This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tired of helping other departments

don't get me wrong I'm totally willing to help out when needed. but it seems that every department i get on is required to help out the other departments. but those other departments aren't required to help us. sure they might help sometimes, but its voluntary.

if they have to work and i have the day off, i still have to come in and do their stuff. if they have the day off but i have to work, guess what they get the day off. if they do wind up helping us all we hear is "this isn't my job!"

if we finish early, we gotta go help them finish up. if they finish early, see ya later! enjoy your early day!

the worst is that usually when they're behind its because they suck. i hate having to get covered in fish guts just because the other guys would rather talk all day, take 25 minute breaks and generally slack off.

i know i should be appreciative of the opportunity for more hours, but i have a life too. i worked hard to get my stuff done in a timely manner so i can get home before bedtime and actually see my family. just because someone else has no life doesn't mean he should inflict his BS onto me.

anyone else stuck in this boat? i'm so tired of it.

Something similar to me. I stock SWJ third shift at a WalMart, and there is never any voluntary help. Also we zone at the end of the night, and i'm always the last out as i'm zoning the liquor aisle which no one does, even after being told by a co-manager that its part of their job (i wonder if i made it a drinking game they'd help).
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

This topic reminds me of back when I was working at Macy's - if "Chuck" (women's shoe department manager) was scheduled as one of the closing managers, he would expect the other departments to stay and help them complete their closing tasks. (not sure if this was true though, because I rarely worked a closing shift)

Comment

This stinks, I _hate_ inequitable treatment. This sort of favoritism causes no end of resentment. Is there someone in HR or management you can talk with about this?

If not, I'd refuse to come in on my day off...

Comment

I've seen this before in a number of jobs, but the whole 'working on your day off' thing is the worst part. That's the point where you should just say 'Nope, sorry, I've got plans.' unless you're truly desperate for the extra hours.

I'll second contacting HR about the unequal treatment.

Comment

i've done much complaining and no one seems to care. especially HR lady.

people tend to use the argument "that's not my job" and the bosses respond with "you all work for the company, and your job is whatever we say it is."

that's a nice idea. except when its so unfair! the people in the cooking section, they get to leave when their day is done. the butchers and cleaners get to leave when they're done.

when i was on the sanitation crew at night it was the same thing. we worked from 6pm-4am, and if they weren't done production when we showed up, we were required to go help them finish. if we're not done when they come in at 7, they get to punch in and sit on their butts while we finish. if there's anything not up to standard when we leave and one of them (god forbid!) has to pick up a hose and rinse something, we hear a never ending tirade of "that's not my job!"

Comment

Ok, i'll have to roll back my complaint a little bit. A busload of VIPs is coming tomorrow so i volunteered to switch my days and work tonight to help make sure the store is ready. Instead i'll only be getting one day off as they decided to pay me OT to make sure things are up to snuff. And i work at WalMart, they're either desperate (our store is representing the STL market) or they actually appreciate me.

Crap, now i gotta find something else to complain about for a while.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
              X