This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad said...

Back around Father's Day, the clothing store I work in had a coupon, offering $10 off $25 spent on men's apparel. Now since people don't read coupons, I was constantly pointing this out, and most people took it alright. Not this one lady.

Me: "I'm sorry, this coupon is only valid on men's apparel. It says right here."
    SC: "I know. My dad got the coupon." (it was in the newspaper, not a special mailed out one.)
    Me: "Okay, but you can only use it for men's apparel, not lady's dresses."
    SC: "It's fine. My dad told me to use it."
    I turn the computer to show her the register rejecting the coupon. "I'm sorry, it won't go through."
    SC: "But my dad told me to use it. He told me to go shopping with it and buy myself something."
    Me: "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do unless you buy men's clothes."

Mind you, this lady was like forty, well old enough to read and comprehend coupons. But if she had pushed it any longer, I was tempted to say, 'I'm sorry, but unless your father is (CEO), then what he said is irrelevant.

Lines are for lesser people

So, I was at the register dealing with a family. They had picked out a couple of dresses and were asking questions about them, price checks and what not. And I can't just leave one customer to deal with another, no matter how annoying they are (not that this family was annoying). I'd just looked up a couple of prices and they were deciding which items to buy. It had been maybe three seconds before the next person in line says something to me. I thought she was asking me to hold things (customers don't think they have to wait in line for that), so I took her items and set them aside, to finish with this family. Then the SC hands me her credit card.

Me: "I'm sorry, they're in line already. I'll help you when they're done."
    SC: "They were walking away." (said in a snotty tone, of course) (oh, and, no they weren't)

The family decides to pay for the dresses in three different transactions. No problem, took, all in all, maybe five minutes. But the entire time, the SC has set her card down on the counter and keeps pushing it closer and closer to me. I just ignore her, but seriously? You don't understand how a queue works? So, for the patient family, I found a couple extra deals, but for the SC? Nothing extra. Being rude always pays...extra anyway.

It's not a credit card

This last one is more of a COC, but I'm just adding it to this thread. My store has a credit card. It is a proper credit card, with a credit check and everything. While there are rewards tied to it, it is in no way just a rewards card. However, one of my co-workers tells customers that. I've listened to her spiel, and while technically she's doing nothing wrong, it's still deceitful. She uses clever language to cover the fact that it's a credit card. If you specifically ask her, "Is this a credit card?" She responds back, "only if you want it to be." A lot of customers do choose to put their order on their card for the perks and then immediately make a payment on their card so it never holds a balance, but it's still a credit card. And management won't do anything about it because she gets a bunch of signups. And since she gives them the proper paperwork, it's all legal. But horribly shady. I may get way less apps than she does, but at least I'm not lying to or tricking people.

But, but, but Pixi, her Dad SAID IT WAS OK!
    Yes, custy, your dad divined the store's hidden agenda; that coupon was really a personal gift just to him, and he could dispense it in any manner that pleased him.
    Idjit.

Credit card nudger? Wow. I'm trying to think of where I learned enough manners to not cut lines. iirc, it wasn't a one day special presentation in kindergarten. It was kind of a life long here and there sort of thing. So when people do this, I KNOW they know it's wrong - they didn't just miss the one lesson. And yet they do it anyway. I wish more people would call their fellow custys out on this sort of thing; it'd make the world better for us all.

Yep. Shady as oak trees. Hope it doesn't blow up in the store's face.

Comment

Quoth Pixi_kitty View Post
      I may get way less apps than she does, but at least I'm not lying to or tricking people.
      If management ever gives you shit for your lower numbers, be sure to mention this to them. Could get open up the place to liability, methinks (for deceptive practices -- they are AWARE that she is doing this, but not stopping her).

As for the "nudger" -- that's just asking to get one's credit card stolen. If they don't hand it to you, it's not your responsibility.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hope she never pulls that line with the cops. You know, "But my dad said I could speed/murder/steal/deal crack".

Comment

"But my dad SAID ..." Um, perhaps your father needs better glasses ... ? Not to be rude to Dad, I'm sure he was just trying to be nice, but ... even if HE didn't/couldn't read the fine print, why can't you?

As for the credit card nudger ... did you have one of those rolling belts at your station, like they do in grocery stores? I'd have given a lot of money to see that credit card vanish into the depths, from whence (if I'm not mistaken) nothing ever returns ...

Comment

I would encourage your co-worker to read up on the CARD Act of 2009.
            Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              As for the credit card nudger ... did you have one of those rolling belts at your station, like they do in grocery stores? I'd have given a lot of money to see that credit card vanish into the depths, from whence (if I'm not mistaken) nothing ever returns ...
              Seen that happen with store savings cards a time or two b/c somebody placed it on TOP of their items and then as I start grabbing and scanning, the card falls onto the belt and then before you know it, the belt has swallowed it whole . . .

Cue much panicking from the customer while I calmly pull out the catch tray underneath and pick their card up. Hand it back and tell them "These belts are pretty hard to stop sometimes."

And silently hope they've learned a good lesson and don't pull that shit again.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The family decides to pay for the dresses in three different transactions. No problem, took, all in all, maybe five minutes. But the entire time, the SC has set her card down on the counter and keeps pushing it closer and closer to me.
                I'd have been tempted to ask the SC "Do you want to put their purchase on your card?" After all, she was pushing the card toward you while you were ringing up someone else's purchases.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I had another one today! I was ringing up a person on one register then jumped to the one next to it to check the website for something. A person came up and I told her it'll just be a minute, and I'd help her when I was done with these people. She walked over right in front on them and placed her stuff. I ignored her stuff for the first people, but she was standing right in front of the machine thingy. The customer had to physically reach around her to sign. What is wrong with people?

Comment

I had another one today! I was ringing up a person on one register then jumped to the one next to it to check the website for something. A person came up and I told her it'll just be a minute, and I'd help her when I was done with these people. She walked over right in front on them and placed her stuff. I ignored her stuff for the first people, but she was standing right in front of the machine thingy. The customer had to physically reach around her to sign. What is wrong with people?
                    I had someone try that when I was a customer once. I was waiting on a manager to approve the discount, and this entitled prick 'shoves' me out of the way to start complaining about something.

Now I'm not a small guy, and at this point I had hair down to my lower back, was wearing ripped jeans, and a sleeveless Pantera shirt..I calmly stepped inbetween him and the cleark and said 'the line is there'. Dude nearly wet himself.
                    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

My dad said...
                      Yeah, well, my dad said "Payment in full."
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        I wish more people would call their fellow custys out on this sort of thing; it'd make the world better for us all.
                        Quoth TimmyHate View Post
                        ...I calmly stepped inbetween him and the cleark and said 'the line is there'. Dude nearly wet himself.
                        Perfect, and thanks!

Comment

It's not a credit card

This last one is more of a COC, but I'm just adding it to this thread. My store has a credit card. It is a proper credit card, with a credit check and everything. While there are rewards tied to it, it is in no way just a rewards card. However, one of my co-workers tells customers that. I've listened to her spiel, and while technically she's doing nothing wrong, it's still deceitful. She uses clever language to cover the fact that it's a credit card. If you specifically ask her, "Is this a credit card?" She responds back, "only if you want it to be." A lot of customers do choose to put their order on their card for the perks and then immediately make a payment on their card so it never holds a balance, but it's still a credit card. And management won't do anything about it because she gets a bunch of signups. And since she gives them the proper paperwork, it's all legal. But horribly shady. I may get way less apps than she does, but at least I'm not lying to or tricking people.
                          i hate that. but in all fairness, if you're asked for your SSN, etc. it IS a credit card. that isnt needed for a simple rewards card, so if the customers are too dense to figure that out, well, what can you do. your CW is sneaky, but its also up to customers to know and understand what they're getting into, and if they can't differentiate between a CC and reward card, well, its on them.

but i don't agree with your CSs methods. we havea store card and rewards card. i hate asking if they want the charge. i ask, if they say no, i move on. end of discussion. but some of my cws push, and push, and push, which is why i'm lucky if i get one in a month, and some have 15+.

Comment

Daddy's 'girl' there needs a reality check. Wondering if she thought if she even got it from her dad or just was hoping if she fussed enough about it you'd cave.

I'm very fortunate that the closest I've ever had to a line problem in the store I work at was two overly polite customers arguing over who went first. I finally ended up going, "rock paper scissors for it!" before they'd stop insisting the other go first.
                            Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                            Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                            -Unknown Author

Comment

Working...
                            X