This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone play Diablo III?

I'm a big Diablo II fan, but haven't played much lately. I'm thinking about D3 and was wondering what folks thought of the game?
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Used to. I really enjoyed it. Good voice acting for a game, appropriately epic storyline, twisted sense of humor, and it is unquestionably exactly what you bought D2 for, just more of it and somewhat prettier. Note that, unless something has changed, you must be online even for the single-player campaign. Rampaging through with 3 buddies is a blast, tho ^_^

...But the bloom kinda came off the rose for me after the second time my account got hacked (the first time was *before I actually had any games tied to the account* -- Blizzard is quite popular with ze hackerz/goldsellers). Note that, unless you buy their security USB dongle, any such events are simply assumed to be your fault, and 3 of them equals terminated account (they wouldn't even check the IP addresses for the fake logins, and nobody at my house at the time would have had access to the comp/Blizzard account, both passworded); fair warning here ... On a service that uses non-case-sensitive passwords on login.

But I may be a tad bitter. Just a tad.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Let me put it this way.

After I finished Diablo 3, all I could think of was that I'd rather be playing through Diablo 2.

I stuck around long enough to make back what I spent on the game via the RMAH, and then quit.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I've tried... oh dear FSM, I've tried.

I played D1 and D11 to death, still do. But D111, because of the online-only component, is painful. I live in the boonies and our internet connectivity can be a tad flaky. I'm on ADSL2, running a wireless home network (with a multi-channel router specifically for gaming) and it still cuts out/slows down/sticks all the time. Most of the time I can't even get the connection speed up high enough to play at all.

Guess I'm gonna have to wait till our mythical Broadband Network becomes a reality.

Comment

I just picked Diablo III back up again recently. I've never completed the game, and I tend to play for a quest or dungeon at a time before moving on to FFXIV or Skyrim (my 2 games of choice at the moment). I'm on the side of it's quite enjoyable. I'm somewhat of a gamer wuss (I tend to play for story, not challenge, and am fond of the "easy/casual" setting on most games) and found D2 kind of hard, though at the time I wasn't as experienced with games as I am now, so D3 seems a bit easier.

It's annoying when your internet hiccups and boots you in the middle of a game; that's the biggest downfall of D3 in my opinion. I don't tend to play multiplayer and I don't like my single-player mode being dependent on an internet connection. But it's a minor flaw for me as I have reasonably reliable internet. And my copy was free because I committed to WoW for a year a while back so I really didn't lose anything.

There is an expansion coming out soon. If you haven't been talked out of it and can find the game cheap somewhere, go for it. Though my google-fu is telling me it's still going for anywhere from $40 to $60, so it's up to you if you think the game is worth that much. Maybe wait till the expansion comes out and see if they release a box set with the main game + expansion?

Comment

Never picked up D3. I ended up going with Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile instead.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I got D3 for free on a promotional thing by Blizzard. It's still sitting on my account unused, mainly due to the utter dependance on the auction houses to get anywhere. Good news though! That dependance is being nearly nullified. You just have to pay more for the expansion pack to do so...

Yeah, good reason why it's sitting there.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That is not true and I seriously wish people would stop perpetuating that myth.

I have gotten more than one character right through the game and completed it on inferno setting without buying a SINGLE item off the auction house and without buying gold off there either. It is PERFECTLY viable to do it under your own steam, but it does require patience since it may take a number of tries to get items with the right stat blend.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  Torchlight 2
                  Dear lord I got that game over the summer and I LOVE IT.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Dear lord I got that game over the summer and I LOVE IT.
                    If you liked Torch2, take a look at Path of Exile. I'm doing just fine solo, but I do play multiplayer now and then. Great skill tree and loads of gear.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I played PoE for a while, it was nice, but the absence of currency was really annoying. I didn't see the necessity of causing such confusion to newer players with the barter system.

Comment

I guess I'm the opposite. I don't mind the barter system, because I get tired of the constant "must get more MONEY!!!!" mentality in other games. And since the currency items can be used to improve your gear, there's at least multiple ways to get better gear.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                          It is PERFECTLY viable to do it under your own steam, but it does require patience since it may take a number of tries to get items with the right stat blend.
                          Or have friends to trade stuff around with.

I enjoy it, and I definitely got my money's worth, but I don't really enjoy the single player anymore. I play with a couple of friends in the same room, and it's tonnes of fun, and I play with people I know on the phone, but I don't really enjoy play with strangers, and I don't really like playing with friends if we can't talk.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                            That is not true and I seriously wish people would stop perpetuating that myth.

I have gotten more than one character right through the game and completed it on inferno setting without buying a SINGLE item off the auction house and without buying gold off there either. It is PERFECTLY viable to do it under your own steam, but it does require patience since it may take a number of tries to get items with the right stat blend.
                            Sorry, but when Blizzard openly admits to lowering the global drop rate specifically because of the auction house and raised it and modified the drop rates and types on the console ports (and not on the PC version) BECAUSE there's no AH in them then I'm not "perpetuating a myth", I'm stating a fact.

So yes, good for you for not using the AH. One data point does not a statistic make.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm simply saying that using the Auction House is a choice. No one is forced to use it by ANY means, plus I refuse to believe that it "ruined the game" since other players have no impact on my personal gameplay, which I personally have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the game.

I also know numerous other people that refused to use the Auction House, in fact there is an entire website set up for people that want to do runs without relying on the auctionhouse where people can gift equipment to help and request help in kind, or organise runs.
                              Violets are blue,
                              Roses are red,
                              I bequeath to thee...
                              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                              X