This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Discord?

I haven't yet seen any replacements for the old chat, and I've been having some luck with Discord. I'm willing to open/run a server with the same rules as the site, if that would be acceptable? I miss actively chatting with everyone.

Oh, I never could chat before because I was on my phone. I'd love to chat with not horrible people. (Chat in other places is unsavory to say the least.)
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We'll run it by da boss ^_^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord ā€“ Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If support is needed for this to happen, count me in. I miss the old IRC channel.

Comment

Any word? Still willing.

Comment

The general consensus is basically, go for it -- We killed off the old chat because, well, nobody used it *at all* for an incredibly long amount of time. As in, possibly before I became active as a member o_O

Go ahead and set it up, er, wherever you need to host it and post the link in here. Once you have it going and have mods set up, make a thread in Off Topic about it.

Also, see if you can get folks to help mod in-channel when possible. Just assume that the same basic rules apply in there as on the CS boards. I'll ask CS moderators to send you their handles (those of us who use Discord, as I do) so you can make us mods there. We'll pop in when we can, but please understand, however, that our first priority will still be the actual boards themselves.

TL;DR -- If you and others are willing to keep it active, feel free ^__^
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord ā€“ Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Awesome! Iā€™d be willing to help with any setup or whatnot. I use discord almost daily. Please shoot me an invite when it gets set up!

Comment

Setting it up today. I'm going to base the rules partly on here, and party on the PaleoTumblr discord. IOW, an introductions channel, where people can intro themselves before they start chatting. We can start with a general channel, and make others as needed, like say a #scream channel for people who need to vent and such.

I had already planned to make all the mods here admins there, mostly as a courtesy, but otherwise let it mostly self-police. I have the experience to step in when necessary, but with our community, it should hopefully NOT be necessary. I am an IRC @ChOP, with almost 20 years experience, and I run another private Discord. The chat's in good hands, I promise. I doubt we'll need any CS forum mods to have to worry about the chat as well, though of course we'd love to have all of you. If need be, I have a couple people in mind whom I trust to sub-mod, if they're willing. (Kaaaaarrrraaaa)

I think the main things that killed the old chat were a rule against lurkers, and difficulty of setup. With Discord, both of those are alleviated. I welcome anyone to join, and have fun! I'll edit this post with the link soon!

PS - May I use the logo for the chat icon, please?

PPS - Initial setup completed, one must have been a member of Discord for more than 5 minutes. Once you've introduced yourself, I can assign a custom role if you'd like one, and allow you into general. Link: https://discord.gg/qkxGZcn
                Last edited by Dragon_Dreamer; 10-10-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X