This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring bookmarks

I may be getting a new computer (knocks wood). I have a lot of bookmarks on this one, and they're all arranged into folders. Is there a way to transfer them over without having to open each individual one and copy it?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

What OS and browser are you running? What are you getting?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

yes.. look for a folder on your computer (via the search function on the file explorer) called 'favorites'.

They should be there. It may be that you can't find them depending on which version you have.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I know where my bookmarks are. I was wondering if there was a way to copy them en masse onto a flash drive to put them on a new computer or if I had to copy the addresses one at a time.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Basic and Internet Explorer 9.
        My LiveJournal

Comment

Windows has tools to help transfer all you files to a new PC.
          http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ngs-another-pc

To just grab the bookmarks, open Windows Explorer, go to:
          C:\Users\[username]
          You will see the Favorites folder. Copy and paste the folder to your flash drive.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

IE should have an entry under File... called something like Import and Export. Hit that and choose Export, then select Bookmarks and whatever else you need.

Alternatively, they all live in a folder that can simply be copied over to a new comp.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              IE should have an entry under File... called something like Import and Export. Hit that and choose Export, then select Bookmarks and whatever else you need.

Alternatively, they all live in a folder that can simply be copied over to a new comp.
              Thank you! I knew there had to be a way to do that easily.
              My LiveJournal

Comment

No problemo. I knew FF had that option (it just stores them all in an HTML document called bookmarks.htm -- easier to transfer but a PAIN to edit outside of FF itself). I guess IE added the ability in the years since I last used it regularly ;o I use to just copy the folder over (each bookmark is its own html shortcut/file)
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Can also export cookies the same way.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                  X