Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Lantean Moderator

Ok, so they had replaced a motor mount and pretty much the entire exhaust system aside fom the muffler (which was just replaced by my regular mechanic on the fist trip in for this problem). Now they are saying the sound is from the front control arm bushings (on the side regular mechanic didn't touch). They said the bushing are "blown out."

Ok.....so how did you guys miss that the first time? And does this mean that the $1800 i just gave you to "fix" it was a waste?? (Other $200 was for the oil leak). Nothing about any of this adds up. Someone somewhere is lying/has lied to me.

RIP Plaidman.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 AM
Socially Unacceptable

Ask them to put your old parts back in since they obviously weren't the problem and 'yes, you can do that free of charge since you don't know what you're doing.' I'll pay for the repairs that actually fix the problem.

yeah...it probably wouldn't work, but if you make a stink when there is a line of people they may work with you.

But then I guess you risk being labelled a SC even though they're at fault.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
I've had clutches replaced in 2 of the 3 vehicles I've owned.

Roughly a year ago, the Peterbilt of Natural Selection lunched its clutch - wouldn't disengage fully. That was fun - with 40,000 pounds in the box, I had to float the gears, match revs in order to shift into neutral for a stop, and a sharp pull into "granny low" (only gear that wouldn't grind) to get started.
I had the same thing happen to a 84 Toyoda Tercel. The link between the shifter lever and the manual tranny was a cable. One night the cable broke. I could not get to the junk yard for another 2 days. I also did the whole routine of matching rev's when up/down shifting and had to stop the engine, put the shifter into 1st gear and restart the engine in 1st gear at stoplight (or rev the engine and get the gears to sync enough to let me take off from the light).

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Soda slinger

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
I've had clutches replaced in 2 of the 3 vehicles I've owned.

My first car had something go wrong with the bearings in the transmission, and the engine and transmission had to be separated in order to fix it. Since that's 90% of the labour of a clutch job, and the car was over 10 years old at the time, I figured it was "penny wise and pound foolish" to reassemble it with the old clutch plate.

Roughly a year ago, the Peterbilt of Natural Selection lunched its clutch - wouldn't disengage fully. That was fun - with 40,000 pounds in the box, I had to float the gears, match revs in order to shift into neutral for a stop, and a sharp pull into "granny low" (only gear that wouldn't grind) to get started.
Here's a fun clutch failure. Years and years ago i had a Samurai, and i'm sitting at a traffic light. When the light went green, i took my foot off the pedal... and it stayed there. I was lucky enough to get a push from a cop up the street to my mechanic who found that a fin from the clutch had broken off and lodged between it and the housing. I swear, i only have weird failures.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth raudf View Post
That sounds kinda like the noise my car made when my struts started going. It didn't always happen at first, unless you were making hard turns or hitting really nasty bumps, which made getting it fixed a bit difficult at first.
I went through quite a bit of that when I had my Mazda. I had a Protege ES, which had a slightly different suspension than the lesser DX and LX. Whenever I'd go over bumps, no matter how slowly I went over them...the entire front end sounded like it was going to come off

After multiple attempts at Don Allen Chevy (which also sold Mazdas...but is now gone so I can mention them. Those idiots seemed to think that internal combustion was magic...), I had nearly everything suspension related replaced under warranty. The noise would go away for a few months, but would suddenly come back. Again, the car would go in for service, various parts were replaced, and all was good for a bit. Then the warranty ran out, and it happened *again.*

This time, I was pissed. Not because I had to pay for it...but because the dealer couldn't fix the damn problem! To piss me off further, they didn't bother calling me at all during the day. Instead, I had to walk my ass to the dealer. Imagine my surprise when they told me that the car was in bits (entire front suspension was on the ground), and they "didn't have the time" to finish it. Uh, I dropped the car off at 7am--you had an *entire day* to mess with it. What the hell where they doing all that time?

I was furious, mostly because they wasted my time. I was also furious, because I now had no way to get home...or even to work the following morning! I had to rent a car out of my own pocket. So I flipped out on the manager. Told him that I wasn't coming back, and wasn't going to accept his offer of a free oil change or two.

Oddly enough, that was the last time I was in there. Instead of having them fit the stock struts...I went with uprated items that time. Seems that the original types simply weren't up to the job. The noise and resulting annoyance went away. Why the dealer didn't do that in the first place, I'll never know!

Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Haz Bad Attitude!

I'm pretty lucky that I must go to a really good GM dealership where I personally know most of the guys who work there. Of course they'll overcharge the hell out of a person, but the other mechanics around here just can't get you the parts you need as quickly.

I don't enjoy spending that much money, mind, but I have no other option without a backup vechile

Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Squishyware engineer

Quote:
Quoth protege View Post
Why the dealer didn't do that in the first place, I'll never know!
Because he was getting paid to do it by the auto company. No incentive to prevent a repeat visit.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
the Peterbilt of Natural Selection .
I'm not sure why this struck me as so funny, but I laughed really hard when I read this. It has to be one of the funniest truck nicknames I've ever heard.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth mathnerd View Post
I'm not sure why this struck me as so funny, but I laughed really hard when I read this. It has to be one of the funniest truck nicknames I've ever heard.
The name derives from the same root as the Darwin Awards - if you've seen how 4-wheelers drive around big rigs, despite the consequences in the event of a collision, you'd know why I chose it.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
The name derives from the same root as the Darwin Awards - if you've seen how 4-wheelers drive around big rigs, despite the consequences in the event of a collision, you'd know why I chose it.
I've ridden along with an OTR driver and those experiences are probably why it struck me as so funny, though we'd have to call his truck the Kenworth of Natural Selection. While I've seen some remarkably stupid stuff while driving my own car, it pales to what I saw while he was driving his truck. I'm honestly surprised how often y'all come so very close to accidents due to the idiotic 4-wheelers on the road.

Last edited by mathnerd; 09-01-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Closed Thread