X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes in customer files

Hello,

I have a question for the people on this site who work in call centers or receive service calls from customers.

I know that sometimes you make notes about abusive or otherwise annoying customers so the next call can be handled with the disdain it deserves.

Do you make notes if customers are polite and grateful for your help? You know, the ones who call and admit their problem is probably between the chair and keyboard but are just confused by technology and call back your supervisor to say nice things about the service they got?
    It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

When I was outward facing, my notes were always factual. It's VERY important to do so because in my country, the customer can request a copy of our notes and we must provide it. You don't want anything rude in the notes.

However, if my factual notes make the customer look like an idiot, well... that's on them.

Comment

If they were cooperative in such s way to make me take note, yes.

Comment

Like with Aria, notes at my job have to be very factual and to the point, usually they'll read something like this:

Cx (a common abbreviation for cusotmer) called in because his data wasn't working. Checked network and account, found plan error, corrected and tested. Working now. Cx satisfied.

OR

Cx called in disputing activation fee. Cust claims was never told about the fee. Edu (short form for educated) cust why the fee exists and that the charge is valid. Cust then abruptly disconnected call.

For an abusive SC, they tend to read more like this:

Cust called demanding a new phone because the one he has is broken. Not upgrade eligible, no insurance. Reviewed replacement options. Cust doesn't want to have to pay for new phone. Edu cust his only options require payment. Cust got vulgar and abusive, demanded we send him a free phone or he'd go to competition. Xfer (short form for transferred) call to cancellations dept.

So you can see we can mention when they get vulgar and abusive but we we're not supposed to be too specific on what was said. Despite this I have seen account notes that specifically mention the customer using racial slurs or "the N word".

As for the really good customers, I usually just mention at the end of my notes: cust was very happy with the resolution. Requested manager to compliment our service.

I also want to mention that <Red Checkmark> notes are indeed proprietary and customers are not entitled to have access to them.
        Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 05-25-2016, 01:33 AM.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

call back your supervisor to say nice things about the service they got?
          Whut??

Unfortunately, this rarely happens. Not because I don't give good service because freakin' hell I do and wouldn't have been there 37-1/2 years if I hadn't - but because most people would rather complain than offer praise.

But yes, if someone is particularly pleasant, I will put a note such as "nice lady" or "very pleasant." Doesn't happen very often. Most people are not one thing or the other, just kind of "meh."

Even if credit has to be given, I usually just note that it was, and why. If they're aren't happy with what was offered, it's in the manager's hands.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Not really. The best customers tend to be the least noteworthy.

The only time I might note if a customer is nice is if I have to pass the information onto someone else and its relevant.

The places I've worked for want you to keep notes professional as the information can be subpoenaed and is often read by the higher ups. I usually only note if someone is problematic if it impacted the call and to cover my ass. I'm usually focused on clear, accurate notes describing what happened. And being as neutral as I can.

Comment

At the tax office, we note only the extremes in behavior. The daughter of one of my regulars, once rearranged some chairs in our waiting area to form a makeshift cot where she napped whilst I did the custy's return.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

When I worked in the Call Center from Hell, we were told to be very cautious about what was contained in our notes, as if the customer were to take any kind of legal action said notes could be called into evidence and could be a problem in defending the company.
                "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

As a customer if I am really happy with the resolution (which is often, as I understand that reps can only do so much), I ask if there is a survey I can take. I make note of the reps name, then if there is a survey I fill it out honestly. Most places have a survey option, but not all reps can ensure that a customer can take said survey.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Another one here where we had to be nothing but factual. Our calls were monitored/recorded though so it never stopped me from putting things like "Customer stated we are all liars and crooks." or "Customer became angry and began to swear, terminated call after 3 strikes" or "Customer made threats, call immediately terminated". As a warning to those who might encounter them later.

I once got an agent (visited a property to try to encourage payment of the bill) into trouble for reporting back in his notes that the customer "Looked like krusty the clown" and "Smelled really bad"...

These notes could be requested by the customer. Can you imagine the field day they'd have?!

Comment

This reminded me of a story from a friend who worked at a video rental place
                      The note on a customer's account was:
                      "yes that's really his name, DO NOT ASK HIM ABOUT IT!!!!"

Customer in question was a shaved headed, long bearded, tattooed biker looking type who's name was "Skull"
                      Last edited by the lawsmeister; 05-30-2016, 10:11 PM. Reason: I will learn to spell, I will learn to spell, I will learn to spell
                      Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Sadly my pizza place does not allow much in the way of customer notes other than

Management must check order before delivery
                        NO CHECKS
                        ADULT order only
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Sadly no which kinds sucks because 90% of my cx are pretty good and it's the rare ones that are bad. I will put in notes for bad ones, explained bill, cx declined explanation, once again explained bill, cx declined. Charges are valid, no need for any credits and I put a pop up on account depending on situation, I love getting a cx that calls right back after being told no, I will read them the notes back and ask them "you just spoke to so or so and they explained everything is there anything else I can help you with" Pure gold!!

Comment

most notes at the campground are along the lines of "guest may have extra tent on site, knows about extra charge" or "will be in after hours". and other such... but we are free to be as descriptive as we would like (within reason, of course... the boss can read these notes too). if someone gives us crap. i've gotten verbose a few times. lol

there is, however, a comment line also on the reservation screen which is separate from the notes field... and THAT we have to be careful what we put there... that line prints when we print arrival and departure lists, and a customer would be able to read it if they spotted a list laying on our counter. most times the comment line only has a brief reason why a site was locked, or a note that there will be a late checkout.

Comment

Where I used to work, it was rare to comment on that kind of thing. I would only write notes about inappropriate behaviour when someone was banned from posting/blocked from messaging on our social media channels, where I did customer service. If they were really vulgar and spammy, and if they had been warned over and over again, I would get permission to ban them and note that in their file in case they called in to complain about it. Once, I did see a note from an email support agent about a customer being banned from email support for being abusive (and I was also noting that he was banned from social media support for the same things). Most of the time though, it was really easy to tell who was a trouble maker because their notes would say things like "Customer became irate and hung up".

I would occasionally get messages from people passing on compliments, but we had an internal system to deal with that outside of the customer note system. I would only note something like "Customer extremely happy with service from prior agent" in their file.

Comment

Working...
                              X