This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to get hired.

Not sure if this is the correct location since most of these people aren't technically customers, but it happened at work

So holiday season is here once more, and as such, we have people trying to get hired at our location. Sadly, we are actually not hiring this season, since we effectively have -10 hours each week, and can't even afford to give our own current GAs (lowest ranking members) guaranteed shifts week to week. This has not stopped people though, as hope springs eternal. However, some of these people stand out, and not in a good way. So here follows a helpful guide for anyone out there looking to work at GameStore.

1. Turning in an application which has literally none of your contact information on it. No phone, e-mail, address, etc. Name, how much you want, and no other references on one of our application forms, will result in zero chance of a callback.

2. Coming in while REEKING and barely being dressed. While we don't really mind people dropping off their applications in t-shirts or other casual outfits, some degree of showing you know how to clean yourself is useful.

3. Despite turning up in a Mario outfit, handing us an envelope with a ? block sticker seal, you made the crucial mistake of having your only reference be the guy who just got fired for stealing from our sister location. Very close, but sadly the bias meter is strong.

4. Shout at the top of your lungs that the wii u is a sh**y system, upon finding out that one of your favorite series has gone exclusive to it, after having annoyed the crap out of both manager and myself.

The next tips require a bit more detail than such simple summaries however, so please pay extra attention!

What not to do extended; Example A
    Me:
    HG: Happy Guy one of my CC's friends. Anytime he's been in the store, he's been very friendly and nice.
    CC: Coworker of Caffeine, but not actually on the clock for this. He gets compulsive desires to straighten the store
    NWFU: Not working for us. Random high school kid.

HG: "So after I got way more than I was expecting for that last trade, I brought in some more stuff." *hands neatly stacked pile of ds & 3ds games*
    Me: "Heh, you should get a good deal on most of these as well, you've got more than two pokemon games in here."
    HG: "Awesome. I'm hoping to pick up the wii u today, as well as MH3U, Hyrule warriors and perhaps some other games"
    *CC & HG go over to the wii u section while I scan in his games, he ends up only having to pay 20$ out of pocket for the system, and as such is now searching. I've gotten his wii u out once he's made his decision, and have moved on to the actual scanning of stuff*
    NWFU looks at what I'm doing, then attempts to squeeze through a narrow gap between our system display boxes and a gondola, upon not fitting, he hip checks the display boxes over. He then proceeds to walk up, and without any 'excuse me, or waiting'
    NWFU:"Hey, do you guys have any restrictions on hiring?"
    CC: *glaring at NWFU while picking up boxes*
    Me: /thinking, yeah, not being an asshole/ "We usually don't hire under the age of 17, since we handle age restricted materials" *turn to HG* "So we've got wii u, and th-"
    NWFU: "What?! But I'm 16!!"
    Me: "Guess you'll have to wait until next year!"
    NWFU: *Storms out, thankfully taking the actual path this time*
    Me: "Aaaand you're getting reported to the other stores so you don't get hired..."
    HG: "Did he seriously damage a display and then ask to get hired?"

What not to do extended: Example B

This one is a bit more GS picky

We are currently doing a pokemon giveaway, where to prevent people from sitting outside and just grabbing it, we've switched to codes on cards. All of GameStore decision, not just our store. No purchase or preorder is necessary, just come in, ask for the card.

B: Manager once more for the holidays
    RD: Really dude 20ish looking guy

RD: *comes in, wanders up to desk* "uh... yeah... so.... I want a pokemon card?"
    B: "Sure! Just a heads up, we're doing a midnight, did you have ruby or Saph preordered?"
    RD: "uh... no. I was gonna do it at Bullseye. Get one of those five dollar cards."
    B: "Oh, so they're closer to you?"
    RD: "no... I'm just gonna do it there." *stares at B for a creepy spaced out half minute* "Can I... uh... get a job application?"
    B: "Sure, here ya go!" *RD leaves, B giving him the finger under counter*

He didn't seem special needs, just... dickish. It was weird.

So anyway, if you decide that you wish to work for our *cough* glorious *hack* corporate overlords, make sure you don't do these!
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

Former GameStore guy here for several years -- always a 3rd key, never an ASM x.x

I remember what that was like...We were the busiest store in our district, so we typically had a stack of 200 apps by the first week of December.

Hint to people who DO wanna get hired there (trust me, you don't want to as much as you think you do) -- Make yourself known, but subtly. If an applicant is someone who has been hanging out at the store a couple times a week for the past year or two, obviously knows their stuff but doesn't get in the way, and is nice to the workers and the other customers (it doesn't matter if you buy one game a year or a hundred), that person will definitely be on the short list
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We had a guy come in last night asking about a job. The new-in-training manager told the guy we were hiring for overnights and went to get some info from him. He doesn't have a phone right now. Hmm, okay. Turns out he lives in the same apartment complex as manager so can he have the address...guy answers "Why would you need that?" Yeah, no. Turns out we already have the overnight position filled so, we don't need this guy. I'm thinking it wouldn't work out anyway.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Yeah, when I was DM at Game Store, we had a rule. ENTIRE application COMPLETELY filled out the first time around, or it wouldn't be considered. Easiest way to cut hundreds of applications down to 5 or 6.

Comment

Being able to read the handwriting on an application is also a good thing.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Frighteningly enough, even though he weeded tons of apps out on a regular basis, SM occasionally managed to hire someone who was unable to do basic alphabetization of games on the wall/sorting them by system...which is 90% of what you do as a newbie, and really the ONLY thing you do as holiday help.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Former GameStore guy here for several years -- always a 3rd key, never an ASM x.x

I remember what that was like...We were the busiest store in our district, so we typically had a stack of 200 apps by the first week of December.

Hint to people who DO wanna get hired there (trust me, you don't want to as much as you think you do) -- Make yourself known, but subtly. If an applicant is someone who has been hanging out at the store a couple times a week for the past year or two, obviously knows their stuff but doesn't get in the way, and is nice to the workers and the other customers (it doesn't matter if you buy one game a year or a hundred), that person will definitely be on the short list
              That was actually exactly how CC got hired. He was always in the store, and since we're abysmally slow, first on the 'hey, we have an open slot' list
              -Unknown Author

Comment

I understand not wanting to give a dime to them (note: strong distaste in my voice). But if you are desperate for a job, do not show it while applying for said job.

Ya, I only get my games from a small, locally owned, store "chain" (all of 2 locations). I do not pay any extra either.

I was very annoyed that the special "participating stores" Pokemon code were only them.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

basic alphabetization of games on the wall/sorting them by system...which is 90% of what you do as a newbie, and really the ONLY thing you do as holiday help.
                  Hell, even I could do that, and all I know about gaming is the names of a handful of game characters!

I suspect the reason that a lot of people apply for a job at a game store is that they have an unrealistic idea of what they're going to be doing all day. Hint: It's not playing games.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, part of it is trying to keep outside people from playing the games for hours on end >_> We simply never called Corporate to have them repaired/replace the controllers after kids basically destroyed the things (either that, or Corporate ignored the requests until holiday time).

And let's not forget the overwhelmingly generous employee discount! (does not apply to consoles, warranties, toys, candy (that shit is inedible anyway), new controllers...) -- what is is these days, 10% or 15? One nice aside, tho, we got that plus 10% extra off at B&N and their megastore version, and we got their special holiday bonus discounts as well; dunno if they still do that. That plus my existing "civilian" discount card for B&N allowed me to pick up those massive, complete Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes collections for 40 bucks or so when they were still retailing for more like $140 ^_^ Stacks with the dreaded discount card, too.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 11-03-2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      And let's not forget the overwhelmingly generous employee discount! (does not apply to consoles, warranties, toys, candy (that shit is inedible anyway), new controllers...) -- what is is these days, 10% or 15? One nice aside, tho, we got that plus 10% extra off at B&N and their megastore version...
                      15%, and now works on everything but new consoles, warranties and currency/time/gift cards, as well as stacking with the discount card. We no longer appear to be connected to B&N in a way that benefits the rank and file, alas
                      Last edited by EricKei; 11-03-2014, 07:10 AM. Reason: trimmed quote
                      -Unknown Author

Comment

My favorite application EVAH--

I was recruiting for a convenience store chain a "candidate" handed me an application

Application question: "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?"
                        Answer: "YES"
                        Please explain:
                        1. Aggravated assault
                        2. Attempted murder
                        3. Armed robbery of a convenience store

DUDE--seriously?!?!? how you gonna stand there all straight faced handing in an application when you rob c-stores???

ok, part of me wanted to hire him just cuz he would scared the snot out of the little thugs.

Comment

Maybe if he were applying to a job like "bodyguard" or something...
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Hell, even I could do that, and all I know about gaming is the names of a handful of game characters!

I suspect the reason that a lot of people apply for a job at a game store is that they have an unrealistic idea of what they're going to be doing all day. Hint: It's not playing games.
                            Sounds like customers of MY store (upscale women's apparel) who think its all sunshine and roses, they can play dress up all day, get first crack plus a hefty discount on merchandise, AND help customers pick out and put together pretty outfits.

While that is true, we also clean the store, straighten the entire store, dust, vacuum, clean mirrors and a lot of other crap. Many don't last long once they disocvoer this, plus the fact the "you must be able to work weekends" isn't optional, but a requirement, despite being told this in the hiring process.

Comment

Working...
                            X