Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly a bit of both. My radio station is a Rock station, so it doesn't come near Pop songs; and that's what most of the CD is based off of. I've heard snippets of enough pop songs to recognize most of them, but for the most part I'm just enjoying them as songs by themselves; and they're growing fast on me.

I'm really hoping that there's a video for "Inactive" and that it will have puppets in it like "Radioactive"

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
      I didn't really get the humor in today's video ("Handy", supposebly a parody of "Fancy"), but perhaps it's because the original song is mostly played in the US? (Either that, or I'm just an old fart)
      I've only watched part of it since playback was screwing up. That said, i'm no fan of fancy, only having heard of it thanks to Jimmy Fallon ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/07/fallon-fancy-crosby-stills-nash-young_n_5565838.html ) ) i went and looked, but definitely not my thing.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
        Word Crimes is even better than Tacky.
        My son absolutely LOVES the Word Crimes video. He watches it over and over and over again. I think he almost has it memorized.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My favorite so far is definitely Foil.

Comment

Sports Song

New song here. Sports Song
            What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

New version of Tacky, performed on Conan Possibly as good as the actual video.

Great watch, and great job Al did doing the song that way.

Comment

Have you seen the Polka yet... that's pretty good going..some of his versions of the songs are better than originals!
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                  New song here. Sports Song
                  Ok, i think this is now my favorite, a generic fight song, brilliant.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

First World Problems

In the style of The Pixies
                    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                      In the style of The Pixies
                      Pretty sure Amanda Palmer is singing backup vocals. She provided vocals for some of the album, and that sounds like her.

Comment

Al made it to the top of the Billboard charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iH_FO1_Ofk

Comment

Weird Al is pretty high up among singers in terms of length of his career (Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, and Loretta Lynn have been singing for longer, but not many others). Also, the reaction of other singers to his parodies has changed. In the beginning, singers were ticked off to be parodied (and in some cases tried to have the parody blocked), but now when he makes a parody it's seen as a sign that the original song is a hit - after all, what's the point of making a parody of a song nobody's heard about?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

True. One thing which I found out recently, due to the press these vids have been generating, is that Coolio -- who originally opposed the 'Amish Paradise' parody (but nobody told Al that until it was too late, it seems) -- has supposedly said that he regrets doing so. A number of artists (notably, Kurt Cobain) have said that they know they've made it when Weird Al does a parody of one of their works.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              is that Coolio -- who originally opposed the 'Amish Paradise' parody (but nobody told Al that until it was too late, it seems) --
                              Al actually did request permission to do the parody (despite not having to) and the studio handling Coolio's works did give permission but never consulted him about it. Coolio did not find out about it until the song aired and was less than pleased.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

And that's why subsequently Al goes to the studio AND the artist to request permission to paradize their works.

Apparently due to a breakdown in communication between Lady Gaga and Al, he almost didn't get permission for Born This Way until the 11th hour, and he held up Alpocalypse's release until he did get it.

And of course there was the "You're Pitiful" parody that didn't make it on "Straight Out of Lynwood" due to the record label. James Blunt had no problem with the parody, so Al decided to release it direct on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                                X