Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 80s may be coming back. How do we meet this threat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 80s may be coming back. How do we meet this threat?

Ladies and gentlemen, I've called you to this thread today to discuss a grave threat to our nation's standards of fashion and aesthetics. Yes, as we have long feared, it appears that the 1980's may, indeed, be coming back.

I base this statement on three separate sightings on a local college campus. The first was a young man wearing parachute pants, one leg of which was checkered in black and white, and the other of which had vertical black and white stripes. This young man had an expensive haircut and was visibly homosexual. He gave off shades of hipster, but did not appear to be wearing the pants ironically. He seemed to actually believe they looked good.

The second sighting was of a young black woman wearing acid-washed jeans. Like the young man, she too had an expensive haircut, and was wearing expensive jewelry and a nice blouse. The jeans were not worn ironically, and she gave off not even the merest whiff of hipster. She too apparently believed the jeans looked stylish.

The third sighting concerned an outbreak of women's flats in neon colors, following, quite literally, in the footsteps of the unfortunate trend of neon colors in men's shoes. The last time shoes like this were seen, it was on the late 80's/early 90's television show Saved by the Bell.

This can only mean that the infection has spread far faster and more widely than even our worst long-range forecasts predicted. We've had reports of 80's fashions sighted in New York and Los Angeles, as expected, but to see them in a remote corner of Appalachia this early may mean that the battle is already lost. We may be seeing the start of a global pandemic, and it may only be a matter of time before we see the return of big hair, feathered bangs, mullets, and a re-infiltration of shoulder pads into women's fashion. Our gravest fear is the return of the fanny pack.

But, my friends, is all hope lost? I say no! I say we can stand and fight! Together, we can face this threat and quash it! But we must plan, and we must strategize. We faced the return of the 70's, and endured years of bell bottomed jeans, but we overcame. We have faced the rise of the hipsters and the deluge of irony, but we are overcoming. Surely we can meet this new threat head-on.

But how, ladies and gentlemen? How?
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Rush in the 90's fashion. That's what I'm doing to battle the comeback of the 80's

Comment

I too, would like to know how we can combat this. A friend of mine from SC posted a picture of some men's shorts she spotted shopping this weekend. Pastel pinks and blues. Just horrible.
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Reminds me of a conversation I once had with a younger coworker. She was deriding everything about the 80s, the music, movies and fashion. Me being a child of the 80s, of course I was on the defensive.

CW: And those clothes! Neon, acid wash, what were you thinking?
        ME: Say what you want about the 80s fashions, but at least our pants covered our butts!
        NEARBY CUSTOMER:

So yeah, if a return to 80s fashion means the final death knoll of the pants-around-the-ass craze, welcome back!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          So yeah, if a return to 80s fashion means the final death knoll of the pants-around-the-ass craze, welcome back!
          And finding jeans that actually cover the rear rather then being those hard as hell to wear low riders?

Comment

*spontaneously grows an epic mullet by sheer force of will*

Coooooooooommmmmmmmmme------ joooooooin uuuuuuuuusssssssss...
            Last edited by EricKei; 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What about "fountain heads"? That's what my sisters and I called the 80's trend of teen girls getting their hair curled and pulling them up into a ponytail that was more or less on the top of their heads.

As for neon, it's a big trend right now. Even in beads. I shop for beads online and there's a lot of neon ones now.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

STOP IT BEFORE IT GETS TO THE CHILDREN!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

The parachute pants I can deal with, it's the damn leg warmers I never could understand.

For someone like me with large calves and no ankles to speak of, those only made them look 100% larger!

Still have an early 80's electric typerwriter, my 70's Fisher stereo system and am dusting off my old stories to finish up finally (and they take place around 1982-1984.)

For some of us, the 80's never completely left.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Oh gosh, yeah. This has been creeping in. Block colors have been back for a while and I have friends going berserk over harem pants, which are an abomination. Parachute pants are kind of a subset of harem pants, but the other kind are worse. If you're not sure what these are, do a quick google image search and don't say I didn't warn you. They are baggy to the knee where they suddenly hug close like leggings the rest of the way down. Seriously, the crotch hangs to the knees in some cases.

I was kind of evil when I store I "like" on Facebook posted a pic of them and asked for opinions. I said I couldn't see any use for them unless someone wanted to give birth and keep walking.

I've been seeing more blue eyeshadow, but not quite in the "icing on a cake" thickness from that era. Denim jackets are on the rise. Thankfully I haven't been seeing massive hairdos.
                      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Sorry jester...my bebe and her friends are already fans of neon and such. Its hard for me because i didnt like that crap the first time around!! I do miss low rise pants but thats because, for once, my jeans fit off the rack!! Damn short genes

Comment

I have personally seen horrid neon colors, those off-the-shoulder shirts (in neon colors), giant earrings, side ponytails on people older than 10, and a couple of flat-tops. No leg warmers, tight-rolled jeans or wet-look moussed hair though, thank God. The Claw bangs haven't been seen either except in certain locations where it never really seemed to go away.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Phew. Over here, the only '80s fad is the return of basketball shoes (which I think are cool - just got a pair for Lil' Zel).

Otherwise, I surely don't hope that claw bangs and/or adult bodystockings get a revival. *shudder*
                            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I wondered if I was seeing ghosts. I saw 2 mullets within 24 hours! Aaaaa
                              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                              X