This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I scare the utter crap out of my RM

So my RM makes regular visits to my centre as well as to several other centres she manages. She's a brilliant manager and I love her because she actually gets more involved.

Anyway, the last few visits have consisted of her asking me about certain aspects of the framework that we use for planning or similar. The last visit went something like this:

RM: So what can you tell me about <curriculum framework>?
    ME: <Curriculum framework> is what OSHC programs use to plan their programs and choose age-appropriate activities. It consists of <outcomes> which we do not formally assess the children on, but rather the activity itself. The outcomes are <listing off the outcomes in order and correctly>. The <curriculum framework> is a larger part of the Early Years Learning Framework, but is mainly used for school age kids up to <age> in environments like this, while daycare centres use <similar framework> which is centred around <themes> and more formally assesses the particular outcomes in preparation for the child attending school.
    RM: That's....scary.

Turns out that I was right, except that because of the age group of my centre (5-8 year olds), we use a combination of the daycare outcomes and the school-age ones, but we don't formally assess them. I should add that this was all entirely off the top of my head. (To clarify, the Early Years framework covers up to 8yo kids, most primary schools will use some aspects of the EYLF when planning their time for the K-2 mob)

She asked the same question of my boss, who gave her a slightly more vague-sounding answer, but was justified in that she'd come from a daycare background. I said to my RM "I may not have had formal childcare training, but I do know my stuff!" (This part is true: both my boss and my RM have childcare-specific training, I come from a teaching background)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X