This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Dropped the Ball

So this is not quite a self-sighting, but a bit of suck relating to the red dot store I was yesterday. The sales floor team members were very helpful and tolerant of dealing with me.

I'd gone in to pick up Mario & Luigi Dream Team, which released yesterday. It wasn't on the shelf. I go to ask about it, and near as they could tell, it wasn't in their system.

I go, okay, and I do a quick check online. Sure enough, this store's supposed to have it in stock. They search again. Still not coming up in their system. They go in back and look. Can't find it.

I ask to speak to a manager, and while praising the Sales Floor guys, I do make it known that I'm a bit irked about the fact I came down to Target apparently for nothing.

Manager tries one more search. Turns out the sales floor reps were searching for "Mario and Luigi." The system had it in as "Mario & Luigi". Somehow the fact that & and "and" are pronounced the same way never came up with a link in their system, nevermind the fact that it should have been on shelves anyway.

I got my game, and they were helpful. Whoever was supposed to stock and make locations for a game that came out on Sunday dropped the ball.

I'm surprised that it's not under a different name. For instance "Mario Dream team" or something along those lines.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Computers can be surprisingly literal Tho, if they had thought to just type in "Mario," it probably would have shown up.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The problem with typing in just "Mario" is that there are a surprising amount of Mario products.

Comment

FWIW, there is a fairly commonly used tool that could have solved that problem. How common? It's been in use on ordinary home computers, in word processors, for decades - as part of every decent spellcheck system.

Have a look at this: Levenshtein Distance. The string "Mario and Luigi" has a distance of 3 from "Mario & Luigi", with two deletions and one replacement being required to get from one to the other. That should be close enough to trigger a suggestion.

Comment

If you run into this again, ask if they will do a very broad search, as in just typing in Mario. They will get a million results, but they will be categorized (electronics, toys, etc) so they can pick that category and find it more easily. I brought back a broken back massager that unfortunately no longer had a tag on it, and "back massager" didn't bring it up, but "massage" did.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Since you already looked it up online (I assume by smart phone), couldn't they look it up by UPC?
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The online thing didn't have the upc, and they were typing into their scanners.

Comment

Very true that "Mario" would return a lot of results, but, hopefully, a modern computer system would exclude any game that the store no longer carries/is on a system no longer being made by default. That should narrow it down to a page or two
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                  X