Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it the tax is already added into the price of items in the UK and marked on the signage as such?
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
      I take it the tax is already added into the price of items in the UK and marked on the signage as such?
      Indeed it is. Although the signage doesn't state "VAT already added" (or similar) it is in every store.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        Indeed it is. Although the signage doesn't state "VAT already added" (or similar) it is in every store.
        The convention is that retail prices include VAT, but business/wholesale/trade/whatever is ex VAT and says so.

The "including VAT" price in retail is a legal requirement.

Comment

Yeah, here in the Great White North, taxes are added in after the fact. Never understood why that makes a difference, as far as accounting or tracking money and stuff went. It's not like we're the states where each county has a different tax rate potentially; we only have 13 regions, many of them with common rates. At worse, tax exempt purchases would need to get a discount afterward.

Of course, now that the penny's gone too, if you're paying cash and the 2$ purchase comes out to 2.26, you're only paying 2.25$ in cash at least.

Comment

Quoth clicheguevara View Post
            Customer: How dare you! Where is your--
            No, how dare YOU, ma'am! How dare you question my intelligence and education when you don't know a damn thing about me. And how dare you question my competence when I am not only trained for this job, but showed you where you had erred. And how dare you take an attitude with me when YOU are the one that made a mistaken, not me!

How dare you, indeed! How dare you shop here, and how dare you show your face in public when you treat people you don't even know as inferiors and subordinates.

How dare you even BREATHE the same AIR as people far better than you, who know how to treat their fellow humans!

Have you no SHAME?!?!?!?

Quoth clicheguevara View Post
            I got a written warning that day for "insubordination" (not sure the boss really knows that that word meant) and being rude to a customer. I regret nothing.
            Nor should you. Fuck that manager. He's an idiot.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              No, how dare YOU, ma'am! How dare you question my intelligence and education when you don't know a damn thing about me. And how dare you question my competence when I am not only trained for this job, but showed you where you had erred. And how dare you take an attitude with me when YOU are the one that made a mistaken, not me!

How dare you, indeed! How dare you shop here, and how dare you show your face in public when you treat people you don't even know as inferiors and subordinates.

How dare you even BREATHE the same AIR as people far better than you, who know how to treat their fellow humans!

Have you no SHAME?!?!?!?
              You've done enough! Have you no sense of decency, ma'am?! At long last, have you left no sense of decency?
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"Insubordination"...Suuuure After all, the customers pay for your wages!

The only possibility that comes to mind for me is that she might from the US, and be used to shopping in a state that does not charge tax, and crossed the border en route to your store. And, of course, because every store is the same, everywhere on the planet...~_~
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ops, noticed this only now - welcome, help yourself to the cookies and the booze.

The brain bleach is... eh... someone is using it at the moment, you'll need to ask.

And congratulations for the alias, it made me laugh out loud. In the office. Which is good, because it makes me look crazy and therefore nobody bothers me.

Win.
                  FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Did the manager explain WHY you were being insubordinate or is he an automatic 'customer-is-always-right-and-employees-must-be-wrong' type of person?

I don't suffer fools well and would have either given the silent eye of death until she shut the hell up or said something similar to what Jester said. There's a reason I won't work cashier in a grocery store. I applaud and appreciate all that do though.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Customers never, ever read signs, or if they do, they only read part of it and never the entire thing. It's aggrivating, especially when they get angry with you for their own stupidity.
                      Tell me about it, the worst are the people who can't figure out that they need to write down a PLU code.
                      "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

I no longer work in retail/food service. I do programming.

That said, I'm waiting on the day when I finally complete my Undergrad (computer Science or CompSci with Math) and then get my Masters degree (probably Software Engineering).

I'll just be waiting for someone to question my intelligence...

I might say something like, "I have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science (or Computer Science and Mathematics), and a Masters Degree in Software Engineering. What are your credentials?"

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                        X