This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sc at the library

*I wasn't working the day this happened, I can only go by what I'd been told by co-workers*

This woman supposedly had returned ten DVDs that day, they had not been checked in, and she was apparently VERY upset about this - swore up and down that she "had" returned them, was ranting that we weren't doing our jobs....all this being directed towards whichever librarian was in charge that day.

However, about half an hour later, all ten of those DVDs mysteriously were returned in the bookdrop, and the customer never came back in to apologize or even say anything about it.

(this sort of thing is why I'm always doubtful when a customer insists that he or she returned a particular item, because you never really know.....)

something similar happened to my gf a few weeks ago. She had checked out a movie at the library for her niece, and turned it back in when it was due. Next time she went in, one of the workers told her that the movie was overdue and had not been turned in. It is important to note that the library only has 1 copy of this particular movie. My girlfriend's mother, who was with her at the time, went over to the shelf, found the supposed "missing" movie, and took it to the desk. It had evidently been re-shelved without being properly checked in.

Comment

@Kelly - hope there's a fine involved, and she can't check anything out 'til it's paid!

@Sterling - yeah, I've been in that situation too. Happened twice, where I went and found the books. Third time was a tape and I coughed up the replacement cost and never went back to that branch.

Comment

Quoth Sterlingbond View Post
        something similar happened to my gf a few weeks ago. She had checked out a movie at the library for her niece, and turned it back in when it was due. Next time she went in, one of the workers told her that the movie was overdue and had not been turned in. It is important to note that the library only has 1 copy of this particular movie. My girlfriend's mother, who was with her at the time, went over to the shelf, found the supposed "missing" movie, and took it to the desk. It had evidently been re-shelved without being properly checked in.
        I used to have that happen fairly regularly when I used video rental places. You know, when such things still existed
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          I used to have that happen fairly regularly when I used video rental places. You know, when such things still existed
          One right down the road from where I live... trying to get hubmonster to get a second job there, since he's seen nearly every movie ever made. Drives me nuts.

OK back on topic..

One time the boys decided they wanted their own library cards. Then they promptly checked out separate copies of the same book. When we turned them in, they said we were short a book, the one that they both checked out. Took a few tries for them to realize they shelved both books and only checked in one.

Comment

Exact same thing happened to me twice; the clerk was pretty snotty both times when telling me I hadn't turned itin , which turned to chagrin and dismay and embarrassment, when I produced said movie from their shelves. No apology, though.
            Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Let's not turn this into a thread about sucky librarians, hmm? If you want one of those, go to Sightings. This forum is sucky customers.

My library has a self-check-in station. While it's great for those of us who are honest (we can KNOW that our book has been recorded as returned), I hate to think how many people swipe their stuff then don't put it in the drop slot.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                This forum is sucky customers.
                And am eagerly awaiting to hear if there's a karmic smack-down fine on SC in Kelly's post.

Good thing about our local system - you can't do ANY reserving or interlibrary loan stuff on line if you have even a ten cent fine pending. Makes people cough up quick, I bet.

Comment

My girlfriend's mother, who was with her at the time, went over to the shelf, found the supposed "missing" movie, and took it to the desk. It had evidently been re-shelved without being properly checked in.
                  I've had that happen three or four times at my library. Fortunately, I monitor the status online, so I've always noticed this before the due date.

Comment

Working...
                  X