This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a living donor - kidney and bone marrow

It seems a lot of my friends and their families have been facing medical issues requiring these two things. I'd like to find a good widespread national registry to join to become a donor and am trying to figure how I go about signing up, getting tested, and being added to such lists so I could be contacted if I was needed. Is anyone in the USA familiar with the process and costs? Thank you for any information you might have.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    It seems a lot of my friends and their families have been facing medical issues requiring these two things. I'd like to find a good widespread national registry to join to become a donor and am trying to figure how I go about signing up, getting tested, and being added to such lists so I could be contacted if I was needed. Is anyone in the USA familiar with the process and costs? Thank you for any information you might have.
    If you have a regular doctor, that's who I would call. Otherwise, call the main number for your local hospital and tell the operator you have questions about organ donations from a living donor; they should be able to direct your call to someone who can (at least) point you in the right direction.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I would think you would want to find your way to a transplant coordinator of some fashion, and I think they are generally located in the hospitals.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I am registered for Bone Marrow and the national registery is http://bethematch.org/Home.aspx To register for it I just gave a blood sample while doing a donation at the local blood bank.

This is the national kidney donation site and they have info about donating as well http://www.kidney.org/

Hope this helps :-)

Comment

As far as the marrow donation try your local blood bank. Hubby was sent a kit that took cells from his cheek that they had him send in.
          "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

LillFilly, I would just like to say this:

And most of all:
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As others have said, bethematch is in charge of the bone marrow registry. Your local blood bank should be able to hook you up. Bone marrow transplant is a lot less traumatic than it used to be: now you get an injection of a drug that causes some marrow to "leak" out of your bones, and an utterly standard blood separator pulls the cells out of your bloodstream a few days later. I've been hooked up to such a machine a hundred or so times to donate platelets; it's no big deal at all. (The old procedure involved turning your pelvis into swiss cheese with a drill and sucking out the marrow with a needle.)

For kidney donation there is no standard national registry; you'd have to contact the transplant team for the person you'd like to be tested for. If you'd like to donate as a pure non-directed donor (meaning you'd like to offer a kidney to whomever needs one), you'll need to call around to transplant; many centers won't even take them. You'll then get some blood tests, along with extensive psychological screening. (That said, such donations are extremely valuable due to the relatively recent practice of "donor chaining", and the "chains" require a non-directed donation to start.)

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                (That said, such donations are extremely valuable due to the relatively recent practice of "donor chaining", and the "chains" require a non-directed donation to start.)
                Not sure if I understand "donor chaining". Does it mean:

- Person "A" needs a transplant. Relative A1 is willing to donate, but isn't a match. They do match person "B", however.
                - Person "B" needs a transplant. Relative B1 is willing to donate, but isn't a match. They do match person "C", however.
                - Lather, rinse, repeat.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Not sure if I understand "donor chaining". Does it mean: - Person "A" needs a transplant. Relative A1 is willing to donate, but isn't a match. They do match person "B", however. - Person "B" needs a transplant. Relative B1 is willing to donate, but isn't a match. They do match person "C", however. - Lather, rinse, repeat.
                  That's it exactly.

Comment

Working...
                  X