This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U-Pick Real Estate Agents

I was reading Yfandes encounter here and was going to post the following similar story on that thread but as I wrote it out it got long and I didn't want to seem like I was hijacking Yfandes thread so I made this one. Hope that's okay and I hope this is in the correct sub-forum.

<background>
    My mother's house sits on 2.5 acres and on the corner of two roads. The backyard actually borders the roads. She plants a HUGE garden every year back there ever since I was born. Everything from all American tomatoes and melons to southeast Asian plants like lemon grass and a type of Vietnamese banana tree called chuoi xiem. She even plants things she doesn't like to eat but does so because she likes to see if she can grow them. She gives away the unwanted stuff to family, friends and neighbors. My mom just likes to grow things.
    </background>

Well, a few years ago some Real Estate Agent was out in the area with clients or friends or fellow agents. We never found out exactly who they were but they were driving a marked company car for a Realtor. Anyhow, the idiots drove by, apparently saw my mother's garden and just stopped, got out of their car and just basically raped her garden. Picking everything they could, ripe or unripe and even so far as to uproot whole plants to take with them. They even knocked down one of the banana trees to get to the VERY unripe bananas. My younger brother happen to be home at the time said he heard mom scream bloody murder and saw her run out of the house with the broom (shes Vietnamese and 4'10" and is a master at broom-fu)(I'm not joking!).

The idiots first try to claim they thought her garden was wild and on public land, then try to say they thought it was abandon (ya like the mowed grass around it was wildly growing and abandon too, along with the water hose leading from the freaking house). After they realized their "mistake" instead of paying for damages, they wanted some of the stuff they helped themselves to! Claiming there was plenty for everybody! My mom got so angry that she reverted to Vietnamese and my brother had to translate....

Mom in Vietnamese: [censored due to fear of being banned from CS]
    Brother: She said that's not the point. You ruined her garden.
    Mom in Vietnamese: THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID! SAY WHAT I SAID!
    Brother: She said to leave now or she's calling the police.
    Mom in Vietnamese: THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID!
    Brother: She wants you to leave now.

In the end, the idiots left everything they took and drove off. My brother later told me they acted like it wasn't a big deal at what they had done and that mom refused to speak to him for the rest of the day.

Oh your poor mom! She must have been LIVID! And I bet those idiot realtors would never go to someones rose garden and cut all the flowers off. Well, maybe they would...

My friends have an allotment in a community garden. There was someone in an apartment nearby who thought that all the produce growing was free for the taking as well. What is it with people?

Comment

Quoth Yfandes View Post
      Oh your poor mom! She must have been LIVID! And I bet those idiot realtors would never go to someones rose garden and cut all the flowers off. Well, maybe they would...

My friends have an allotment in a community garden. There was someone in an apartment nearby who thought that all the produce growing was free for the taking as well. What is it with people?
      Well, that one I could almos understand, if it's a community garden. But even then, you'd think they'd at least ASK FIRST.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

As someone who owns a plot in a community garden, I would be very, very pissed-off and not at all understanding if someone tried to raid my plot (as weed-infested as it is at the moment, LOL): "YOU didn't plant it; YOU don't get to pick and eat it." It's that simple.

Quoth Yfandes View Post

*snip*
        Sure they would. They'd see it as a compliment to the gardener that "Your roses were just SOOOOOOO beautiful we wanted to take some home!"

Comment

What an awful thing to happen to your mom's garden. Those jerks had no right to destroy it like that. I know your brother was trying to keep the peace and protect your mom, so I hope your mom eases up on him a bit.

When I lived in my house in Phoenix, I did have someone steal the roses from my front garden. One day the bushes were full of colorful blooms, the next the flowers were gone and there were broken branches in their place. I have no idea who did it, but I was pretty P.O.ed as well. I can only imagine how livid your mom was over all her hard work ruined like that.

Did your mom and brother get the name on the car? Perhaps you could post what happened on public forums (including pictures of the ruined garden) and shame the company. Or maybe contact the company directly and tell them what happened. Either way, it looks horribly bad for the company.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Yfandes View Post
            Oh she was mad for days, but after cleaning up the mess the people (they were 3 women btw) made she calmed down. In the past we have had deer, raccoons, rabbits and what not go through her garden. My brother and I must have demolished half the garden every other summer until we were 15.

When I was 9 and my brother was 7 we thought it would be cool and "helpful" to build a moat around it. We didn't get every far but what we did build we filled with left over paint and oil from the garage then covered it with grass and leaves. Our mom "found" our little fortification the next morning by stepping in it

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Did your mom and brother get the name on the car? Perhaps you could post what happened on public forums (including pictures of the ruined garden) and shame the company. Or maybe contact the company directly and tell them what happened. Either way, it looks horribly bad for the company.
              My brother got the name of the company and plate number of the car, but mom didn't want to call and complain. She hates the hassle. She said she was going to redo some of the locations of the plants anyways plus most of the veggies and fruits they picked needed to be picked. The banana tree survived and only needed to be replanted and the unripe bananas were still good. Hardly anything was damage beyond repair. My mom has a very green thumb.

My brother however told me he did call the company (behind moms back) and told them what happened. He said they took his name and info and such but never heard from them again. He's not worried or mad and neither is mom so what's done is done. We've had worse things happen to us over the years.

My brother DID take mom out to dinner at her favorite restaurant later that week for not translating properly and mom DID cook him some of his favorite dishes to take to work for lunch to make up for using Broom Fu on him after the people left.

Comment

Quoth Yfandes View Post
                And I bet those idiot realtors would never go to someones rose garden and cut all the flowers off.
                Well, then they would risk drawing the wrath of The Beast.

What!?! You can't tell me no one else was thinking that.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Insomnia View Post
                  My brother however told me he did call the company (behind moms back) and told them what happened. He said they took his name and info and such but never heard from them again.
                  The company probably fired the idiots for making them look bad, if there's any justice in the world. Your brother did the right thing.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My mom likes to pretend she has a green thumb. One year she tried planting some daffodils, and they did actually bloom - until the neighbor's youngest got ahold of them. She'd pick off all the blooms and pile them on our front porch.

Looking back though, we should've called CPS about the neighbors. Thier two youngest (6 and 2) shared a crib in mom and dad's bedroom. No room in the other bedrooms either - 2 boys in the smallest room and 3 girls in the other. I never saw any of them ever wear shoes.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                      Well, then they would risk drawing the wrath of The Beast.

What!?! You can't tell me no one else was thinking that.

SC
                      Awww, you took mine.
                      Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

Working...
                      X