This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um ... hello?

Today (Sunday) was my very first day at my new job with actual customers. When we have no customers, we must go and stand in front of our register so as to lasso advise customers looking to check out that we are open. So I'm standing there and a woman walks up and says "PIXELATED! How are you doing??" *hug hug* "Your first day! How's it going?"

And I'm smiling and chatting and thinking "I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA WHO YOU ARE."

I can't tell you how often this happens with I see people "out of context"

When I was still working at the Now Defunct Tea Store, I had somebody come in and, while we were talking, say to me, "Guess who took her drugs with me last night!"

You sure you want to be discussing this in public?!

Shortly thereafter I realized I was speaking with one of the staff at my mother's nursing home and she had actually managed to get Mom to take her meds (a rare occurrence indeed) ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I get this in two ways:

1) People out and about in the neighbourhood recognise me, but don't know where from - they're customers at the petrol station I work overnights at, but I'm in uniform there and in mufti otherwise. It's the combo of familiar face/unfamiliar clothing or location that confuses people.

2) People (usually little old ladies) recognising me and chatting away about 'how's the family etc' when I have no clue who they are. I can usually piece together at some point that they know either Mum or Grandma through a local branch of a national organisation, or Dad because he gives talks to local branches of said organisation.
    Of course, there was the time this year, when I stepped out of the eye exam room at my opticians, and a lady in the waiting room said "Sorry to interrupt, but you're [Dad]'s daughter, aren't you? I'm [Name], [Distant Relation's wife], tell your dad we said hi." I told Dad, he had no idea who they were either!!

Comment

Quoth Terza View Post
      *snip*
      Of course, there was the time this year, when I stepped out of the eye exam room at my opticians, and a lady in the waiting room said "Sorry to interrupt, but you're [Dad]'s daughter, aren't you? I'm [Name], [Distant Relation's wife], tell your dad we said hi." I told Dad, he had no idea who they were either!!
      Now that is HILARIOUS. Although at least she was kind enough to introduce herself!
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        Now that is HILARIOUS. Although at least she was kind enough to introduce herself!
        It is hilarious, because while Youngest Sis and I are most definitely Dad's daughters (attitude and colouring despite my dyed hair), we're actually in our physical shape more like Mum's Dad! Even more amusing, people who know Dad almost always recognise my DD as his Grand-daughter, despite never having met me or her before!
        Mind you, there's no way I can claim that DD isn't mine, either, since she is definitely her mother's daughter as I am my father's!!

Comment

I get that a fair bit -- I'm partly face-blind, so its really hard for me to recognize most people out of context.

Comment

While I was still working I was once walking past a restaurant with outside seating, on a street not far from my home. A lady seated there called out to me by name and said hi, how are you? I replied as though I knew her, but I had no idea who she was! Had to be someone from work, but I still have no idea who it was
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X