Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You waren't paying for it, you aren't getting it back.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You waren't paying for it, you aren't getting it back.

A customer's issue this week brought back memories of this SC I dealt with some time ago. It stuck with me because of the.... suckiness.

Anyway, customer's issue was that his connection was dropping every 3-5 minutes. That's because the modem's signal strength to the central office was low. It was low because of a glitch that caused the line to be overprovisioned for a speed that he wasn't supposed to be getting (He had a lower speed tier, the glitched caused him to be pulling a speed that isn't even offered in his area).

I corrected the error and the speed was now the proper speed and the signal was great. I thought the call was over, to the point where I even said my closing lines. Well....

SC: Wait, why is my speed only at 1.5 when I just ran a speed test? I was downloading at close to 8 megs before!

Me: As I mentioned earlier in my recap, that's because the line was overprovisioned and it wasn't able to hold the signal. Now that I reprovisioned the line, you'll have no more drops.

SC: Yeah but now it's too slow! Give me my speed back!

Me: Sorry, but it's not possible. Firstly the modem was provisioned for a speed you can't even get in your area and second it was causing the connection to drop.

SC: But I thought they raised it to that level because of some sort of promo!

Me: No promotion here would do that. At any rate, you are paying for 1.5 and that is what you are now getting - stable. If you want more speed, you can pay extra for it, I believe the highest in your area is 3megs.

SC: *In a pouty tone.* I knew I shouldn't have bothered calling about this issue. I could have lived with the drops if I knew you were going to take my speed away.

Me: I didn't "take" anything away, sir. I simply restored your service to the level that you are paying for and can actually get reliably in your area and it fixed your issue.

SC: Yeah well I don't care, it was fast for nearly two months and I want it back.

SLD's note: Yep, he was tolerating a poor connection just because he liked getting a speed that he wasn't entitled to. At this point I had it with this SC and I admit I got a little sucky myself, but I felt I had no choice but to give him a similar situation to let him know how dumb his argument is....

Me: Sir, I'm going to ask you a question. Let's say your cable company adds some extra channels to your lineup by mistake and doesn't charge you, and it causes your picture to mess up. You call to report the issue and they fix it by removing those extra channels. Would you complain because they removed channels you weren't paying for to begin with, even if it fixed your problem?

SC: Well.... of course I wouldn't! But you're being very patronizing and it's not very nice!

Me: Sorry if I came off like that, but at this point your issue is fixed and you're good to go. Is there anything else I can help you with?

SC: No, guess not.

Me: Okay, thank you for calling [company] have a good day.

SC: Yeah bite me!

*Click.*

I guess he knew he was defeated at that point.....
    Last edited by sld72382; 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM.

Quoth sld72382 View Post
    "Already did, sir!"
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"We charge extra for that, too. A LOT extra."
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
      X