This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineer Thinks He's A Mechanic, Ends Up Owning Himself

Another amusing tale from my old Chevy dealer.

One of the business accounts our Chevy store had was with Raytheon. We serviced several of their company vehicles, and many of its employees had their personal vehicles serviced by us as well. Which brings us to this story.

One day as I was returning from lunch, I was greeted by an odd sight. A clean, low-mileage early 90's Corvette ZR-1 with its entire engine induction system missing and several wires and hoses undone. The ZR-1 from that era was / is the ultimate incarnation of the fourth-generation ( 1985-1996 ) Corvette, with a really exotic ( for the time ) powerplant. While standard C4 Corvettes made do with a 5.7 liter, two-valve-per-cylinder, Tuned Port Injection V8 ( called the L98 and the LT1 ) making between 250 and 300 horsepower, those ZR-1s used a four-cam, 32-valve, superlight alloy, 385 / 405 horsepower monster ( called the LT5 ) designed jointly by General Motors and Lotus, and hand-assembled by Mercury Marine. This engine features tricks like a dual-tract intake system for optimizing both low-speed torque and top-end horsepower, and a clever "valet" system allowing the owner to manually shut off half the injectors, reducing power output. All very exotic stuff for the 1990s, especially on a semi mass-produced American car. Its rear body was also a full 7 inches wider than a standard C4 Vette to make room for massive steamroller tires in hopes of getting that beast to hook up.

As one might expect, this rare and exotic powerplant required special tools, equipment, and training to properly service and repair. This fact was lost on Mr. Know It All Engineer, who had no business messing with it. Apparently he got in over his head and had the car towed into our shop to fix his fuckup.

If that wasn't bad enough, the guy was an arrogant prick. He talked down to the service writer, mechanic, and even the service manager like they were all idiots. He bragged that he could easily fix the car himself, but he had an "executive position" ( making sure to emphasize those two words ) that left him little time to bother himself with such things ( those were his words ) .

I don't know how much they charged him to put that mess back together. I don't even know why he took it apart in the first place.
    Last edited by GreaseMonkey; 09-05-2013, 04:30 AM.

I'm enough of an engineer to know there are some things that I wont mess with. There's a reason why there are mechanics and what not.

Comment

Dear Lord, I'm hearing it from everywhere. Raytheon is a big client in my Mom's job (she's an upper management hardcore lady with a company that designs and builds military whatnots) and she could tell you stories about the douchebags that work there that would blow "engineer" out of the water.

About the only good thing that came out of that company was the guy who invented the microwave.

Comment

I was a temp tech at CSC which is a spinoff of Raytheon. I was constantly amazed at the know it all attitude of some of their personnel. Hacking a government contractors email system, emailing themselves classified documents and not understanding the security breach and then yelling at te tech who discovered te breach were some of my fondest memories. I had the pleasure of spending 2 hour explaining how email worked to an upper manager. This was in 2002/2003 so this shouldn't have been a mystery to this dude.

Comment

Years and years ago, when I worked for a company that sold and installed telephone systems for companies, as the Service Agreement Coordinator, I had to write a letter to a customer company that working on your system voided out the service agreement and made the customer liable for service bills.

The tech had been out on several service calls to this one site, and the receptionist had finally admitted that VP High Muckety Muck fancied himself an engineer and would pull on wires and cables, and basically turn a simple issue into a major problem.

Mr. VP HMM was extremely angry when he got the letter, but my boss looked it over and commended me for being extremely tactful and polite, and phrasing it like: "may void the terms of your service agreement" and "may result in us billing you for service calls." But he was really mad because he was an idiot and we were letting him know that we knew he was an idiot. The receptionist did not get in trouble, because we said the tech had discovered that someone not properly trained had miswired everything.
          To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
          To pursue it with forks and hope;
          To threaten its life with a railway share;
          To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Working...
          X