This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brain owie

She was nice. Very kind, thanked me for my patience several times, thanked me for my help, told me if she had to call back, she'd warn me so I could hide. In no way was she sucky. But I still want to take away the computer before she hurts anyone else.

25 minutes. That’s how long I helped her with her very simple problem. Note: we were doing this over the phone. New barcode means new log in to our website. Log in is username = barcode; password = LASTNAME (as a default--you can change it). I knew she’d be trouble when I had a rambling 8 minute voicemail from her. I hoped I could tell her the problem (her browser still had the old barcode saved as the username in it. I knew I was wrong when she was describing the log in process thus: “Username. So that’s my last name in all caps . . .”

Some choice tidbits:
    “What browser do you use?”
    “Hmm, umm. I have Windows 7.”

When asking about the toolbar options on the browser:
    “Do you see either a bright orange button that says Firefox and has a white downward pointing arrow next to it?”
    “Ummm . . .”
    “It’s okay if you don’t; not all versions have that. Do you see a list that says something like File, Edit, View . . .?”
    “I’m seeing My Computer, Norton Antivirus, Recycle Bin.”

Somehow she gets a browser open. She doesn’t have the same names I’m listing. Instead of options, there’s internet options. Um, do you have ie open instead of ff? Oh, hm, yup. Dunno how that happened! Did you read the exchange above? We repeat the part where she goes looking for the browser toolbar on the desktop.

Since that wasn’t working, we started from the beginning: Start button. Firefox. And I start listing the ‘file, edit, etc’ menus again.
    “Hmm, the Firefox dropdown says: New Tab, Start Private Browsing, Edit . . .”
    *headdesk*
    “You mean the bright orange button that says Firefox and has a white arrow pointing down?”
    “Yes, that’s it!”
    *headdesk*
    *headdesk*

From there on out I thought I was golden, but when it came time for Firefox to offer to save the damn password, she instead got something from xfinity asking to save her password. I bowed out there. At least she’d clicked the ‘keep logged in’ box.

--
    Bonus sillies:

Should've picked the dictionary
    I ran a survey around our print reference collection. We had paper surveys and an online survey. In it, I defined our print reference collection & described where it was located in the building. My favorite responses (one from the paper survey, one from the online):
    1. What print reference resources do you use? [description & location of print reference materials.]
    Brilliant answer a: computers
    Brilliant answer b: internet

I have got to get my coworkers to stop printing out the whole internet again!

--

Grammar Police: ur doin it wrong
    Had someone [attempt to] correct the spelling on a sign announcing that fall programing was coming soon. Programing and programming are both correct, though the double m is slightly more common.

Bah, you'd only need, like, five printers to print out Wikipedia. That's most of the internet right there... right?

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
      Bah, you'd only need, like, five printers to print out Wikipedia. That's most of the internet right there... right?
      Six: http://what-if.xkcd.com/59/
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I can only imagine the grant application for this . . .

Yeah, I'd like to ask the federal government or maybe the Gates foundation for an annual donation of 6 million dollars so my computer challenged patrons can read wikipedia in print, up to date, all the time.

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
          I ran a survey around our print reference collection. We had paper surveys and an online survey. In it, I defined our print reference collection & described where it was located in the building. My favorite responses (one from the paper survey, one from the online):
          1. What print reference resources do you use? [description & location of print reference materials.]
          Brilliant answer a: computers
          Brilliant answer b: internet

Love it! Thanks for the laugh!
          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
          X