This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Bus Suckage

This story is from last year, but it still annoys me to think about it, so I'll post it here. My son goes to preschool in the mornings 4 days a week from 9-12, but he rides the bus, to and from so it's more like 8:30 to 12:30.

He rides one bus with one driver to school, then rides a different bus with a different driver on the way home. He also has Autism and somewhat limited communication skills. So I put him on the morning bus with no incident, and all is well.

Then in the afternoon, the bus was supposed to arrive at 12:30. So I decided to go out and wait for the bus at 12:15 since the drop off times aren't always accurate in the first couple days, as they get issues with the route and stuff sorted out.

So I waited outside from 12:15 to 12:45, and no bus ever came down our street, let alone stopped at our house. So I decide to call the school, to find out what's going on.

The receptionist answers and asks how she can help me. I tell her my son's bus was supposed to drop him off at 12:30, it's now 12:45 and there's been no bus. She immediately launches into a lecture about how I must have missed the bus and that my son is on the bus and was taken back to the school, then she starts lecturing me on the importance of being out there to get him off the bus on time, and about the drop off policy. I tell her that I've been waiting outside since 15 minutes before the bus was even scheduled to drop him off, and I've been outside the entire time, so no I did not miss the bus.

This finally shuts her up for a second then she asks me, "Your son's name is Joe right?" I tell her no, that's not my son, and give her his name. Then she tells me that some other parent forgot to get their kid off the bus and they had to take the kid back to the school, and that's why my son's bus was running late. It did finally show up at 1:00, 30 minutes late.

I was still really annoyed with the receptionist assuming I'd just forgotten to get my kid off the bus, and not even checking to see which kid I was talking about before launching into her lecture.

Unless the other child had some time critical medical need -- why go back to the school first? For our PK-5 students the bus has to wait till they get inside. If the student can't get in their house - they get back on the bus. Bus driver calls in that Johnny Smith can't get in his house because (the key stuck, he lost his key, no-one is there to let him in) and is back on the bus. The school starts contacting the parent then. Then the driver finishes the route. Next the driver goes back to Johnny Smith's stop to see if someone is home to let the child in. Finally they take the student back to the school. If the child isn't picked up by 4:30 or at least some communication with the parent by then the cops are called. The last step is unfortunate but we had a group of kids that were locked out every single day, returned to the school and the parents wouldn't show till 6:30 - 7:00 pm. It was their version of free day care. (We have onsite daycare with a sliding scale and scholarships)

The only reasons a driver would leave the route before dropping off the other kids is
    1. Medical Emergency for the child
    2. Child is so disruptive that driving the rest of the route would be dangerous.

Comment

So she KNEW there were other kids on the bus besides Joe, and therefore knew other parents might call (even if you're at the end of the route, there's still... you.) but launched in anyway? Nice.
      I applaud the fact that she's setting something right w/ the less than on the ball folks, but get your ducks in a row first.

Comment

Quoth kaherbert View Post
        The only reasons a driver would leave the route before dropping off the other kids is
        1. Medical Emergency for the child
        2. Child is so disruptive that driving the rest of the route would be dangerous.
        I have no idea why they do it that way, but it's been that way since my son started attending preschool two years ago. The only reason I could think of why they would do it that way is that it is a special needs blended preschool, which means half the class is typical kids, the other half could have any type of special needs.

Our policy is (for the preschoolers anyway) that a parent has to walk them to the bus, and wait with their child until the bus arrives in the morning. In the afternoons, a parent must come and meet the bus and walk their child from the bus to the house.

If a parent doesn't come and meet the bus in the afternoons, they will try and call the parent, then if they don't get a response, they interrupt the route, and take the kid back to school to wait in the office, and the office tries to reach the parents.
        Last edited by MadMike; 08-01-2013, 01:40 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Working...
        X