This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Zapper View Post
    Something to keep in mind. The Wii can also play GameCube games. Just need a GameCube memory card and a controller or two. Those, and the games, are dirt cheap nowadays.
    Family edition does not support GameCube. While I can get a refurbished wii for dirt cheap nowadays, I'd rather not take my chances should things screw up.

ETA: I've made the decision to get the console in a couple of weeks time, as I'll get paid extra for working over the holidays (not penalty rates, I get more hours ), so I'll let you guys know what I've gotten.

So far though, the list is looking like this:

-Mario Kart Wii (comes with the console)
    -Wii Music
    -Wii Play/Party
    -Mario Party 8 (if I can get it cheap).

I may end up borrowing a couple of games from my boyfriend as well, along with a couple of controllers.
    Last edited by fireheart; 09-18-2013, 11:28 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

BoomBlox is a favourite party game for me, well worth picking up for cheap
      "don't go to the neighbors,that's just what the fire expects you to do"-phillippbo
      "Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
      Support bacteria.They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

So I now has my console.

Surprisingly it didn't take me that long to set up. Just plug into powerboard and TV, ensure that you get the right input (we finally disconnected our old dinosaur of a VCR as we no longer use it) and away we went. I had some issues with the sensor bar not reading the remote if I had it on top of the TV, but once I put it below the screen it worked fine.
        I have the Family edition of the console, which means that I can't play Gamecube games, but that was never really a deciding factor for me anyway.

Managed to get through Mario Kart Wii very nicely and moved through the 50cc kart cup very quickly...although I screwed up on Rainbow Road and kept forgetting that I had the wheel instead of using it like an ordinary nremote.

As for Wii Music, I'm still struggling to get the hang of using the nunchuck AND the remote at the same time, but that'll take time.

I'm picking up more games next week. Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

Does it have a port to plug in a wireless remote? That's the only way I can play Mario Kart. I just can't hack using the wheel wii-mote.

I know I'm coming in a bit late, but Cooking Mama was pretty good. We got it pretty cheap when we bought our first Wii. I admit we haven't used it in a while, but I know DaDairyDruid will fire it up when he wants to play Mario Kart.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            So I now has my console.

Surprisingly it didn't take me that long to set up. Just plug into powerboard and TV, ensure that you get the right input (we finally disconnected our old dinosaur of a VCR as we no longer use it) and away we went. I had some issues with the sensor bar not reading the remote if I had it on top of the TV, but once I put it below the screen it worked fine.
            There's an option in the settings (select the Wii icon in the bottom, then Select Wii settings and it's on page 2 labelled 'Sensor Bar') that lets you choose where the bar is. Odds are it was set to be below the TV which caused the screw up.

Managed to get through Mario Kart Wii very nicely and moved through the 50cc kart cup very quickly...although I screwed up on Rainbow Road and kept forgetting that I had the wheel instead of using it like an ordinary nremote.
            Wait till the 100 or 150cc races. You will learn to loathe the blue shell.

As for Wii Music, I'm still struggling to get the hang of using the nunchuck AND the remote at the same time, but that'll take time.
            If you have Wii sports (not sure if it comes with the family pack or not) give boxing a try, it will really help you to learn that mechanic.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
              Does it have a port to plug in a wireless remote? That's the only way I can play Mario Kart. I just can't hack using the wheel wii-mote.
              [highlighted for emphasis]

I assume you mean "Can I plug in a classic controller to my wiimote" and yes, you can. There's a plug on the bottom of the Wii Remotes for you to plug in a Nunchuck or (if you're using the first remotes) MotionPlus (mine came with it built in). You can also plug a classic controller into the same port and use it that way (you don't need to wield the Wii Remote at the same time).

Classic controllers are going on my list (since there are a few older games I want).

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              There's an option in the settings (select the Wii icon in the bottom, then Select Wii settings and it's on page 2 labelled 'Sensor Bar') that lets you choose where the bar is. Odds are it was set to be below the TV which caused the screw up.
              I actually had it set to above the TV, where I had originally set it. I managed to fix it by moving the sensor bar and then changing it to below the TV.

Wait till the 100 or 150cc races. You will learn to loathe the blue shell.
              I kept loathing it during the 50cc races >.< SO MANY TIMES.
              I am currently using Toad and experimenting with the different bikes, although I'm going to most likely switch over to a medium weight character (ie Mario/Luigi) to unlock more characters while playing 150cc.

If you have Wii sports (not sure if it comes with the family pack or not) give boxing a try, it will really help you to learn that mechanic.
              Mine came with Mario Kart instead of Wii Sports. I will be getting Wii Sports next week though, along with Wii Play.

To be honest, the box deceived me, I actually thought the Family Edition was going to be BIGGER than its regular counterpart. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be about the same size. Thankfully its size worked in my favour, as it now takes pride of place on top of the TV cabinet next to the TV. The box was also very nicely packed...very handy for when I move out in a few weeks.

Also, the Wii Music conductor DOES sound like a Russian Elmo.
              Last edited by fireheart; 10-05-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

To be honest, the box deceived me, I actually thought the Family Edition was going to be BIGGER than its regular counterpart. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be about the same size. Thankfully its size worked in my favour, as it now takes pride of place on top of the TV cabinet next to the TV. The box was also very nicely packed...very handy for when I move out in a few weeks.
                The only version that is a different size is a special red and black Wii Mini that is a Canadian exclusive version. Like the Family Editions (which is the same size as the original release but no Gamecube support) it came shipped with Mario Kart.

Here's Nintendo's site on the Wii Mini.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Our wireless remote is actually from a Gamecube we had (note, not the same, but similar).
                  Random conversation:
                  Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                  DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

we have a wavebird wireless gamecube remote. they are no longer being made, but very worth it if you can find them.

but if your wii is not gamecube compatable, you may not have the ports for the gamecube remotes/memory cards that older models do.
                    Last edited by DaDairyDruid; 10-06-2013, 06:58 PM.
                    Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                    Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                    Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Working...
                    X