This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there a jerk convention?

Friday I had one of those nights About midnight a guest calls down and said his TV won't come on either with remote or on the TV. He's in a mini-suite that has 2 TVs, the other one was working. He wants to move rooms, I tell him we are sold out. He wants me to bring him a TV from a vacant room, again I tell him we are sold out so I don't have a vacant room. He then decides we have knowingly put him in a room with a bad TV. I again apologize and offer him a 10% discount, he shoots that down and complains more and is just being an over the top jerk. So I offer him 20% off which is about $40. He says "I know you can do better then that, I'll just talk to the manager in the morning". He went through the same routine with morning clerk and since there was not a manager there he said he would call back on Monday. My manager is good about backing us up, so this guy will just have to learn to be happy with his $40.
    Then I go through several hours of people wanting a room and being complete asses when told I didn't have any.
    About 3:30 this guy comes down the stairs and before he even gets to the desk he says "you have my credit card". I kind of look at him blankly and he says "I used my credit card to check in and now I don't have it, so you have it" I check the cash drawer to see if someone had put a credit card in there and checked the lost and found can't find anything, he insist we kept his credit card. I suggest that maybe he check and see if he accidentally slipped it in his key card envelope(I've seen people do that a lot) He heads up the stairs to check but very rudely tells me to keep looking. 10 mins later he comes back down to get his cab to the airport and he's all smiles and tells me I was right that's were it was. No apology for being an asshole to me for his screw up.
    At 4:30 I go to set up breakfast, I had unlocked the yogurt fridge and set out the fruit. This guy comes down and ask if breakfast is included in his room. I tell him it is and that it starts at 6. He then sits down in the breakfast area and watches me set up the entire breakfast like he's watching a play. Every time I set something out he would go get some of it. I'm sure he was full by 6.
    15 minutes before my shift from hell is about to end this elderly couple comes to check out and is upset that we authorized their credit card when they told the check in clerk they wanted to pay cash. It was a debit card and they didn't want their money tied up. They didn't want to leave it on their card and keep the cash and went on and on about how it was against the law for us to require a credit card to check in. I started to explain that it wasn't and why we do it, but then thought screw it, let them think that. So I try to call their bank and see if I can get the authorization removed from their card and get the phone run around from hell where you can't ever talk to a human. I finally do get a human and she gives me a different number that I need to call for that. I call that number and there is a recording saying they are only there Monday thru Friday 9-5. This is of course Saturday morning. That old man was so pissed I thought he was either going to jump over the counter and beat me or have a heart attack or both. I finally said I would check them out of our computer, but different banks take different amounts of time to return it do their card. There were going to go across the street to check their bank balance and I went home to eat lots of sugar.
    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Nah, they were overstocked at the jerk store. They sent the surplus over to you.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I hate that "did you give me back my card?" "did you give me my receipt?" yes I did, and just beacuse YOU dropped it into the deep recesses of your purse, and now can't find it, does not mean I have it.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
        I hate that "did you give me back my card?" "did you give me my receipt?" yes I did, and just beacuse YOU dropped it into the deep recesses of your purse, and now can't find it, does not mean I have it.
        Yes this is exactly why I never touch a card unless I absolutely have to. Rarely do where I work as I ask everyone to insert their own card and remove it when the transaction is through.

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
          Yes this is exactly why I never touch a card unless I absolutely have to. Rarely do where I work as I ask everyone to insert their own card and remove it when the transaction is through.
          Amen to that. And even if you never touched the card, you'd get SCs eyeballing you and asking where their card was, because they'd misplace it the moment they scanned it themselves. On those rare occasions when I had to handle the card, I took great care to keep it in full view of the customer and especially the cameras.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That's why I always make a point of A) giving them back things as soon as I'm done with them and B) saying I'm giving them back. Seems to work pretty well, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Comment

I try to always give it back to the customer at the same exact point in the transaction. And like Comechatcha, I say: "Here is your driver's license back." "Here is your credit card back."

If the person questions, I can say, "Remember me saying: 'Here is your license back'?" Listen, this is a routine I do 100 times a day, for over 15 years. I didn't lose it.
              To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
              To pursue it with forks and hope;
              To threaten its life with a railway share;
              To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Our systems are set up so that it is im-poss-ible for people to get their tickets without them removing their own cards. How many times have I had people come back & bitch that I must have their cards, despite the fact I have no reason or even possibility to touch their cards?

It's a non-zero number, which says enough.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                X