This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being unreasonable?

A couple of months ago I signed up for a training program for older workers. At the time I was getting two, sometimes three shifts a week at my job. The training program started ... we lost three people ... one was replaced (but I've found out he's not a sales associate, just a barista + cleanup person, which makes no sense but that's another story) so we are still shy 2 people. So my shifts have increased drastically.

Because of the training program I can only be put on closing shifts during the week. I am getting three and four closing shifts in a row. With the training program, that means three or four 13-hour days in a row. On most of those days I start at 4:15, the training program ends at 3:30, so I literally have to race from the program to work. On the occasional day when I start at 5, I can at least go home and have a semi-relaxed meal.

So I mentioned to my brother that I'm going to ask for fewer shifts. (Admittedly I did not give him all the details ...) He writes back, "Um, you're cutting back on your only paid employment?" Well ... yes. I'm finding three or four 13-hour days in a row a bit much. I also get a shift or two on weekends so I have barely enough time (or energy) to do the basic chores around the house. I don't plan to ask for deep cuts, just a cut of maybe one shift, so I have a break between those long days.

I haven't answered him mainly because he didn't actually ask a question. (Though I admit I'm regretting bringing up the issue at all.)

So ... am I being unreasonable?

What about asking about just coming in a little bit later so this way you don't have to rush from one place to the other? This way you don't lose whole shifts, just a few hours.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Not at all. Those are long days. Maybe ask if the shifts can be as much on days you do no training as possible?
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Greenday: I've thought about that. I'm not sure why the second closing person needs to come in at 4:15 in any case, as only on very rare occasions is it busy enough to need a third person, and the day person doesn't leave until 5. The only problem is, I still don't get home until 10 p.m. At least with one less shift, I will have one more day at which everything ends at 3:30 p.m. But it's worth a try. Possibly just not having to rush madly from one place to another will make a difference.

Mytical: That leaves Friday, Saturday and Sunday, LOL. But if I can get the late starts and they don't help, I will do that instead.

Thanks, guys.

Comment

How long does the training program run?

No, I don't think that's unreasonable either on your own behalf or as a request of management. Just wondering if we all send you the best possible vibes if you could stick it out for a while and have the best of both worlds...

Comment

Actually ... the training program runs until Oct. 1. Which means that VERY soon I must decide whether to continue with the training program or return to school. I will be posting a request for opinions on that in the very, very near future ...

Comment

Working...
            X