This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Co-Worker

I love my co-worker. We have worked together for nearly a year now, 3 days a week, 32 hours a week. We have similar personalities and senses of humor, plus he's very sarcastic like me and we both have no tolerance for stupidity or drama. We also love to give each other grief during our shift, because we can both take it and dish it out as well. Our boss says we get along and fight like an old married couple.

He is always willing to do his patrols, plus whatever other random stuff pops up during our shift without complaint. He knows his own job, and all the patrols, and knows all of the buildings like the back of his hands. He also trains new guards on patrols, and does our monthly audits.

He recently found out that he has cancer, and last week, found out that it may be more widespread than they initially suspected. He has still shown up for work every day (he only called in sick one night). But he is still showing up doing his patrols and anything else that I request of him (I've been cutting him some slack on patrols which my boss knows about and is ok with). He is obviously weak, sick and tired, but he still has a positive attitude.

He also gave me a ride to and from work, on his day off, when our car was in the shop and I didn't have money for a taxi. He's also been giving me a ride in to work 2 nights a week, since I don't drive and my husband recently started a new job, and gets off work an hour later, than I need to be in work. I've been paying him for it, and he knows he's welcome to stop by early for dinner anytime and I've been burning him a bunch of DVDs that he's asked for. He was also the first person to wish me a Happy Birthday, and Happy Mother's Day this year and brought me dinner for my birthday. He is also always available to listen if I want to talk, or vent, about whatever.

He is truly a great guy, even though he constantly threatens to leave 3rd shift, or transfer to another site.I told him he's not allowed to leave me, otherwise I would have to go track him down and start working with him at his new site and he said he would do the same to me if I ever left.

I'm sorry to hear he's going through so much health wise and it makes me sad, because I can tell it's hitting him a lot harder than he lets on and I can tell how crappy, sick, and worried he's feeling about the entire thing, plus he has been quieter and more subdued and solemn than usual, which I understand.

I'm trying to be as supportive as I can, and listen to him when he needs to vent, and I always check in with him during our shifts, and he asked me if he could call me after his doctor's appointments to let me know what's going on, which is fine with me. He has a small family, is single and doesn't really have any friends outside of work, plus I'm one of the few people at work who actually asks how he's doing, and talks to him.

I told him that even though I only know him through work, that I consider him to be a friend, and that I care about him, and will always be there for him, even if his health forces him into leaving his job.

I'm planning on visiting him in the hospital, when he starts undergoing treatment (if he'll allow it and is feeling up to it), and I've already bought him a card, that I plan on having the rest of the office sign. I'm trying to come up with a reasonably priced thoughtful gift, that will either come from everyone at the office or just me, if they don't feel like contributing.

It's great that you're there for him. He definitely needs it now of all times.
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Working...
    X