Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the occasional deaf customer at the wholesale club. While I don't sign ASL myself, I knew enough to look them in the face and speak as clearly and distinctly as I could, and when necessary, point to visual aids (totals on screen) and use simple gestures for other things. (Thumbs up, wave goodbye and smile)

The reactions I got from these deaf customers indicated they appreciated it.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
      .... get directions to the nearest ATM (she didn't take cards) and come back and buy it.
      A number of years ago, I tried and FAILED to get cash from a Turkish ATM. I was hoping that I could puzzle it out, but it was not to be. I can get by in much of Europe (Romance languages have enough similarities that I can eventually work some stuff out) but I have too little knowledge of any language remotely like Turkish...
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Many ATMs I used in Europe/UK seem to have a language option to select. Although if the option is in Turkish it might have been unreadable!

Comment

When I was in elementary school we were required to learn sign language, when I got to middle school it was apparently no longer necessary so after a while of not using it I forgot how to. My dad's cousin is deaf but is able to speak so he just looks at our mouths when we talk.
          ......../\
          ....../__\
          ..../\...../\
          ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
          X