This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breakfast ideas...

So morning classes...I KNOW I signed up for them willingly, and I already know I'm gonna need caffeine intravenously, but I need food to get my brain further in gear.

3 days a week I have 8am classes, and don't want to come home late to a kitchen full of breakfast dishes (beyond plate/bowl, fork/spoon, and cup).

Mom suggested her famous French toast (eggs, milk, nutmeg) made with some of my homemade French bread. make up a big batch and freeze it, so I just pull out a couple in the morning and boom instant breakfast.

any other suggestions? no dietary restrictions, needs to be something made in "large" quantities to freeze and just reheat on demand in toaster oven or microwave.

Assume I have most basic baking/cooking ingredients.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

My sister's Night-Before-Breakfast burritos: Scrambled eggs, cheese, your meat of choice (I like either ground beef the way you'd make it normally for taco night or chopped up pieces of ham), and whatever else you want to throw in there. I like tomatoes, sour cream, and a tiiiiny bit of my mom's peach-habanero salsa. Assemble, wrap in foil, and store in the fridge.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

would you believe...I don't know how to make scrambled egg?
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

It's very easy. The way I make them is, crack a couple eggs into a small glass, swirl them around (roughly) until the yolk is well-dispersed, and pour into (greased? Oiled? Buttered? Whatever you do) pan.

If you need to, use the spatula to "cut" the egg, and just push the bits around until they're done, flipping every so often.

This is how I do it. It's not professional. :P
        Last edited by Tama; 08-15-2013, 12:11 AM.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

so like an omelet but break it up instead of just letting it cook in one piece?

ok...now I feel silly...

I don't eat a lot of eggs, straight eggs upset my stomach, but if they are in something (cake, cookies, brushed over bread etc) I'm fine...its weird.

Comment

That's how it appeared to me when I was told how to cook eggs, so yeah. You'll end up with a little of a "mess" but they are SCRAMBLED eggs after all.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I like to make a double batch of belgian waffles and freeze in a round container or wrapped in foil. They can go in the toaster oven and won't get soggy like with the microwave. The best way to do it is to separate the eggs, add the yolks to the liquid ingredients, and whip the whites to stiff peaks. Then, after you mix up the batter, fold the whites in. This makes the crispest, lightest waffles. It takes me a while to bake all those waffles, but a quick, good breakfast is worth it.

You can also make a pan of scrambled eggs and refrigerate for the week. If you reheat on medium power in the mic, they don't go all rubbery. The easiest way is to blend a dozen with a bit of milk, pour into a cake pan (greased), and bake at 400° F until set. You can let cool and cut into squares, one for each breakfast sandwhich. I often make biscuits for that, or buy a flat of croissants. Those freeze very well. I slice them first, then freeze. When I need a sammich, I toast the croissant in the toaster oven and heat the egg in the microwave.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Easy as easy can be, and very healthy: fruit.

I've mentioned it in here a few times, but I'll reiterate it here, as it seems very relevant: for the last year, I've been having a bowl of fruit just about every morning for breakfast. It's easy to do (see below), it's healthier than a lot of other breakfasts, and the benefits can be pretty impressive. For myself, in the last year since I started doing this, I have only gotten sick once (and that once only after pushing my body to the point of my immune system saying, "Okay, fuck you, you're in your own, genius!"), including not getting sick one time when something was going around work and everyone else WAS getting sick, plus I feel better in general, and, with absolutely no other significant changes to my diet, my cholesterol has dropped by a THIRD.

And as I mentioned above, it's easy as all get out. No cooking involved, and little to no prep. Many grocery stores sell prepackaged bowls of cut up fruit, medleys or single fruit bowls. I take advantage of these from my local Publix, indulging myself in watermelon, or a medley of watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, grapes, strawberries, and pineapple, or a berry medley of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries, this last of which I add vanilla yogurt to. Or you can be less lazy than me and buy whatever fruits strike your fancy, and chop them up and portion them into takeaway containers for easy transport. Myself, I usually go the prepackaged route, but occasionally I'll buy some kind of new fruit and do it myself. Recently tried a sugar kiss melon, and it was awesome, though huge--it made four portions! And the portion size is of course up to you...mine tend to be right around a pound each, which is not nearly as large as it sounds. And the great thing is, whether you buy it prepackaged or do it yourself, you can easily have a week's worth of breakfast in your fridge ready to go, with either no prep or, at most, an hour of prep as you chop up and portion everything.

(While I've been typing this, I've been munching on one of the grape/pineapple/melon bowls. Delicious!)

Of course, it helps if you like fruit. I happen to love fruit, so that makes this so much easier.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I posted a while back about the breakfast burritos that I make. You can leave eggs out altogether if you have problems with them. Makes a great grab, nuke, n go breakfast.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I like plain yogurt with sliced almonds and a drizzle of honey.
                    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Make some biscuits and fry up some sausage patties. Split the biscuits in half and put the sausage in. Instant breakfast sandwich! You can use cheese, too, and a scrambled egg. You could easily freeze these and then nuke them in the morning. Or do it without the biscuits and use English muffins instead.

Comment

You can buy those frozen, too, but they are more expensive. You can buy biscuit pucks frozen, if you want to bake them, but not make dough.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                        X