This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poss. self-suck? Parking lot annoyance

Leaving the grocery store last night, it was around 8:30 so it was dark out. The parking lot for the grocery store has a few lights but nowhere near the level of the average shopping mall's parking lot.

I see someone walking behind me in my rearview mirror so I wait until they've got past. I start backing out and almost run into some snotty-looking hipster who suddenly appeared right behind my car.

I manuever past him, despite his dirty look, and - never able to just let anything go - I loudly proclaim out my window "Because it's such a good idea to walk behind vehicles that are obviously backing up!"

So how strong was the suck with me last night? I didn't see the snotty guy approaching my car, otherwise I would have waited to pull out of my spot. Shouldn't a pedestrian walking through a parking lot at night yield to vehicles? Isn't that common sense?

I try to be considerate to drivers who are backing up; I know it can be difficult to see pedestrians, as I've come close to driving over a few.

But it's also a lot easier yielding when you're sitting down and not in the middle of walking around, so I'd have to say drivers should continue to give pedestrians the right-of-way.

Now, if only those pedestrians would keep their children on a short leash when walking through a lot; it's rather disconcerting when the very top of a tyke's head pops up in your rear window...

Comment

In parking lots yeah pedestrians *should* be paying attention. I try not to walk behind vehicles that have their lights on, unless I get eye contact from the driver. This is only common sense.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        But it's also a lot easier yielding when you're sitting down and not in the middle of walking around, so I'd have to say drivers should continue to give pedestrians the right-of-way.
        It's also a bit easier for the pedestrian with zero blind spots(excluding the legally blind) to stop their 100+ pounds at 1mp/h than the driver with numerous blind spots to stop a 2000+pound vehicle at 3-5mph. Physics!
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
          It's also a bit easier for the pedestrian with zero blind spots(excluding the legally blind) to stop their 100+ pounds at 1mp/h than the driver with numerous blind spots to stop a 2000+pound vehicle at 3-5mph. Physics!
          You're right. I agree with TheSHAD0W that pedestrians should have priority anywhere off a road, but no law supercedes natural law. Occasionally when walking, I have to ask myself if I would rather be in the right and in the hospital, or let it slide.

In car parks with marked crossings and walkways, special rules apply. If I can swing a carrier bag/ my boot into a car door as a car crosses the walkway at far-too-fast mph, the driver can ask him/herself how I managed to do that if they weren't being an arse. The special rule is that 300lb of rugby player (ok, 300 of mostly lard) gets to do that with less chance of comeback.

Comment

Several years ago I had a young couple walk behind my car as I was backing out of a parking spot. I managed to stop without hitting them but the woman screamed profanity at me and the guy gave me the finger. I felt really, really bad about it...for about two minutes. That's when I realized that "I" would never step directly into the path of a car that was backing up, especially if I was stepping out from behind a big ass SUV and I knew the driver of the car had no way of seeing me. Sympathy turned to rage at the fact that it took two minutes to realize this and I had missed my opportunity to give those two self entitled douchenozzles a verbal life lesson.

Quoth bunrotha View Post
            You're right. I agree with TheSHAD0W that pedestrians should have priority anywhere off a road, but no law supercedes natural law. Occasionally when walking, I have to ask myself if I would rather be in the right and in the hospital, or let it slide.
            Same goes with car on car. Even if you have the right of way it's far better to avoid an accident than it is to have to get your car to a shop to be repaired, even if someone else's insurance is picking up the tab for the repair bill.
            You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Vehicles have bright backup lights for a reason. Not just to see behind you, but so others see that you are obviously backing up. The trend of not paying attention to the surroundings is going to put a lot more foolish pedestrians in the hospital, or worse.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I live by the words, "Greater mass = right of way" when I'm the smaller mass. My husband is fond of "There are a lot of people in the graveyard that had the right of way." Basically, the only time I get irate is if someone is driving down the "lane" and nearly runs me over. Backing up has wayyy too many blind spots, especially those small cars stuck next to a big SUV..*mutter, mutter*

I did, however, get chased down by an old biddy, because I finished my turn in front of her slow walking butt, never coming NEAR her. "Pedestrians have the right of way! You should have waited for me to finish crossing!" Lady, a mama duck and her ducklings walk across places faster than you do. Turtles cross hella faster than you do. I am not waiting that HOUR it was going to take for you to cross.. to the side of the row nowhere near me.

But boy, did she chase me down fast enough. >.<
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                  I live by the words, "Greater mass = right of way" when I'm the smaller mass. My husband is fond of "There are a lot of people in the graveyard that had the right of way." Basically, the only time I get irate is if someone is driving down the "lane" and nearly runs me over. Backing up has wayyy too many blind spots, especially those small cars stuck next to a big SUV..*mutter, mutter*

I did, however, get chased down by an old biddy, because I finished my turn in front of her slow walking butt, never coming NEAR her. "Pedestrians have the right of way! You should have waited for me to finish crossing!" Lady, a mama duck and her ducklings walk across places faster than you do. Turtles cross hella faster than you do. I am not waiting that HOUR it was going to take for you to cross.. to the side of the row nowhere near me.

But boy, did she chase me down fast enough. >.<

Hah... I remember watching an old biddy trying to use the crosswalk near our shop and someone just breezed right through, only a couple of feet away from her. She swung her cane like Babe Ruth and smacked the back of the guy's car with it! He didn't stop but it was pretty funny to see.

Comment

It's extra fun when you're in a tractor-trailer, backing up to a loading dock, AT NIGHT, and people just wander around behind you going from the office to their trucks like you can see them back there. Many times I've been maneuvering and have to slam on my brakes because someone decides that is a perfectly acceptable time to walk behind me. If I can see them before they cross, it's not so bad, but I don't know how many times I've seen them as they're coming out from behind me.

Comment

If it weren't for the meeting with the safety director, it would be a refreshing change of events to notice some of these idiots only when chocking my wheels. After all, they'd NEVER walk behind another truck that was backing up.

BTW, I'm sure you've all heard about cyclists getting "doored". I almost got "doored" this week, but if I hadn't been able to stop in time I wouldn't have been hurt - and the door would have been torn off the car. Clueless people not only don't notice bikes before they fling their door open, they also don't notice 18 wheelers.
                      Last edited by wolfie; 09-28-2013, 11:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Unfortunately, I suspect if you DID rip their door of, they'd become extremely observant all of a sudden to get you numberplate for a lawsuit. And extremely forgetful about their own mistakes.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          If it weren't for the meeting with the safety director, it would be a refreshing change of events to notice some of these idiots only when chocking my wheels. After all, they'd NEVER walk behind another truck that was backing up.
                          There's a sticker that's been promoted from "bumper sticker" to "corporate safety sign" on trucks in these parts: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you."

Still have the same idiots round here walking behind a truck, even with flashing hazards or beacons, new-fangled white-noise type beeping reversing sounder, and in the case of construction sites, a banksman in hi-vis kit directing the truck.

Apparently, proximity-sensing tasers instead of reversing lights is not DfT approved safety gear. Apparently.

Comment

Working...
                          X