Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whose store is the most disgusting/rundown?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose store is the most disgusting/rundown?

Right! As I mentioned somewhere, I've been saving up a post on how gross my store is. Not regarding its policies or customers, literally physically gross.

First, the shopping center was built in the late 1970s. It was at least two different fabric and craft stores before it fell to the current company. The area of town is not as popular or busy as it once was. A certain discount outlet is the other anchor store, and I'm absolutely amazed that it hasn't closed.

My first complaint was going to be the parking lot, which had deep divots that collected water, and tended to freeze in the winter, making it super fun to drive home at 10 PM. But they repaved it, so that's out. Though they didn't give us any cart returns, why is that? I'll continue with the shopping carts. My guess is that they are 15 years old. At least 10, because they are the same old crappy ones as when I started in 2005. For years they had accumulated fabric and thread in the wheels, so that a large percent wouldn't roll. Last year corporate decided to do something about it. Give us new carts, you say? Nope. They hired people to pressure wash them. It took most of the day, and the crew and truck took about 10 parking spots. Now the carts wheel okay, but they are still 15 years old. Many are rusty, and make the worst squealing sounds as they go. Also the plastic over the metal part you hold to push is cracked off on the majority. It's totally gone in some cases, and in others parts remain, like a crafter's post-apocalyptic nightmare.

On to the interior of the store. You know those false ceiling tiles that are going out of fashion? Well, like most shopping malls, the roof is flat, and that's bad news in this part of the country. So we have a lot of water damaged tiles. It rains so often, that the leaks have caused some tiles to mold. Part of the upper office ceiling tiles caved in during a hard rainstorm and never got fixed. And I don't think the floor has been replaced since this company took over. It has had several minor to moderate remodels since, so there are really clear outlines of where fixturing got moved from. If you look at the floor near the bottom of most fixtures, it's yellowing and discolored. Not positive why, it might be because it repeatedly gets floor wax but I don't think it gets properly stripped. The company who is contracted to do this habitually lies about completing the job. Old Manager knew this, but didn't have enough backbone to stand up to them. I bet New Manager does.

Now various minor gross outs. Framing has a chronic black spider infestation which never really goes away. The hanging number display (which can be seen from most of the store) that shows what number we are currently helping has about an inch of dust on the top. When the air kicks on, clumps of dust fall from the vent in a terrible parody of snow. The break room was sponge painted who knows how many years ago. There are weird discolored lines coming down from near the ceiling, like the walls sweated. There are various places when someone spilled something, it got on the wall, and they didn't clean it up. There is enough room for maybe 5 people to be on break at once. Maybe. The room is about 15'x10' and has a narrow table, a small counter with a sink, a coffee maker, and a microwave. There is a fridge, and a coat rack. Oh, and an industrial metal garbage can, which blocks the door open. The customer bathroom is directly across from the breakroom. That means while you're eating your lunch, you can hear what goes on in the bathroom. The customers waiting for the bathroom can hear our conversations. Sometimes they come to the door and tell us how icky the bathroom is, want a price check, or demand we help them even though we're on break.

Our handhelds only work in the center of the store. If you go around the perimeter it won't communicate and sits on “connecting.” Why, why couldn't they have got a slightly better router? It's freaking torture to attempt to do markdowns on quilting fabric. Last time, I loaded a bunch of bolts onto a cart and wheeled it to the middle of the store, scanned them all, wheeled it back and re-shelved them. Can we all say waste of time? We have six registers at the front of the store. Two are in the big customer service station. It's where the go-back bins are, and where we mostly do returns. The other register never gets used. Why, you ask? Because during the last remodel the line area got moved so that customers are funneled from the opposite direction and if there is a line, they would have to push through everyone backwards, and go around to the other side of the station. It would be like Costco having one register at the entrance of the store, where the person checking cards stands. So each morning, I have a till which I count, which never has money in it.

What's left? Oh! The stockroom. Each Monday, when we receive freight, the convayor belt blocks the customer bathroom. Since there is some kind of law which says we must provide one, we have to let customers into our super cramped stockroom to use ours. Well. We started getting our trucks at 3AM. Was it because of the bathroom issue? Nope. It was because our DM didn't think we were getting enough stocked. Yeah, because the freight crew couldn't work as fast with customers underfoot. (Actually, the earlier trucks have been good for everyone, I just hate that corporate did it because they decided WE weren't going fast enough when it was totally not our fault)

We have been told that a competitor is coming to our city. Currently no other store in town sells even close to the amount of fabric we do. There are a couple of little quilt shops, but that's it. The one that's coming is the one with the rhyming name. And, while I totally think there is the market for two fabrics stores in our area, I think that store would kill the one I work at. Partly because of the trashy store, and partly because of the way corporate runs things. Hell, if I didn't have specific issues with said competitor (I know, all corporations are evil, I have my reasons) I would jump ship in a heartbeat.

So! Anyone work at someplace worse?
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 11-02-2014, 06:54 PM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Your store sounds a lot like our former store. Parking lot in horrible condition, crappy lint-addled carts, leaky ceiling, plus we had sloping floors and huge cracks in the walls in the break room and back room. There was also a sewer grate in the floor by the bathrooms in the back room, which lent an aromatic bouquet to the place.

The new store is vastly better, but we still have problems. We still have a flat roof, hence the ceiling leaks during heavy rain. Even though we're supposed to have air conditioning, the air does not circulate at all (probably due to the pointlessly high ceiling -- seriously, they could've made it a two-story store!), leaving the store unpleasantly warm during the summer. We also have weak Wi-Fi and handheld reception. And since you and I work for the same company, I already know we're on the same page regarding Corporate.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Nope. Our wee little town got "rhyming craft store" and "mickey's" (craft store) at the same time a couple of months back, tho. I figure the leadership at one or the other is feeling really optimistic o_O ...That and a 'mermaid coffee'. And yet, even though this is one of those "the interstate IS one of the two main roads" towns, no Cracked-out Barrel ~_~
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Time for a visit from your Undercover Boss, then. Maybe then, he or she can help you get repairs done.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

• Cracked and chipped floor tiles
          • Falling ceiling tiles used to be a problem but not so much anymore; many of the tiles are water-stained though
          • Ceiling leaks in places
          • The backroom floor is sinking in one spot
          • The automatic entrance doors seemingly always need fixing
          • Ditto the EAS pedestals
          • Shit, anything electronic breaks at the worst possible time. Recently most of our phones just stopped working. Contacting anybody for anything was fun.
          • Carpeted areas are pockmarked with undisclosed stains
          • We don't have a parking lot as much as we have a missile test site where Dodge Grand Caravans and Toyota Camrys battle for automotive supremacy (Not really our issue; we call to have the potholes in our part of lot fixed ASAP. The company that owns the strip mall attached to the store is basically retail slumlords, so they don't fix their part of the lot until we get enough complaints to pass on to them)
          • Strangely the bathrooms are the worst thing usually mentioned on surveys, but they're not dirty or disgusting. Just dated.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Nope. Our wee little town got "rhyming craft store" and "mickey's" (craft store) at the same time a couple of months back, tho. I figure the leadership at one or the other is feeling really optimistic o_O ...That and a 'mermaid coffee'. And yet, even though this is one of those "the interstate IS one of the two main roads" towns, no Cracked-out Barrel ~_~
            We already have a Mickey's, but it's across town,20-30 minutes away. According to their website, my city has 12 Mermaid Coffees. We have something like 50 other coffee shops in town. Maybe more. Oh, the population is like 80k. Love coffee, we do.

XCashier, do you have actual public wi-fi?? Or do you mean the signal for the handhelds? Flat roofs are really terrible. At my old work at the roofing company we sent the guys yearly to training to put on this PVC product that's really good. A company needs to be certified to apply it, and each commercial job is inspected by a company rep and given a warranty. This is more rare than it sounds.

Oh, the faucet in the break room is basically encased in mineral (or something?) build up. It won't move, and part of the faucet has begun to decay. Or corrode?

We're getting a "major" remodel early next year, and have had several corporate visits which entailed a bunch of executive types wandering around before we opened and pointing at stuff. I reserve judgement until after it's finished.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              XCashier, do you have actual public wi-fi?? Or do you mean the signal for the handhelds?
              I mean so the customers can pull up internet coupons on their cell phones. I don't know the technical name for it.

The handheld signal isn't too bad, but they sure could've programmed the things better. I hate having only one visible line to see if I put the info in correctly!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My old job... the stupid ceiling tiles..yeah a few years ago it was raining really hard and one of the ceiling tiles that had been leaking finally gave up the ghost. It crashed down on a co-worker and destroyed about $300-$400 worth of merchandise. Also, the last year I was there..in the spring when all the snow melted and in the summer when it rained hard...leaks everywhere. At one point we had a makeshift funnel of plastic sheeting from the ceiling to a trashcan in apparel, our break room and in hardware.

We have a bottle return here in MI...so the bottle room was any employee's worst nightmare. I regretted learning how to change out the bins in the bottle room. It wasn't unheard of to stick to the floor in the bottle room, and the rest of the store once you were done with the bottle room. It always smelled like alcohol in there 'cause of the beer cans and just the fermenting sugar. Oh and if somebody put their spit bottle in to be returned...oh ew. I would wear 2-3 layers of gloves just to deal with it.

They started cleaning the fridge out weekly a few months after I started working there....before that there were wonderful science projects going on.

I found out recently that they finally..FINALLY updated their card readers. Before they did though...the models they had were at least 10-15 years old. Which meant that 1/2 of them didn't work or if they did it was because 1. We'd rub the cards on a shirt sleeve to build up a static charge, 2. we told them to run it going down to up or 3. they used the plastic bag trick.

Everything else wasn't too bad.

At my new job really the only crummy thing is that we get limescale built up in our sinks, around our drains and in our hot water wells so they have to be descaled twice a month.

Comment

Quoth Thana View Post
                  My old job... the stupid ceiling tiles..yeah a few years ago it was raining really hard and one of the ceiling tiles that had been leaking finally gave up the ghost. It crashed down on a co-worker and destroyed about $300-$400 worth of merchandise. Also, the last year I was there..in the spring when all the snow melted and in the summer when it rained hard...leaks everywhere. At one point we had a makeshift funnel of plastic sheeting from the ceiling to a trashcan in apparel, our break room and in hardware.
                  Oh yeah, that happened at the swamp several years ago.

We had the closest thing to a hurricane Wisconsin will ever experience going on. Heavy rain blown around by 50-60 mph winds. The ceiling was leaking like a sieve. My primary job that day was grabbing plastic storage totes, garbage cans, basically anything large enough to hold a good volume of water, positioning them underneath the leaks, and then dumping them outside when they filled up. And they filled up fast.

At least I wasn't the poor guy sent outside in a raincoat to prune plants in the garden center.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                  X