This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to save money

I witnessed this at my favorite watering hole a couple of weekends ago. As most people know, going to the bar and picking up a six-pack is cheaper than drinking six beers there. Apparently these two guys that came in had this great moneysaving idea -- just get a couple of six-packs and drink them at the bar.

The only problem with this, of course, is that no bar (at least that I know of) allows you to do that, and my guess is that it's illegal, at least in my state. I couldn't hear everything that was being said, because I was up there singing, but I did see the one guy about to twist the cap off of one of his bottles, and could hear the bartender repeatedly telling him, "You can't do that!" Thankfully, they got the message and took their six-packs and left.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

You pay more for drinks at the bar because you're paying for the atmosphere. If they're to poor for that, go home and drink. Besides, it's safer to drink at home than drive home after the bar.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      You pay more for drinks at the bar because you're paying for the atmosphere.
      among other expenses Do they bring their own food to restaurants to cut corners as well?
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The flip side, of course, is that package liquor costs the bar less. AND the license for it is usually pretty strict about not being consumed on premise.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          As most people know, going to the bar and picking up a six-pack is cheaper than drinking six beers there.
          I'm glad I visited PA a few years ago or I would not have been able to parse this sentence. As it is I was dumbfounded to find out there are states where you can go into a bar and buy beer to go. I had never seen that before.

Then again when people visit NH I'm sure some of them are shocked to see beer sold in every supermarket, gas station and convenience store they stop at.
          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
            I'm glad I visited PA a few years ago or I would not have been able to parse this sentence. As it is I was dumbfounded to find out there are states where you can go into a bar and buy beer to go. I had never seen that before.

Then again when people visit NH I'm sure some of them are shocked to see beer sold in every supermarket, gas station and convenience store they stop at.
            It's more the wine that catches me off guard. And I grew up there. Moving to NYC was originally a shock, the idea that you had to go to a Special Store for booze was WEIRD.

Now, of course, I'm an Old Jaded Booze Slinger, so nothing surprises me anymore.

Comment

Yep, beer can only be sold in bars by the six-pack, or in distributors by the case. And liquor can only be sold in state-run liquor stores. I thought it was like that everywhere until I was 17, and my brother and I took a trip with my dad and his then-girlfriend to Canada with her family. We stopped at a 7-11 in New York, and I was shocked to see beer and wine coolers in the fridge cases.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                Yep, beer can only be sold in bars by the six-pack, or in distributors by the case. And liquor can only be sold in state-run liquor stores.
                Yep, we're still stuck in the Dark Ages here in Pennsylvania. It wasn't until about 10 (?) years ago that you could even buy alcohol on Sunday
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I did bring a 6 pack pack into a bar once.

I was delivering a promised 6 pack of Yuengling beer that I had smuggled into Minnesota, to the bar manager. he was a very happy camper the next day.
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

And the HIGHWAY REST AREAS announce one of the services available as being "NH Liquor Store"
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's not just NH. Oregon is the same way. As a teenager I worked as a bottle clerk in the grocery store---I got SICK of the smell of old beer. And yes, you can buy it anywhere. Only restrictions on sales is of hard liquor, that has to be liquor stores.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        And the HIGHWAY REST AREAS announce one of the services available as being "NH Liquor Store"
                        Line from "NH State of Mind" (a parody of "NY State of Mind"):

Don't drink and drive here,
                        listen to what I say.
                        Even though we put our liquor stores
                        right on the highway!
                        You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          Yep, we're still stuck in the Dark Ages here in Pennsylvania. It wasn't until about 10 (?) years ago that you could even buy alcohol on Sunday
                          And it's not just the liquor laws that are still set in the time of William Penn either.
                          ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Line from "NH State of Mind" (a parody of "NY State of Mind"):

Don't drink and drive here,
                            listen to what I say.
                            Even though we put our liquor stores
                            right on the highway!
                            I love that song.

And it's not really all that weird when you look at it this way - that particular interstate is a common commuter route for a lot of the central-NH residents, so it's an easy way to stop and grab your evening wine on the way home from work, without having to get off a toll road.

Logic! Occasionally it exists! Although most of the NH liquor board *could* use a good dose...

Comment

Working...
                            X