This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to have destroyed your only memory of England

but you should've been paying attention.

This happened yesterday afternoon. Woman brings in a watch with a dead battery to the jewelry counter. It's been described to me as a cheap, tacky, fuck-ugly Swatch watch with a red and yellow band.

Woman asks the girl at the jewelry counter to change the battery. She agrees. Clearance swamp policy is we only replace batteries on watches that were purchased from us. We don't sell the Swatch brand, and haven't in several years, if we ever did at all. And the woman mentions she got it in England, where the clearance swamp currently has all of zero physical locations.

So the jewelry girl made a mistake. She can be forgiven though; she's a fairly new employee, this policy was never mentioned to her, and as far as she's been trained, we don't kiss the customer's ass; we toss their salad. Rather, the woman should've known not to ask us to change the watch's battery, because there's a big sign sitting on the jewelry counter that says we only change batteries in watches purchased from us.

Anyhow, jewelry girl tries to remove the back of the watch to install the new battery. Meanwhile the woman zones out and examines items in and around the jewelry counter. Or something. Jewelry girl breaks the watch because she's trying to pry the back off, when instead there are screws to be loosened. Or something. She meekly tells the woman she has broken the watch.

Woman absolutely loses it. "OMG, HDU, this watch is my only memory of England, I'll have your job for this, I want to speak to your manager! And the store manager!"

Jewelry girl is in tears. She's afraid she's about to lose her job over some hag's chintzy Swatch watch. The manager on duty comes over, smooths things over with the woman, and tells her store manager will be in today if she wishes to speak to him further about her watch. Woman leaves.

In a happy surprise, woman calls the store later, asks to speak to jewelry girl, and apologizes for the way she acted in the store.
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 09-02-2013, 12:07 AM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Yup, Swatches do not cope well with batteries being replaced as the bits of plastic that hold the battery cover on tend to snap off if you so much as look at them sideways.

My God, though, what a whiny brat. Bet she could buy the same watch online for about the same (or less) money. At least she had the decency to apologise, but still...
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Woman absolutely loses it. "OMG, HDU, this watch is my only memory of England,
      You didn't think to take photographs?
      I'll have your job for this!"
      Madam, you're more than welcome to work my job, but I doubt you could handle it.

That brings back memories of the Drug Store From Hell, around 1989.

We sold watch batteries, and the policy was that we were NOT supposed to replace them at all. Old woman wants a new battery for her watch.

ME: Just to let you know, we are not supposed to replace the battery for you, we can only sell the battery.
      SC: OK.

So I sold her the battery and handed it to her. She looks at it like I was handing her a cockroach and says,
      SC: What am I supposed to do with this, eat it?!
      ME: Ma'am, I told you we aren't supposed to replace watch batteries.
      SC: Get me your manager!

Manager with Spine of Noodle comes down, immediately caves, makes me replace the battery, I had to endure abuse from both the SC and the Manager. This same manager was the one who told me that we WERE NOT supposed to change watch batteries.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

So the jewelry girl made a mistake. She can be forgiven though; she's a fairly new employee, this policy was never mentioned to her, and as far as she's been trained, we don't kiss the customer's ass; we toss their salad. Rather, the woman should've known not to ask us to change the watch's battery, because there's a big sign sitting on the jewelry counter that says we only change batteries in watches purchased from us.
        Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure the new hire made a mistake, but even if she wasn't told about the policy there is, as you said, a big sign sitting on her counter about it. I can see the SC being a dumbass for not noticing it, but an employee who is actually working the counter?

At least the SC apologized, that in itself is a miracle!

Comment

It's possible she's never even noticed it.

We don't have a dedicated person behind the counter. It's just whoever shows up when the call button goes off.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Well, that explains it. People get all pissy at us because we don't replace them, either.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Well, that explains it. People get all pissy at us because we don't replace them, either.
              Ditto for Macy's....not sure what the policy might be now, but when I worked there, the only thing we were "allowed" to do with watches was re-size the bands, anything else had to be referred to one of the jewelry stores in the mall.

Comment

Synchronize Swatches!

Comment

Wait...SWATCHES? o_O The fad-tastic, cheap little all-but-disposable $15 watches with the plastic bands that they used to sell on airplanes/in terminals? Those damn things? Sheesh. If one of those died on me, I'm not sure I would have even bothered trying to replace the battery >_<
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                    I bought a Swatch in 1990...when the battery died I couldn't figure out how to get at it to replace it. So it sat in a box for years, until I finally tossed the box. I still wonder how the hell I thought it was such a cool thing to have because it was fugly! But I was all of 17 when I got it so what did I know?
                    1990 eh? I thought those things went out of style by 1985. I'd always wanted one, but my parents said the same thing....butt fugly!

Comment

I had one sometime in the 80s... but I've never been one to favor analog clock faces. Pretty much everything after that was a Casio in the last 20 years.
                      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                      And it's not what I wanted to be
                      The weight on me
                      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                        1990 eh? I thought those things went out of style by 1985. I'd always wanted one, but my parents said the same thing....butt fugly!
                        Heard the same thing from my Mom . . . I didn't have one, as they were fairly pricey by early 80's standards. Had to have a new pair of Nikes every school year though . . . and Lee jeans.

But then most of the ones I saw kids in high school wearing were pretty stupid looking. Especially those who wore 3 or more on one wrist . . . what was that all about? One for each time zone?
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

With an allergy to metal, they are the only watches I can reliably wear that don't give me weeping sores all over my wrist. There are some quite attractive designs out there now (and leather bands are much better than plastic ones!).
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                          X