This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna give us a bad review

Got a call from a guest who was upset because her bedding was stained. Asked her if she wanted fresh linen or to move - walked down with fresh sheets and a key to the room next door just in case.

Apologized for the fact that housekeeping put sheets on the bed that were obviously stained. (looked pink like dried blood) Since she had booked the room through priceline we were unable to offer her a discount. I very politely told her that our hands were tied but if she called priceline and explained the situation she would most likely receive a discount through them. Told her at least three times our hands were tied. She even asked for a free night voucher - and I told her we were franchised and unable to give her discounts at other hotels in the brand.

She then dropped this bomb - I don't want to go online and give you a bad review but I will. I told her that it was her right to complain but in all reality all she had to do is call the number she booked the room with and it would be handled.

Does anyone ever care about those bad reviews other than corporate? I can understand that a place having a low overall rating would be bad but if in general you get good reviews, why do people think that writing one bad one will suddenly tank the business?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I care about bad reviews.

They are so much fun to read!
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I don't remember which TV show this was on (old age - go figure), but in one episode people were going to restaurants and telling their server "I'm with Yelp," and were treated as preferentially as if they were a newspaper's food critic. But then, the whole town was doing that.

I think it was animated.
        Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Reviews

I read the reviews, and a number of bad reviews have turned me off cruises and resorts in the past.

However, some people writing bad reviews are on a revenge plot, and what they write is so ridiculous that you know from reading it that they are not being honest.

Likewise, some reviews are too good to believe. Does not happen very often but you can see the fakeness if you read a couple of review sites.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            Likewise, some reviews are too good to believe.
            I know of a certain Android app. It had six, 5 Star reviews. Comments were vague. Things like: "Great app" and "I really like it".

I recognized the names on the reviews.

It was the development team.

The rest of the reviews were 1 & 2 stars.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'll read reviews of something I'm not familiar with. I usually throw out the 5 star ones because they do seem phony. I'll pay a bit more attention to the lower rated ones if they're a bit more specific and complain about the same thing over and over.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

SailorMan -- You may be thinking of South Park. If so: the ep is called "You're Not Yelping." It's from Season 19, ep 4. (link is to a work-safe preview). The restaurants do certainly give them...special...treatment after a while (note: do not watch the actual episode while eating).

Trixie -- I try to ignore both 5 star (or whatever the max is on the site where I'm looking) AND 1-star reviews. Both are often fake. Heck, I've even seen reviews that gushed about how great the food was and left 1 star because they admittedly just didn't want them to have a perfect rating. I even saw a low "review" on a video game site wherein the author admitted to never having played the game at all right up front. Even after reporting it, the review stayed up there.
                Last edited by EricKei; 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A woman near me rents out part of her property as an Air BNB. She received a bad review. and asked her Facebook friends to write good ones. I don't know if Air BNB monitors that stuff to see if the reviews actually result from bookings.

Likewise, I've looked at reviews on Amazon, and have sometimes seen some that gave great reviews...for an entirely different product than the one listed.

Sometimes it's pretty obvious someone's out for revenge or has an entirely outlandish complaint.
                  Last edited by workerbee222; 01-27-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I was looking for a certain product on the site that shares a name with a river. There were dozens of versions of the same thing, essentially. And none got very good ratings, like AT ALL. Each on had maybe 100 reviews, each averaging 2-3 stars. Basically, this product wasn't working well, don't ask me why I was shopping for it. Maybe it was for bunion relief. I came across one listing with about 30 reviews and every single one was 5 stars. Yeah, not believing that. For fun, I read some of the reviews. "This product works great!" "Wow, this relieved my bunion pain!" "My pain is completely gone!"

I guess some people will fall for this...
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Yeah, I'm much happier about a product when I see a healthy sampling of lower reviews, but spikes in 5s or 1s are often suspect especially if they all come in around the same time.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                        Likewise, I've looked at reviews on Amazon, and have sometimes seen some that gave great reviews...for an entirely different product than the one listed.
                        I'm not a seller, so I can only guess why they do this, but sometimes you'll find sellers who cram 5 or 10 different items on one listing and then use the buttons that'd you'd normally use for colours\patterns to switch between them.
                        It does make for some interesting reviews, while you're looking down for reviews of the USB battery bank and trying to sift out the novelty corkscrews and all-in-one avacado devices...
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Gotta say, I wish I'd read the online reviews for the hotel my two sisters stayed in several years ago in Myrtle Beach. The place was a dump, and I later learned that a huge majority of the reviews said exactly that - and gave details.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                            I'm not a seller, so I can only guess why they do this, but sometimes you'll find sellers who cram 5 or 10 different items on one listing and then use the buttons that'd you'd normally use for colours\patterns to switch between them.
                            I think there's at least a couple possible dodgy explanations, but I can never think of a genuine one:

Firstly, you list "samples" or "adaptors" alongside more expensive products and viola, the price range for your product becomes more inviting and more likely to appear early in searches sorted by price. I hate this, happens way too often on eBay (despite being against the ToS) and is starting to happen more on Amazon although they do seem better at catching whether it's actually a different variant or an entirely separate product.

Secondly is boosting the perceived popularity/rating of an item; say you've been selling left-handed avocado squeezers for years to great acclaim, but now you're pivoting the business into fidget spinners. By changing the product in the listing, you keep all the goodwill and high ratings you earned and imply that the new product is just as good... As has been said, we can see through such tricks eventually but it's annoying and time-consuming, and if you're searching sorted by rating then you're gonna get another false positive. Very common on Amazon, not really applicable to eBay thank goodness.

Comment

We often go to a hotel chain that sounds like Holiday Place. They always have fixed any problems we have had. We reserve our rooms through their own customer rewards program and enjoy talking with their staff when we arrive.

Comment

Working...
                              X