Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am. Which is why it scares me that NO doctor I've ever had has mentioned that little tidbit (I was diagnosed four years ago); I saw it in a random article online and looked it up to verify. All they have ever mentioned, aside from the basics associated with the disease, were the slow healing & neuropathy issues. Unfortunately, my immune system has always had a sadistic sense of humor. Especially back when I was in school. I never fell ill during midterms or finals, or, say, in the middle of summer vacation when it wouldn't really matter. I tended to get sick a day or two before Thanksgiving or XMAS Eve. Now that I've long since graduated (Get off my lawn!), the timing has become more random, but no less inconvenient.
    Last edited by EricKei; 04-26-2016, 09:38 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
      Measles can do nasty things to your reproductive system too when you get them as an adult.
      Yeah,apparently it puts the ladies off if you whip it out for some fun time and it's got spots and scabs all over it
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I once caught the flu on the last day of school. The day we had parties and events.

I had a fever of 101.

I was so sad I had to go home

Comment

It even happened to me back when I worked for a print shop. The day of our annual crawfish boil/fish fry and pre-summer "everybody show up and bring your friends" party, I woke up feeling woozy. Felt better after an hour or two, Went to the party, had to leave after five minutes to go home because I couldn't take the aroma of the fish cooking (which I normally love); slept off the illness at home, whatever it was. Fortunately, I was together enough to stay away from the food line.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Update: Found out that the University near here put out a health alert saying that the measles has been spotted in a few students on their campus. My friend just messaged me saying she's come down with something and she suspects it to be measles. She goes to school there. Turns out, this is more widespread than previously thought. I wonder what the statistics are for people who don't develope antibodies when vaccinated and if that would match up with how many college students come down with it. Now I'm starting to wonder just how many of us have to contract this before it becomes a real threat to the community.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
              I had chicken pox as a kid. A few years back, what appeared but a very mild (thankfully) case of shingles, on my lower left abdomen. Yes, it itches, yes it hurts. I genuinely hope you never have it. ETA: Gaki, get well soon!
              I've had shingles and it is pure hell. The pain is nerve pain so normal painkillers do nothing.

On the plus side, I got shingles when I was working night shift, eating crap food and then didn't sleep for roughly 36 hours. My immune system must have been shot. And when I went to the doctor he gave me a script for an anti-viral... the pharmacist thought it wouldn't work and I shouldn't bother because it was over a hundred dollars, not covered by my insurance. I was like, I don't care if it's a voodoo fetish and costs a thousand dollars, GIMME!

And it worked like a charm. One day after taking the anti-viral, the pain was gone.

Comment

My mother got whooping cough in her sixties. Adult presentation/diagnosis is unexpected/difficult, apparently.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I am absolutely terrified of getting shingles.

Yes, I did have chicken pox.

OK, it was a chicken pock.

Yes, one. One measly thing, when my nieces and nephews had it a billion years ago.

*sigh*
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    Now I'm starting to wonder just how many of us have to contract this before it becomes a real threat to the community.
                    Ask a handy doc -- Even if it's a nurse on duty at the school (e.g. ask what precautions to take). All ya need is one person in the incubation stage (infected and possibly contagious, but not yet symptomatic) to spread it and start it all up again. Talk to an expert

Comment

I happen to be one of the *sarcasm* lucky folks who either don't develop immunity from the vaccine or that it wears off. I have had to get the MMR vaccine a total now of 4 times. Sucks to be us.

Comment

I have edited this post as I was informed it was possible offensive apologies.
                        Last edited by Crai; 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Crai, while I agree with the overall sentiment, the specific expressions thereof should probably be ported over to our sister site, www.fratching.com/ ...
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                            I've had shingles and it is pure hell. The pain is nerve pain so normal painkillers do nothing.

On the plus side, I got shingles when I was working night shift, eating crap food and then didn't sleep for roughly 36 hours. My immune system must have been shot.
                            Pure hell, indeed. I was diagnosed at 30; I'm 65 now. I average two-three outbreaks a year . . . Always when I'm under stress.

And, it can affect nerve endings well away from the actual rash. The rash erupts on my backside (yeah, yeah, TMI) but the pain can actually manifest as chest pain. Wound up in the ER first time that happened. Now I worry whether I'll neglect a heart attack because it just feels like the shingles is back . . .

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              Crai, while I agree with the overall sentiment, the specific expressions thereof should probably be ported over to our sister site, www.fratching.com/ ...
                              What he said. Please keep this and any other controversial discussion off here.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Ugh, I hate it when people drag their sick kids places. A colleague of mine caught flu from a sickly child brought into the petrol station by its insane mother. Um, either stay home or leave the child in the car if you really must come here and buy smokes and chocolate for yourself. I mean, I'd just about understand if you have to buy milk for your non sick children or fuel for the family car that your other half needs to get to work, but if all you're buying is cigarettes and Mars bars? Screw you.
                                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                                X