sell it to just let it foreclose and save the difference and buy a house when i'm ready. I'm just at a loss of what to do and this is really eating me up inside. I am having trouble functioning over this. I get sick to my stomach. I know I can't do anything about it here but it just eats at me. Please, if anyone can have any suggestions, I'm open to them. Thank you in advance.

Update: After going back and forth with the tenant, the realtor and I agreed to have a mold inspector come into the house who is apparently very good. That happened two weeks ago and to my surprise, the mold inspector came back and said he could find no signs of mold. That admittedly made me feel better, as well as the realtor, because we were talking short sale for the house. We didn't have the air test done because the tenant was still there and the mold inspector says he wanted to do it in an empty house. Inspector called me telling me I shouldn't worry about mold coming up in the air test (he's experienced with 30 years of doing this and certified). Inspector did say the tenant was just in disbelief and was convinced that the problem is mold, despite him saying otherwise. Mold inspector kept reiterating that the leak next to the fireplace was not mold, that the basement was bone dry,

My theory on this is that the soon to be former tenant is just up in arms. He's told me how he's basically starting over at 53, and how he's had to pitch everything and medical bills, and recently he's mentioned the deaths of two relatively young animals.
    Former tenant is closing on a new house this week and told me "from what i've read, my family and I should be better in the new environment". Tenant still claims all of their problems were caused by mold and isn't budging on that. He's told me doctors are blaming mold on his daughter's health issues and that he and his mother were starting to get sick (but his wife has been fine). He's been reiterating that. Truly, I feel bad for him, but i'm beginning to wonder how delusional he is, or that he is truly sick and my inspector was wrong. That's been my worry.

Inspector did give me a short list of things needing fixed, such as the ductwork needing cleaning, and that the gutters need cleaned, and that the roof plumbing vents are old and need replaced. Other than that the inspector said the house is in great shape. Still awaiting an air test but the mold inspector has said he believes it should come back perfectly fine. Inspector did say a lot how the tenant and his mother were just upset and up in arms over the fact he couldn't find mold. Part of my other worry is the air test coming back for mold. Inspector also suggested it could be in the car, or at the school, but it's not in the house and the inspector held firm with that.

After the inspection found no mold, Realtor says now it should sell with no issues (although we can borrow up to $20k to pay the difference if we really had to). Prior to this, the realtor and I were discussing the potential for a short sale. The problem with short selling is the fact that it's a USDA loan and I would've been on the hook for the difference in some way either way. Next weekend, Father and I are going up to fix the house and make it sale ready (have the ducts cleaned, the roof and gutters fixed, and also fix the attic stairs (spring broke or something).

So with all of this, i'm still nervous for many reasons. Such as the fact that we're paying for an empty house and worried that we may exhaust our savings. Part of me is worried the tenant may come after me. Another part of me is the tenant may go around telling people to avoid the place. Another worry is that the air test could come back positive for mold. If all of you could please give me some guidance and insight, i'd royally appreciate. This is the best place I could find to discuss my issues, aside from my therapist. Thank you all in advance!

I'm wondering if some of the tenant's possessions were moldy, and they want to blame it on you. If so, beware, that air test might turn out positive until the house is cleaned out.

Comment

That's another idea I suggested to the inspector. He's gonna do the test when everything of theirs is out.

Comment

Still waiting on the air test as the tenants took their sweet ass time leaving. It'll happen this week. Pray it turns out good.

Comment

Quoth Quitbuggingmeandgoaway View Post
          Part of me is worried the tenant may come after me. Another part of me is the tenant may go around telling people to avoid the place.
          If either of those things happen then you can sue for defamation of character as you have proof from a professional that the mould is nothing to do with you.

If they truly are sick from mould they can't touch you legally as you have proof that it is not you to blame. If you are feeling generous you could suggest that they get places of work, the daughter's school and their own car checked out, but that is as far as you have to go as you have gone above and beyond.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            If either of those things happen then you can sue for defamation of character as you have proof from a professional that the mould is nothing to do with you.

If they truly are sick from mould they can't touch you legally as you have proof that it is not you to blame. If you are feeling generous you could suggest that they get places of work, the daughter's school and their own car checked out, but that is as far as you have to go as you have gone above and beyond.
            Thank you. Spoke with the realtor. The tenants have disposed all of their mattresses and furniture, and sold other furniture (desks, dressers, etc). Mold inspector wants to wait until the mattresses are disposed of (they're behind the house) so as to not contaminate the test. The mold inspector found they had vents closed up and blocked, which prevented air from moving around properly. I'm really thinking the tenants had mold in their mattresses, and this was making them sick. With no ventilation in the house, I think it got worse. The mold inspector found no telltale signs of mold. The ceilings were immaculate, with no problems whatsoever. The tenants did get a dehumidifier for the house, and I will keep one running when we check it this weekend.

Honestly, this (added to my changes in meds by an incompetent doctor back in August and a change-back to my old meds that worked much better by a better doctor didn't help the situation. I'm back and forth with my new doc, probably annoying her, but that's why I have her as a doc.

I'm going up this weekend to clean the place. Tenant told me he wouldn't trash me or the house, and given his financial situation I probably couldn't get anything out of him if I sued, and the fact it's 4 hours away. This whole ordeal I just wish would end. I pray to god we can sell the place off sooner than later, and hell, i'm willing to take a hit up to $20,000 if I had to. I just want this done. Thank you again for the replies. Anything else is welcome!
            Last edited by Quitbuggingmeandgoaway; 11-05-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Update!

Update: So my dad and I went up to clean the place and get it sale-ready. We had the mold inspector do the air test with the house empty and are awaiting on the results. He claims the "supposed" mold by the tenants was just moisture leakage (in two places, 1) under a bedroom window and 2) next to the fireplace). Dad and I even drilled a hole and stuck a camera in and found no evidence of mold in the insulation. We checked the attic - found no mold in the insulation either. Tenants left the house immaculate otherwise. Mold inspector believes that no signs of mold should come up on the air test, and I am leaning towards trusting him because he's been doing this work for years. Mold inspector reiterated that air wasn't flowing around properly since they didn't run the HVAC very much either. I'm worried that if the air test comes back with mold, I can almost believe that the tenant caused this due to lack of ventilation in the house.

The ex-tenant came by while dad and I were working to pick up his boat. He was friendly and all. Told me how "a lot of homes in this county are this way" and how when he checked out other places to rent, his daughter got sick rather quickly after walking into a lot of them. Told me he thought his daughter was being a hypochondriac at first, but she continued to get sick and began to pass out. Then he and his mother were starting to get sick too, not as bad as his daughter though. I don't know - I'm thinking that other allergens are making the daughter sick but the tenant said to me that he doesn't care what the inspector says - that there IS mold in my house.

Just pray for me that the air test turns up with no mold. That will make me sleep a LOT easier at night.

Comment

If he's seeing it in "a lot of homes in this county", my bet is some other allergen or a more complex issue.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                  If he's seeing it in "a lot of homes in this county", my bet is some other allergen or a more complex issue.
                  Most likely air borne allergens from outside. Mold is popular this time of the year with all the decaying leaves.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Quitbuggingmeandgoaway View Post
                    how when he checked out other places to rent, his daughter got sick rather quickly after walking into a lot of them. Told me he thought his daughter was being a hypochondriac at first, but she continued to get sick and began to pass out. Then he and his mother were starting to get sick too
                    So his daughter, mother and himself get "sick rather quickly" after just walking through "a lot" of houses? That's... Either made up or very serious. And if it's happening with so many houses all around the country (??) then they need to look at themselves to figure out the problem, they are the constant. That last statement, that he doesn't care what the inspector says, kinda makes me not believe anything he says anyway.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Just going to throw this out there. His daughter may not be reacting to mould at all. If all the houses they walked through are really new, she could be reacting to anything from the paint to the carpet glue/underlay to construction glues/sealants to the commercial cleaning products that were used to get a house ready for the next tenants.

The things she is reacting to might never have been in your house. They might have been at her school, with the reaction building slowly during the day. It can look like it hits her as she walks into the house, but it was actually a slow build up during the hours prior.

I react to some really odd things. I had to stay at my aunty's house when we painted my bedroom during our extension as a kid. And again when they installed the new wardrobe. When we were touring display homes, before deciding extending would be better, I could only walk through 3 in a day without being hit with a serious headache and wanting to throw up. And don't even get me started on 'new car smell'.

It might even be family allergy that is just coming out now. Both parents and I are allergic to jasmine, lilies and lavender. They may be reacting to a tree or plant that is popular in that area/town that is fairly local.

A family friend never had allergies, until she moved to Norfolk Island for husband's work. All was good until the native pines went into their mating frenzy. Her allergy is so bad that she travels back to Oz mainland and goes visiting during that time every year.
                      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Thank you all. Still waiting on the results from the air test. Pray.

Comment

So praise be! We got an offer on the house, and accepted it! Provided the inspection goes well, we walk away and this whole house ordeal will be over!

Comment

Crossing the finger, toes, etc... I hope that means a profit, or at least a break even.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

By my calculations, we should have a profit....of $300 when it is all said and done. I was honestly expecting a loss of $10,000 on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X