Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier today in Payday 2 (basically a multiplayer game where you're a bunch of bank robbers/heist criminals) in Payday, there's generally two ways of doing things, going loud, which while it usually involves massive shootouts, is the quickest and easiest way of completing a mission or stealth, which is extremely slow, tedious and requires massive amounts of luck, patience and timing. It's normally a 4 man heist job, this particular bank job? I did it with one other person, with me basically doing all the work, with the other guy just watching the cameras for the guards. What normally takes about 15 minutes if that tops, took us nearly an hour, but we managed to grab all the bags of gold and open and loot all 120 safety deposit boxes entirely undetected! It was the first time I'd done that with me doing all the work, so man was I relieved to not mess up and get away clean.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Many years ago, in A-10 Tank Killer, I managed to get the plane shot to pieces. That's not too unusual, but the MANNER in which it happened must have been a fluke. Somehow, I got it onto the ground at zero speed (i.e. NOT crashing, which would have resulted in a mission failure), so the game was a draw - everything that could get shot off the plane was shot off (some after the landing), and I couldn't move or shoot the enemy vehicles. In short, they couldn't destroy me, and I couldn't destroy them.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I am going to go a bit old school for mine. Back about 35 years ago when pinball machines and simple coin-op video games still ruled the world

When I was in college at that time and one of the local bars (yes they were a bit more 'loose" about the age thing back then) had a KISS pinball machine. I had played it a few times. AND I was far from being a "pinball wizard" by any stretch of the imagination.

One night the stars aligned, the Gods smiled upon me and pixie dust rained down like a thunderstorm. I kicked the machine's ass. I could do no wrong. I kept getting replay after replay after replay. I hit the multi-ball every couple of minutes. I hit the score multipliers numerous times. I hit free ball several times.

In the end I got 3d high score.

I ran the machine on one quarter for like 45 minutes AND I was straight no booze or other substances coursing through my system.

Never was able to repeat that performance.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Racket's pinball one reminded me of one that I can't believe I forgot...though I don't have pictures of the screen any more, so it's hard to prove these days. Way back in high school (about 14 years ago now...yeesh...) I was the bomb at Time Crisis 2. Our local arcade would do $10 Tuesdays/Thursdays, where a ten got you free play for about 5 hours on every machine. I would go in and just replay TC2 over and over, restarting if I died. Got to the point where I had every pattern and trick of the game down, including all the ways to get secret bonus points. I could also hit every person I killed about 8 times before they despawned, for max points (for reference, that means about 8 trigger pulls in about 1.5 seconds. I was fast). Watching me play was like watching a recording: I shot the same way in the same places every time, and had the timing completely memorized...since the shots always came at me the same way every time, I had the dodging memorized. I could almost do it with my eyes closed.

My best high score was around 1,238,000 points, and AFAIK is still one of the reigning high scores for the game. To put that in perspective, a good player could get through the game on one credit, and hit around 800-900k. A great one would be closer to the 1 million mark, so it took a LOT of tricks to get higher than that, much less to 1.2 mil. The guys at the arcade sent it in to Gamepro Magazine with a picture (though the initials I used at the time were FAQ, not my own), so it's recorded out there somewhere...but Gamepro is gone now.

They made the game easier to score high on in the PS2 version, but I had the distinction of being the all-time highest score for at least few years...for a while, I had the top 3 scores until someone finally knocked off my "worst" attempt (about 1.15 mil) off the list.
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            I am going to go a bit old school for mine. Back about 35 years ago when pinball machines and simple coin-op video games still ruled the world
            Ah, pinball machines... the same arcade that had the Silent Scope 2 machine I spoke about before also had a pinball machine. I forget the name of it, but it had a medieval theme to it, and to 'beat' the game, you had to defeat several villainous lords before challenging the evil king or whomever. The game would taunt you and threaten you throughout play, depending on which villain you were currently in the process of trying to beat.

The order of the lords varied which each play, but one of them was Lord Howard Hurtz, who talked like a Mafia hit man.

On one play of mine, he declared, "I'm gonna make you sleep with the fishes!" Not two seconds later, I shot the ball into the slot for defeating the villain, and get a huge bonus score, and I snapped back, "Now you're gonna sleep with the fishes!"

A moment after I said that, the game finished the 'villain defeated' cycle, displayed the 'Howard Hurtz Defeated!' message, and Hurtz then wailed, "Now I'm gonna sleep with the fishes!"

Me and my friends both burst out laughing.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I've started playing 'Dead Pixels' which is basically Left4Dead with deliberately crappy graphics.

I think I'll remember this game.

It's a rare game where I'll say: Why does this game hate me?! and then try again. I usually like to explore the world games have created. I rarely enjoy doing the actual plot. XP This makes those games that are hard usually not be very appealing.

You have three modes, and I beat the first two after a few hours, and now I'm working on the third. It's just easy enough to be satisfying when you're mowing down dozens of zombies, but hard enough it still has you running in one direction going: HOW MANY FUCKING BULLETS CAN THIS THING TAKE! DON'T BITE MY FACE OFF!!

From what I can tell, it randomly generates between several types of zombies:
              * Spitters (like bloaters from Left4Dead). They're the biggest threat of the lower ones.
              * General zombies.
              * Runners. They're fast, but you can outrun them, and one-shot them if you have a decent weapon.

Medium:
              There are two varieties of masked zombies that take 4x the bullets to kill. There's also the hipster zombie, which seems to take 1.5x.
              Then there's the army zombies, where it makes sense they take 4x the bullets, considering they're in armor.

Hard:
              Army spitters.
              Masked runners. Faster than normal, take 2.5x bullets to kill.

Then, randomly, you get 'special' zombies, which terrify me:
              Flaming masked
              Tentacle zombie

And one of the game modes has an infected survivor that just tries to kill everything. You keep him away from you, and he'll go after the zombies.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                I usually like to explore the world games have created. I rarely enjoy doing the actual plot. XP This makes those games that are hard usually not be very appealing.
                THIS. I love exploring a game world, not just to find the collectibles (though that is part of it), but because there's usually lots of "flavor" to be found that deepens the backstory or mythos in a created world.

Remember Me was one of those games for me. I wanted so badly to go out and free-climb all over Neo-Paris, but the game was very strictly linear. There were parts of the levels you could explore to find, solely so you could find one of the collectibles. (One set of collectibles increased your health, one set increased your Focus, one set gave you an XP bonus, and the last set unlocked some info about the world's backstory.) But it was otherwise a very linear beat-em-up. The big "remix someone's memory" selling point that had been all over the hype for the game? Only at certain points in the story, and even then, only four times.

The game could have been so much better.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My first experience with MMORPGs was Shadowbane. It was a game where you could build up your town and other people would try to destroy it. My favorite character was my Aracoix (birdman) scout named Rooskie Trawler. There was one night when I was shadowing one of the gank squads to make sure they weren't coming our way. It was pretty cool as I struck up a conversation with them and stuff.

I think my favorite all time game though was one called F-14 Fleet Defender by Microprose. It was the first flight game where I felt like I was actually flying a plane. I can't remember how many times I tangled iwth Soviet Bears in that one...

Comment

Just had another great Payday 2 moment.

We'd dominated one guard (got him to surrender and cuff himself) which ments we were free to slowly take our time and kill off the rest of the guards one by one, the cuffed guard got spotted, so we slam down out ECM Generators and absoloutely rush through the level to kill off the rest of the guards before our ECM Jammers run out, result? ON a mission that takes normally a good 15-20 to clear out all the guards, we had cleared out all the guards in under 3 and a half minutes! Without even meaning to speed rush.

Comment

I have 3 moments: the first one I don't think I can actually call a gaming moment since I didn't actually start playing the game yet. I knew I was going to the midnight release of Final Fantasy XIII, I went to a friends house to borrow his phone because he had the victory fanfare as one of his ringtones. My plan was to play it on full volume when I walked out of the store, I thought it would seem cool even though it seemed kind of nerdy. When it was my turn to go in (they were only letting 3 people in at a time) there were like 8 or 9 people behind me, I got my game and strategy guide then walked out playing the ringtone. The remaining people in line cheered, I felt like the coolest person in the world.

The second one: the first time I got to the real final boss of Kirby's dreamland 3, it felt like it took forever. It was a pain in the ass to get all those little crystals to do it, I'm not gonna lie I spent a lot of time swearing at the tv.

The third one: actually finishing the first game I ever played/owned, the first video game I ever played/owned was Metroid 2. When I got to the first boss and it started coming after me I freaked out and shut the game off, I didn't play it for a couple of years but when I did pick it back up I didn't stop playing it until I beat it.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Now the recommendations: The legend of Zelda: A link to the past I love this one, the story was great and I love how they did the 2 worlds. And it was funny to see Link as a pink bunny.

Metroid 2 I know a lot of people don't like this game because they don't like the way it looks because its a Metroid game on a Gameboy, but it plays really well and I thought the enemies were great.

Kirby's dreamland 3 I spent a shit ton of hours playing this (and swearing at it) but its incredibly fun, I would definitely recommend this to everybody.

Final Fantasy XII a lot of people give this one crap because of he battle system, but I think it's got a great story. Another reason is that for the first time ever in a final fantasy game you don't have to have the main character in your party when he's present, I never did like Vaan much.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

I'll just leave this here, what I did for a laugh yesterday in Rome Total War 2

Yes, that is 156 Onagers (Catapults) firing nothing but dead cows/goats/sheep/something towards an enemy. What's even funnier is 1. When hit by said cows, the units don't always die, so thats repeat entertainment right there and 2. The units raise their shields, as if that was going to help!

What I especially like is creating full roman legions (albeit scaled down slightly due to to game limitations.

THIS is my "Small legion" Technically mostly correct, albeit about 1/3 the size of a full Imperial Legion

THIS however, is a to scale, quite accurate Polybian roman legion.

Comment

My favorite gaming moment lately was in Skyrim (also a recommendation ). There's a quest that starts as a drinking contest in one of the bars in Whiterun. Naturally, you black out and can't remember what happened. The quest takes you all around Skyrim, trying to piece back together what happened during your wild night of partying.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            I'll just leave this here, what I did for a laugh yesterday in Rome Total War 2

Yes, that is 156 Onagers (Catapults) firing nothing but dead cows/goats/sheep/something towards an enemy. What's even funnier is 1. When hit by said cows, the units don't always die, so thats repeat entertainment right there and 2. The units raise their shields, as if that was going to help!

What I especially like is creating full roman legions (albeit scaled down slightly due to to game limitations.

THIS is my "Small legion" Technically mostly correct, albeit about 1/3 the size of a full Imperial Legion

THIS however, is a to scale, quite accurate Polybian roman legion.
                            I hate opening up screenshots sometimes- I want to start clicking through units to check them out
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                              My favorite gaming moment lately was in Skyrim (also a recommendation ). There's a quest that starts as a drinking contest in one of the bars in Whiterun. Naturally, you black out and can't remember what happened. The quest takes you all around Skyrim, trying to piece back together what happened during your wild night of partying.
                              That was the point I discovered my female character was a bisexual!

Funny thing is, I figured it was going to be easy. I was like: I'll win this! My character can't get drunk!

A few dialogue trees later...

Comment

Working...
                              X