This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF virus?

So on the computer I'm currently typing this on, we seem to have been hit with malware/spyware/adware/trojan/SOMETHING of some kind.

The problem is that whenever we open ANY of our browsers (it's the family computer and everyone has their preference: Mum uses IE despite my efforts to get her to switch over, Dad uses Safari, sister and I both use Chrome), it opens up with Qvo6. Not sure where the hell it came from. Whenever we run a search, it comes up with Globeoso.

We have tried EVERYTHING so far that we can think of barring wiping the computer. I've put malwarebytes on there and used it: so far nothing out of the ordinary. Ditto for running a scan with our anti-virus.

The boyfriend has suggested wiping the computer, but I'm not sure my parents will take to that too kindly. Any suggestions in the meantime?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Have a friend make a copy of your virus checker of choice loaded onto a flash stick, use that to check your machine. Doing the check with the machine booted into Safe Mode might not actually help, but I can't see that it would hurt, either.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/958621

Comment

thanks sms001, any chance of getting hold of options for Chrome/IE/Safari?

Comment

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-qvo6-virus/

explains how to remove it and how it gets there to begin with and what it does.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-qvo6-virus/

explains how to remove it and how it gets there to begin with and what it does.
            Yeah I have a feeling I know where it comes from. Both my parents have this inane (and somewhat annoying) habit of downloading games and software from not-so-reliable sources. My sister and I have also been known to do the same but this didn't come from it.

I am introducing my mother to Steam as soon as possible

The backup plan is going to involve creating a backup of all files that are needed by my parents and doing a wipe, with a note about being careful what you download from. My mum is also known for using IE. Dad uses Safari and my sister and I are both chrome users.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              thanks sms001, any chance of getting hold of options for Chrome/IE/Safari?
              Browser specific tips are at the very bottom of the page. The bleepingcomputer link in the first reply has pretty detailed instructions for overall removal, although MWB's is probably as good.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                Mum uses IE despite my efforts to get her to switch over
                Just a thought to keep in mind, if you do have to reformat. Maybe just sort of forget to re-install IE? Make a shortcut that actually goes to Chrome and just label it IE and put the right icon on it and will she even notice the difference?
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  Just a thought to keep in mind, if you do have to reformat. Maybe just sort of forget to re-install IE? Make a shortcut that actually goes to Chrome and just label it IE and put the right icon on it and will she even notice the difference?
                  Windows gets ANGRY if you don't install it. I've tried it. So on my comp I've taken off all shortcuts to it and just have Firefox. In case anyone wants to use my computer, they won't know where to find IE unless they search it.

Comment

Working...
                  X